Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I claimed the credit four years ago, when I bought my 3. I recall entering the VIN on the form for the credit, but that's all. Don't think I had to submit any additional documentation, though it's been a while, and of course the procedure may have changed.

Did you buy a 7-seat Y ? As far as I am aware, the only Ys that were eligible for the credit at the time you purchased were of the 7-seat variety, because with their third row, they're considered SUVs and thus qualify for the higher maximum price under the tax credit eligibility requirements. Of course, since Tesla cut prices a week ago, subsequent purchases of the 5-seat Y are eligible, provided that the price remains below $55k.
Im assuming form 8936? That's good to know if all i have to do is enter basic information. I got the 5-seat as soon as they reduced prices under $55k. Mine was $52,990 so I qualified for the full credit.

Yes, exactly. Sorry, I misread the date in your earlier post. Of course at that price point, your purchase qualifies. Enjoy it! We pick ours up tomorrow!
A quick question, I ordered MY long range + induction wheels = $54,4990... with destination + fee will be over 55K, not sure about the invoice but Tesla state eligible for 7,5K tax credit... any thoughts? Thanks!

A quick question, I ordered MY long range + induction wheels = $54,4990... with destination + fee will be over 55K, not sure about the invoice but Tesla state eligible for 7,5K tax credit... any thoughts? Thanks!
As I understand, your configuration qualifies for the $7500 credit too. "This price includes optional equipment physically attached to the vehicle at the time of delivery and excludes software features, accessories, taxes and fees."

Hi all, new member here. I just took delivery of a 2023 Model Y on 1-15-2023. Before I bought, the Tesla site said my car is eligible for the $7500 EV tax credit. However, I never received any tax documents from the dealership before I left. So my question is:

For tesla buyers who claimed a tax credit in the past, did you get any paperwork from Tesla to claim the credit? Do you need any paperwork from Tesla to claim the $7500 credit?

The IRS websites says I should get something at the point of sale...
"The sale qualifies only if:
  • You buy the vehicle new
  • The seller reports required information to you at the time of sale and to the IRS.
    • Sellers are required to report your name and taxpayer identification number to the IRS for you to be eligible to claim the credit."

You realize (perhaps you dont), that this would be filed on your taxes you file next year this time, right? Tesla has all this year to report your sale on 01/15/23 to the IRS. They just need to do it before the end of this year.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Does anyone know if we need to file separately in order to qualify for the credit, can the registration have both of our names on it? Or it can only have the name (1 name) of whomever plan on claiming the credit on their return?

Does anyone know if we need to file separately in order to qualify for the credit, can the registration have both of our names on it? Or it can only have the name (1 name) of whomever plan on claiming the credit on their return?
Yes, If both names are on the title and you are filing Married filing separately, either spouse can take the EV tax credit on their own tax return.

Please keep in mine source is from 2023 tax return, you will need to file 2024 tax and it would be similar.

Source: EV Tax credit 2023 - Married Filing Separately

Yes, If both names are on the title and you are filing Married filing separately, either spouse can take the EV tax credit on their own tax return.

Please keep in mine source is from 2023 tax return, you will need to file 2024 tax and it would be similar.

Source: EV Tax credit 2023 - Married Filing Separately
thank you!

another Q - does anyone know whether the cost to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and the purchase of the mobile connector can qualify for the alternative fuel infra tax credit? Alternative Fuels Data Center: Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit

We had a MY test drive yesterday and were planning to place an order today, however, the representative at the showroom told me that to qualify for $7500 federal credit,
1. Delivery must be before Mar 1st (not Mar 31st which was my assumption)
2. It must be first 20000 cars.

I looked online (including IRS website Credits for New Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov) and I can't find those two conditions anywhere.

It seems like the credit could be available for a lot longer as IRS+Treasury are still figuring out rules and ll publish around Mar with a 60 day comment period so final rules may not be applicable till Jun 2023 (A Closer Look At Forthcoming Tax Guidance On Electric Vehicle Credits (forbes.com))

Am I missing anything?

We had a MY test drive yesterday and were planning to place an order today, however, the representative at the showroom told me that to qualify for $7500 federal credit,
1. Delivery must be before Mar 1st (not Mar 31st which was my assumption)
2. It must be first 20000 cars.

I looked online (including IRS website Credits for New Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov) and I can't find those two conditions anywhere.

It seems like the credit could be available for a lot longer as IRS+Treasury are still figuring out rules and ll publish around Mar with a 60 day comment period so final rules may not be applicable till Jun 2023 (A Closer Look At Forthcoming Tax Guidance On Electric Vehicle Credits (forbes.com))

Am I missing anything?
Never heard of 20,000 limit. That is not true.

As for March, all I heard is March, not March 1st or March 31st. So it's left to interpretation.

Good Day,
Thanks in advance for reading my questions to answer them. I am based in New Jersey, filing Joint taxes with my spouse. Our AFI is more than 300K so will not be qualified for the 7500 tax credit. I plan to buy Model Y and here are my questions. Basically I will be the primary driver for the Car.
1. I have asked my colleague (whose AGI is less than 300k) if he could be the co owner along with me, and he is okay with it. So He and I will be the co-owners of the car. I am not sure, if in general he gets tax refund every year or not. Q: In this case, can he claim the $7500 tax credit ?
2. I plan to buy the car with cash(basically no loan). Q: Would we both still have to see each other's financials like salary ?
3. From what I have. understood, any one of us can add it to insurance, so I will be the one on the insurance.
4. For how long, do I need to keep him as a co-owner of the car ?

Thank you for your time.