Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should be more transparent as to how they actually calculate the least payment. Cap cost, residual, money factor. They just show a monthly payment number and that’s it.

They could just be saying they include the $7500 rebate just so people stop asking about it and then manipulate the numbers elsewhere to make up for it.

Tesla should be more transparent as to how they actually calculate the least payment. Cap cost, residual, money factor. They just show a monthly payment number and that’s it.

They could just be saying they include the $7500 rebate just so people stop asking about it and then manipulate the numbers elsewhere to make up for it.
Why? What impact does Tesla's side have?
Acquisition, monthly, and termination amounts (total cost over 3 years) is all that is relevant to the leasee since they can't buy the car at the end.

Why? What impact does Tesla's side have?
Acquisition, monthly, and termination amounts (total cost over 3 years) is all that is relevant to the leasee since they can't buy the car at the end.
More information helps people make more informed financial decisions instead of simply “can I afford this monthly payment”. Without seeing the numbers we don’t really know if and how Tesla is passing along said tax credit on leases other than “trust me bro”.

Reactions: yyds88321
More information helps people make more informed financial decisions instead of simply “can I afford this monthly payment”. Without seeing the numbers we don’t really know if and how Tesla is passing along said tax credit on leases other than “trust me bro”.

What's the informed decision though? If a lease is $4,500 down and $400 a month, what difference does it make what the dealer side profit is? Would you choose a more expensive lease because the brand makes less money on the car?

The Commercial Clean Vehicle credit for a lease doesn't itself transfer to the consumer, it only shows up as a change in those numbers.

Or is the issue not the numbers themselves, but the potential that the brand is misleading the consumer? In which case you would buy a different one?

Last edited:
Tesla site says tax credit may not be available for 2024 MY’s. I assume this is because the country of origins percentages might change for 2024’s?

I’m interested in buying a new MY. Kinda hoping to wait until closer to the end of the year to increase the odds of a quarter/year end discount price but I’m also worried I’ll wait too long and lose the tax credit.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Tesla site says tax credit may not be available for 2024 MY’s. I assume this is because the country of origins percentages might change for 2024’s?

I’m interested in buying a new MY. Kinda hoping to wait until closer to the end of the year to increase the odds of a quarter/year end discount price but I’m also worried I’ll wait too long and lose the tax credit.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks.
Do you have $7,500 in federal tax liability this year? If so, I'd lean toward getting it now.

Percentages on minerals and components go up 10% and Chinese content may make cars ineligible.

I assume it's just a classic scare tactic used by sales people for years.
The law changes the requirements:
1) C RITICAL MINERALS REQUIREMENT.—
‘‘(A) IN GENERAL.—The requirement described in this
subparagraph with respect to a vehicle is that, with respect
to the battery from which the electric motor of such vehicle
draws electricity, the percentage of the value of the
applicable critical minerals (as defined in section 45X(c)(6))
contained in such battery that were—
‘‘(i) extracted or processed—
‘‘(I) in the United States, or
‘‘(II) in any country with which the United
States has a free trade agreement in effect, or
‘‘(ii) recycled in North America,
is equal to or greater than the applicable percentage (as
certified by the qualified manufacturer, in such form or
manner as prescribed by the Secretary).
‘‘(B) APPLICABLE PERCENTAGE.—For purposes of
subparagraph (A), the applicable percentage shall be—
‘‘(i) in the case of a vehicle placed in service after
the date on which the proposed guidance described
in paragraph (3)(B) is issued by the Secretary and
before January 1, 2024, 40 percent,
‘‘(ii) in the case of a vehicle placed in service during
calendar year 2024, 50 percent,

‘‘(iii) in the case of a vehicle placed in service
during calendar year 2025, 60 percent,
‘‘(iv) in the case of a vehicle placed in service
during calendar year 2026, 70 percent, and
‘‘(v) in the case of a vehicle placed in service after
December 31, 2026, 80 percent.
‘‘(2) BATTERY COMPONENTS.—
‘‘(A) IN GENERAL.—The requirement described in this
subparagraph with respect to a vehicle is that, with respect to the battery from which the electric motor of such vehicle draws electricity, the percentage of the value of the components contained in such battery that were manufactured or assembled in North America is equal to or greater than
the applicable percentage (as certified by the qualified
manufacturer, in such form or manner as prescribed by
the Secretary).
‘‘(B) APPLICABLE PERCENTAGE.—For purposes of
subparagraph (A), the applicable percentage shall be—
‘‘(i) in the case of a vehicle placed in service after
the date on which the proposed guidance described
in paragraph (3)(B) is issued by the Secretary and
before January 1, 2024, 50 percent,
‘‘(ii) in the case of a vehicle placed in service during
calendar year 2024 or 2025, 60 percent,

‘‘(iii) in the case of a vehicle placed in service
during calendar year 2026, 70 percent,
‘‘(iv) in the case of a vehicle placed in service
during calendar year 2027, 80 percent,
‘‘(v) in the case of a vehicle placed in service during
calendar year 2028, 90 percent,
‘‘(vi) in the case of a vehicle placed in service
after December 31, 2028, 100 percent

‘(7) EXCLUDED ENTITIES.—For purposes of this section, the term ‘new clean vehicle’ shall not include—
‘‘(A) any vehicle placed in service after December 31, 2024, with respect to which any of the applicable critical minerals contained in the battery of such vehicle (as described in subsection (e)(1)(A)) were extracted, processed, or recycled by a foreign entity of concern (as defined in section 40207(a)(5) of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (42 U.S.C. 18741(a)(5))), or
‘‘(B) any vehicle placed in service after December 31, 2023, with respect to which any of the components con- tained in the battery of such vehicle (as described in sub- section (e)(2)(A)) were manufactured or assembled by a foreign entity of concern (as so defined).’’

If the tax credit changes, it won't be for model year 2024 MYs (though Tesla doesn't really use model years as other car manufacturers), but for a sale happening after January 1, 2024. (Or any other date that the law changes the requirements.)

Reactions: mongo
Can someone clarify for me whether I qualify for the $7500 tax credit?

I have a 2022 Model Y and took delivery in May of 2022.

The Tesla website as well as news sites say it should qualify but I found a IRS article that says that it's over the 200k production limit so it's not eligible but I'm not sure if the Inflation Reduction Act changed that requirement? Thank you.

The Tesla website as well as news sites say it should qualify but I found a IRS article that says that it's over the 200k production limit so it's not eligible but I'm not sure if the Inflation Reduction Act changed that requirement? Thank you.
You do not qualify, the credit is for cars received in the calendar year 2023, meaning the tax credit would be received when you file taxes in march-April of 2024

Reactions: Notadog

No. 2022 purchase does not count. It was reinstated for Tesla starting with 2023 purchases.

Reactions: Notadog
I’m trying to decide between new and used… and to make things more complicated the Highland update sounds very interesting!!

The Tesla website mentions that the $7,500 incentive on the 3 (and I assume Y) MAY be reduced to $3,750 after Jan 1, 2024.

Now I do not wish to “cast aspersions,” but that certainly Sounds like a typical sales pitch just to move product at the end of the year.

So does anyone happen to know if the batteries in the 3 and the Y… meet the 50% requirement for 2024??

I’m trying to decide between new and used… and to make things more complicated the Highland update sounds very interesting!!

The Tesla website mentions that the $7,500 incentive on the 3 (and I assume Y) MAY be reduced to $3,750 after Jan 1, 2024.

Now I do not wish to “cast aspersions,” but that certainly Sounds like a typical sales pitch just to move product at the end of the year.

So does anyone happen to know if the batteries in the 3 and the Y… meet the 50% requirement for 2024??
From what I have heard, the Y battery is manufactured at Giga Nevada. Anticipation is that the MYLR should keep the full rebate. The RWD model I don't believe will.

That said, any of this could change. The government could just up and decide to end the credit. We will know when we get there.

From what I have heard, the Y battery is manufactured at Giga Nevada. Anticipation is that the MYLR should keep the full rebate. The RWD model I don't believe will.

That said, any of this could change. The government could just up and decide to end the credit. We will know when we get there.
That’s just one part of the requirements. The other part is where the minerals are sourced from and what %.