Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my MYLR in late January (2023) and took delivery in late March. I have no IRS15400 in my account.

I tried sending a text to the number that was used to communicate with me about my delivery appointment back in March. I asked how or when I would get the document considering I didn't remember ever being asked for my Tax ID during the order sequence. This is the response I received:

"In the coming months, we will notify customers who took delivery prior to this upcoming app release and provide them an opportunity to submit their tax ID, in order to provide them the document for their tax filing. At this time there is no ETA on when this will be released."

I ordered my MYLR in late January (2023) and took delivery in late March. I have no IRS15400 in my account.

I tried sending a text to the number that was used to communicate with me about my delivery appointment back in March. I asked how or when I would get the document considering I didn't remember ever being asked for my Tax ID during the order sequence. This is the response I received:

"In the coming months, we will notify customers who took delivery prior to this upcoming app release and provide them an opportunity to submit their tax ID, in order to provide them the document for their tax filing. At this time there is no ETA on when this will be released."

All sellers have until 1/15/24 to report 2023 qualified sales to the IRS. I hope its not "coming months".

Reactions: GuyFromGPT

Call and ask to have your VIN checked for having “opted in” at time of purchase. If you have, no form is needed…I believe.

just to share https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/s/usvW9cJLuV hope this helps if anyone is still not seeing the form

Credit to u/30jaykay for spotting this and sharing - Tesla is allowing users to request an IRS form 15400 to be generated. As far as I can tell this only works for CURRENTLY OWNED vehicles, and doesn't appear to allow for other things like changing to a different co-registrant, etc. But it's a step in the right direction.

Looks like you can request a form to be generated on the Tesla website.

1. ⁠⁠Login to Tesla Account from a web browser not an app
  2. ⁠⁠Check under documents if you see the document called “IRA Clean Vehicle Credit Report”
  3. ⁠⁠If you see this – you don’t have to do anything!
  4. ⁠⁠If you do not see document
  5. ⁠⁠Login to Tesla Account from web browser not the app (if already logged in ignore)
  6. ⁠⁠Go to ? Icon at top left corner of the browser
  7. ⁠⁠Click the “Contact Us button”
  8. ⁠⁠Select Ask Question
  9. ⁠⁠Generate 2023 IRA document
  10. ⁠⁠Select VIN
  11. ⁠⁠SSN - do it on the private machine as its not masked
  12. ⁠⁠Submit - – get message Your document will be available in the Documents section of your Tesla Account within 24 hours
Mobile users: click Menu > Support > scroll down to Contact Us

seems like IRS is extending this deadline based on this headline (paywall) - IRS gives auto dealers more time to submit sales reports for tax credits

I believe that is for 2024 sales.

Report 2023 Information to the IRS​

Rev. Proc. 2022-42, Section 6.03 provides that sellers must file reports within fifteen days after the end of the calendar year (i.e., January 15, 2024). The IRS is extending the due date sellers have to provide these reports until January 31, 2024. As a result, for vehicles placed in service in calendar year 2023, you must submit required information about a qualifying clean vehicle sale to the IRS by January 31, 2024.

Well thanks for the info. I was feeling crappy and woke up around 2:30 am and saw these posts. The good news - I did it and now have my credit form.

The bad news - I just ran an antigen test and it seems to be positive for covid.

I hope this web page does not have a virus ;)

Reactions: Skavatar