Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credit 2023 [The tax credit discussion thread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long does Tesla take to send the form, I applied for it online from the Tesla website and that was 2 weeks ago for my cars.

This would have been better if they ad iload d the form on out Tesla account vs waiting for the form to arrive.
Mine showed up almost immediately after I submitted the online request. I filed again earlier last week and I'm still getting the same rejection notice where the IRS is rejecting my VIN. Just submitted again a few minutes ago, if it won't allow me to file online by March then I guess I'm going to attempt to mail in my return.

Mine showed up almost immediately after I submitted the online request. I filed again earlier last week and I'm still getting the same rejection notice where the IRS is rejecting my VIN. Just submitted again a few minutes ago, if it won't allow me to file online by March then I guess I'm going to attempt to mail in my return.
This seems to me like a Tesla problem, not an IRS problem. Mailing in your return is likely to yield exactly the same result because it appears Tesla filed the wrong information (or maybe no information at all).

Reactions: Skavatar
most likely Tesla's fault. we got our M3 way back in Feb 2023. we had to submit the online request Jan 2024 to get it signed, don't even know if they actually sent it in to the IRS. they should have submitted it within a few days after taking our cash.

This seems to me like a Tesla problem, not an IRS problem. Mailing in your return is likely to yield exactly the same result because it appears Tesla filed the wrong information (or maybe no information at all).
I got off the phone with Tesla (4th time calling them) and they basically told me if I have the 15400 form in my documents then all the paperwork is done on their end. They insist that the problem lies with the IRS and that I need to call them to ensure there are no typos regarding the VIN on their end. Hah, so yeah, kinda stuck in limbo right now. Guess I'll give the IRS a call some time this week.

There's a Reddit thread that gives me some hope:
Several people are in the same boat I am where their tax return keeps getting rejected. A couple of people who got their 15400 earlier than me finally got their return approved 5ish weeks after their form was generated and switching to TurboTax (not sure if switching to TurboTax had anything to do with it or if the VIN finally showed up at the IRS). I guess I will try once more with FreeTaxUSA on the 1st and if that doesn't work then I'll try with TurboTax and then if that doesn't work...I guess my only option is to paper file. Hopefully the IRS can give me some good news when I call but I don't have much hope on that front.

It's extremely irritating because Tesla heavily advertised the tax credit and I would not have purchased the vehicle if it was not for that. I have plans for that money and now that plus my typical tax refund is in limbo. Over the past several months Tesla was fine sending me in-app notifications and emails regarding products and services they were selling but not once could inform me about the 15400 process and request my SSN. I had to find that out through a forum post and when I initially called several weeks ago I was told the 15400 form was not auto-generated because I had "opted out" (I did not...I was not even aware). They really dropped the ball on this.

In Tesla's defense, the new IRA rules were supposed to take effect Jan 1, 2023 but the IRA/ Dept of Treasury said in late 2022 they were punting on the official guidance until sometime in 2023 and eventually released it in April.
This created a block of time where neither the old system nor new were fully in effect. Result was Tesla kept running with the old way and had to retroactively update buyer data when the IRS said that the new IRA reporting systen was required for all 2023 sales.

In Tesla's defense, the new IRA rules were supposed to take effect Jan 1, 2023 but the IRA/ Dept of Treasury said in late 2022 they were punting on the official guidance until sometime in 2023 and eventually released it in April.
This created a block of time where neither the old system nor new were fully in effect. Result was Tesla kept running with the old way and had to retroactively update buyer data when the IRS said that the new IRA reporting systen was required for all 2023 sales.
True...but I feel like they could have done a much better job once those guidelines were released back in April. They are a technology focused company and have several ways to communicate with us whether it be through phone, email, car notifications, or in app notifications. They never reached out to any customers directly who bought before the guidelines were finalized to provide their SSN so that Tesla could do their part to submit the 15400/VIN to the IRS (even telling me when I called that I had "opted out"). Their solution was to create a not-so-apparent online tool in January of 2024 for users to generate the form themselves and they did not even communicate this tool to said users...people had to find out either by contacting Tesla directly or by searching online (like I did).

Last edited:
True...but I feel like they could have done a much better job once those guidelines were released back in April. They are a technology focused company and have several ways to communicate with us whether it be through phone, email, car notifications, or in app notifications. They never reached out to any customers directly who bought before the guidelines were finalized to provide their SSN so that Tesla could do their part to submit the 15400/VIN to the IRS (even telling me when I called that I had "opted out"). Their solution was to create a not-so-apparent online tool in January of 2024 for users to generate the form themselves and they did not even communicate this tool to said users...people had to find out either by contacting Tesla directly or by searching online (like I did).
Yeah, communication could have been better at the end, but I'm not sure the April guidance informed them of the (somewhat retroactive) reporting requirement versus it being made apparent nearer EOY or Jan 15th when people would have started getting rejected.

Reactions: DonnieTC
FYI (1) I ordered my MYLR around March of 2022 (2) Picked up my MYLR in late Nov of 2022 (3) VIN # said it's a 2023 model.
Gave all info to my CPA for 2023 tax purpose without any expectation .
My CPA informed me yesterday that I am qualified for $7500 2023 tax credit. I am a happy camper.
Enjoy yours

FYI (1) I ordered my MYLR around March of 2022 (2) Picked up my MYLR in late Nov of 2022 (3) VIN # said it's a 2023 model.
Gave all info to my CPA for 2023 tax purpose without any expectation .
My CPA informed me yesterday that I am qualified for $7500 2023 tax credit. I am a happy camper.
Enjoy yours
If I'm reading correctly, your CPA is wrong.
Tesla were not eligible for any credits on vehicles put into service in 2022 due to having previously exceeded the maximum vehicle sales and the end of the phase out period.
The IRA reset of the limits did not take effect until 2023.
Further, a vehicle put into service in 2022 would not be claimed on your 2023 (tax year, not filing date) taxes. Vehicle model year is irrelevant.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/what-you-need-know-about-federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out

If I'm reading correctly, your CPA is wrong.
Tesla were not eligible for any credits on vehicles put into service in 2022 due to having previously exceeded the maximum vehicle sales and the end of the phase out period.
The IRA reset of the limits did not take effect until 2023.
Further, a vehicle put into service in 2022 would not be claimed on your 2023 (tax year, not filing date) taxes. Vehicle model year is irrelevant.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/what-you-need-know-about-federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out
My accountant told me the same thing. I was not eligible for the federal tax $7500 for my 2022 Y that I took delivery on September 19th 2022.
I still love my Y

Reactions: mongo
I was wrong... if CPA put in Nov 2022 (when car received) for 2023 tax year , it was rejected.
If he put in Jan 2023 (if car received) for 2023 tax year , it went thru but when submitting it said data don't match

Good to see that there is a check to see when the car was put in service. So TSLA is reporting that too, not just VIN?

Good to see that there is a check to see when the car was put in service. So TSLA is reporting that too, not just VIN?
I think it's just the SSN/VIN. The guidelines that required the dealer to submit the SSN/VIN wasn't finalized until April of 2023. Since CMPT took delivery in 2022 Tesla has no reason to report their SSN/VIN to the IRS. Many of us who took delivery in early 2023 while guidelines were still in limbo are running into issues with the IRS recognizing our VIN because Tesla never requested our SSN to submit our SSN/VIN to the IRS and the process to generate the 15400 with our SSN for early 2023 deliveries wasn't provided by Tesla until the beginning of this year.

Last edited:
1709225332136.png

Finally! For reference my 15400 form was generated VIA Tesla's online tool on 1/23.

I filed mine using H&R Block on February 15th the day IRS form 8936 was said to be finalized. I got my direct deposit refund today which included the clean vehicle credit. I kept getting the message from H&R that the form was still in draft, until the 15th of February. When was the last time that you tried to file?