Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tax credits extended for home EV Charger installations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted elsewhere about this. I’d let your software handle it for 2019 and wait for a form update for the other years (and you will have to amend, not a big deal). But don’t get your hopes up though, this credit seems to be AMT limited. I plugged it into TurboTax in 2017 and got $0. If you have high mortgage or state taxes, be prepared.

YMMV of course.

Edit: yes, it covers all cost of installing an EVSE/charger. I installed the dual HPWCs in my sig, over $3K, credit should have been the max of $1K. Reduced to 0 by AMT. :D. Whether anything has changed from the recent tax changes, who knows. Have to have someone who installed in 2019 try it out!

Reactions: Ferengii
Posted elsewhere about this. I’d let your software handle it for 2019 and wait for a form update for the other years (and you will have to amend, not a big deal). But don’t get your hopes up though, this credit seems to be AMT limited. I plugged it into TurboTax in 2017 and got $0. If you have high mortgage or state taxes, be prepared.

YMMV of course.

Edit: yes, it covers all cost of installing an EVSE/charger. I installed the dual HPWCs in my sig, over $3K, credit should have been the max of $1K. Reduced to 0 by AMT. :D. Whether anything has changed from the recent tax changes, who knows. Have to have someone who installed in 2019 try it out!

Given how hard I’ve been hit by the limit on the SALT deductions, I’ll take anything I can get.

That said, last year’s tax changes resulted in many, many, many less people being subject to AMT. Here’s an interesting chart showing how many fewer households are paying AMT.

All this is to say - don’t write off that write off, even if you’ve been stuck with AMT in the past. For many households (mine included) that have been hit with it before; it’s much less of an issue than years past.

5C627DC8-8C67-4D23-B2CB-64585F487C76.jpeg

I’d let your software handle it for 2019 and wait for a form update for the other years (and you will have to amend, not a big deal).

FWIW, when I filed my 2016 taxes, H&R Block did not include the relevant form on their software. (I don't recall what form it was, offhand.) I had to download a PDF, fill it out manually, enter an override into the H&R Block software, print it out, and file by snail-mail. I have no idea if they've since added the relevant form; but it's worth researching and checking this detail. A friend of mine, who also installed an EVSE in 2016, reported that TurboTax did have the necessary form at that time.

Reactions: Ferengii
FWIW, when I filed my 2016 taxes, H&R Block did not include the relevant form on their software. (I don't recall what form it was, offhand.) I had to download a PDF, fill it out manually, enter an override into the H&R Block software, print it out, and file by snail-mail. I have no idea if they've since added the relevant form; but it's worth researching and checking this detail. A friend of mine, who also installed an EVSE in 2016, reported that TurboTax did have the necessary form at that time.
Yep TT seems to be more current with forms. And glad to see AMT is less of a problem. Too bad I can’t go back and amend my 2017 return under current rules. :D