Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan impact on Model S - a theory I hope is not true

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those "Porsche fans" probably have never owned a Porsche. I and many other former and current Porsche owners also own Tesla. From what I can tell from reactions on Porsche forum many people there are disappointed of the Taycan. Don't think every Porsche owner is a jerk with a lot of free money to throw away for anything.

Yeah, I have also owned several Porsche's over the years and am active on Porsche forums and regional groups on a daily basis. There's a 77 page thread about the Taycan impact on Tesla on one of the forums, and I have never heard anyone say or even imply that the Taycan is a "Tesla Killer". Fake news. There are plenty of Porsche owners for which Tesla is not a good fit, so you don't see glowing love for Tesla there, but that's very different. There is speculation about the impact of the Taycan and other EV's on Tesla, which is a very reasonable thing to discuss on any EV forum. BTW, many of those posters in that thread are currently Tesla owners.

As far as thinking we Porsche owners are Rich Jerks, I realize that trope exists but it's funny that I've never had that implied to me when driving one of my 911's over the past 20 years, but I have had that implied when driving my Tesla within the first year I owned it.

Reactions: CarlK
Downgrading range and performance on 85 battery cars.

Tell me your experience. My P85+ with ~70K miles still shows 256 mile range even that I drove it like I stole it and had my share of supercharging.

Yeah, I have also owned several Porsche's over the years and am active on Porsche forums and regional groups on a daily basis. There's a 77 page thread about the Taycan impact on Tesla on one of the forums, and I have never heard anyone say or even imply that the Taycan is a "Tesla Killer". Fake news. There are plenty of Porsche owners for which Tesla is not a good fit, so you don't see glowing love for Tesla there, but that's very different. There is speculation about the impact of the Taycan and other EV's on Tesla, which is a very reasonable thing to discuss on any EV forum. BTW, many of those posters in that thread are currently Tesla owners.

As far as thinking we Porsche owners are Rich Jerks, I realize that trope exists but it's funny that I've never had that implied to me when driving one of my 911's over the past 20 years, but I have had that implied when driving my Tesla within the first year I owned it.

Most Porsche owners do not act like rich jerks. Can't say the same for Ferrari owners though. ;) Actually I think there are a lot in common between Porsche and Tesla owners. They are looking for the nice/best thing in life and are willing to pay a little extra for that. That to me used to be Porsche and is now Tesla.

As for how some people feel about Tesla owners it's a little like how Prius owners were looked at in the early days. Real or not they think we have the holier than thou greeny attitude.

Last edited:
My experience is that "rich jerks" types are more apparent in the Porsche forums. Owners are typically not the hands-on types. Many come to the forums to pose problems, and many of the problems are quite common. Yet, it's often the case that no solution is ever posted, because people just sent the car in. For example: What kind of battery can be put into a Porsche Cayenne without paying $500 rip-off price from the stealer? 15 years later there's still no definitive answer (until I posted), and most of the answers are wrong.
Due to lack of shared knowledge, it's difficult to keep even a 10 year Porsche running without paying (dearly) for a shop to figure things out. In contrast, the same is not true in the Toyota world. The Tesla crowd obviously aren't able to work on the car much either, but most seem to be tech savvy.

Last edited:
Reactions: lardog
Taycan is a sports car and Model S is like Mercedes S. You can not compare. There will always be customer for this and that. I do not see any problems for that. About technology, Porsche is part of VW company, they have access to all the technology from Audi or VW and all that. If they think it is good to put e-tron technology in it they just take it and do it.

Taycan was designed by Porsche to provide better long distance track performance than current models from Tesla.

It is understandable that they would do this, as racing is part of their heritage.

On the other hand, this results in a much more expensive and heavier car. A poor choice for those not engaged in long distance track driving.

For customers it is kind of a poser thing. Like buying a Mercedes AMG G-Wagon, and only driving it to impress people when you are shopping in Beverly Hills.

Not sure anyone mentioned, too much to read. The electrify America chargers are open to everyone not just Volkswagen group of companies. It was part of VW deals with US government. In fact it is it's own corporation with ties to VW group. Part of settlement was VW could not brand it as their own, hence the name Electrify America. Wherever Porsche can charge so will Tesla. We still have supercharger exclusive to Tesla though.

The Taycan is a very premium car, it's a Porsche they have always been expensive. Pricing is much higher than model S. I do like the fact that Elon is picking this fight though at the Nurburgring. Competition is always good for innovation.

Reactions: Vitaman
Not sure anyone mentioned, too much to read. The electrify America chargers are open to everyone not just Volkswagen group of companies. It was part of VW deals with US government. In fact it is it's own corporation with ties to VW group. Part of settlement was VW could not brand it as their own, hence the name Electrify America. Wherever Porsche can charge so will Tesla. We still have supercharger exclusive to Tesla though.

Exactly!

But in the US, Tesla needs to release a CCS adapter.

I'm curious to see what concessions Porsche made to their dealers with recommended services on the Taycan. i read somewhere they recommend replacing the brake pads every six years even if not worn out - apparently they get old and brittle? Wonder if they'll dream up other stuff to require owners to visit the dealerships.