Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes interesting but not in a good way to reflect on Porsche's technology. Why add cost and liability to a car that does not out-accelerate Tesla and has a higher top speed. We don't have the number yet but most likely it will also not reach Tesla's efficiency. It Porsche could make a $140,000+ car and there are people who are willing to buy all power to them. That does not mean it can compete with Tesla though.
Basically track lap time bragging rights. Tesla's horsepower drops off quite a bit at high speeds and a transmission solves that problem. I wonder how much weight it adds. It might not be much.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Yes, obviously this. 2-speed transmission + 800v battery ==
The 800V battery doesn’t do much to improve power. It reduces the need for bigger cables in the car and it’s EVSEs. That’s why Porsche claims higher charge rates than a Tesla. The required input current is half (P=I*V) for the same power delivery. Also, does anybody know if all the variants are using 800V or is it just the top spec model?

I presently own a Macan GTS, which I purchased after selling a 911S. Owned two Caymans prior to the 911. The quality of the cars is undeniable. Whether the Tesla is a better vehicle will be open to debate and will become clearer in two or three years. VW /Porsche has a massive push to electric vehicles underway. It will force Tesla to up its game.

BTW...I love how our M3 drives...but I love being in driver's seat of the Macan GTS more.

I too had a Macan S, and I absolutely LOVED it. I convinced my buddy to buy a Macan Turbo, and you practically have to peel him out of the driver's seat he likes it so much. Porsche is a great car builder, and I personally celebrate and applaud the fact they're getting into the electric game.

Re: overall tone of the thread. We as electric car enthusiasts should all be excited when enthusiast makers come out with electric models, and we all benefit as cars get better and better. The one I am most excited about is the Rivian, and I hope it's better than Tesla at their own game which will in turn make Teslas even better. The future is bright people! :D

Be careful, you might get two fingers back. ;) Below is a picture of the front of a Taycan prototype. The sensor in the middle looks suspiciously like a Valeo Scala lidar ...

untitled-jpg.426541
$25k Porsche option. ;)

Unlike BMW's offerings, the Taycan is going to be like a Tesla in that it's an EV that one doesn't have to apologize for.

I think the Taycan will be impressive...but I would bet the same issues for the Porche will arrise:

- Battery degradation, especially at 250kw and eventually 350...which they first promised
- Etron had a recall already with a battery thermal event
- Catching fire Taycan's possibly.

My point is I don't think Porche will be without faults.

What these other mfg are failing to understand is in order to succeed you need to have a charging network.
Simply making a EV that is fast and reliable is only half the battle. The ONLY way any mfg is going to even come close
to Tesla is the pay Tesla to use and adapt their cars to accept the supercharging network. It honestly doesnt matter what the cost is which Jaguar and Porsche/GM fail to understand. No network= no sales. Jaguar can mark those I paces down to 50 grand and they still wont sell.

This reminds my of my last car. The cadillac ELR. The 75k volt. When I got mine there was a 7500 rebate plus GM had a 30k rebate off the car just to get them off the lots. Only at that point did it even come close to making sense.

I really find it hard to believe that not a single mfg has contacted Elon and Tesla to pay them to join forces as he states.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ73
I understand that. My P3 can’t even “crawl like a baby in one direction” to use your analogy without getting confused. It’s just that Tesla decided to be a whole lot more reckless than Porsche by leaving AP engaged even when it shouldn’t be. And yada yada, I know when it comes down to it, it’s just a driver assist and the driver has to be able to take full control at any time. Some wonderful tech advantage LOL.

My Macan’s LKA is just as useful but less dangerous than my P3’s AP.

Where is this alleged Tesla FSD? In Elon’s fantasy world since 2015? Certainly not in Teslas available to the public.

Doesn’t Porsche use Mobil Eye or similar? I’m sure they have competent engineers and likely a much nicer work environment (a less mercurial/unstable boss) and more money. So I doubt Tesla’s tech has more potential. Does Elon even still have employees in his FSD team? Didn’t the good ones all flee this year?
Porsche has some great mechanical, design, and production engineers no doubt. To think that Porsche can even remotely compete with Tesla on anything software or electric power related, is pure fantasy. Tesla has an entire business unit dedicated to high power electronics, which also produces utility scale products. Their motors, inverters, autopilot hardware, and batteries are designed and built in house. (Tesla has a legit two-way partnership with Panasonic for cells) The Porsche engineer in that video had a hard time saying the Taycan motor was a “joint” collaboration. Why? Probably because the collaboration consisted of Porsche providing requirements and testing while another company designed it. AND Porsche has LG make their power source.

Reactions: Nine2Five
I too had a Macan S, and I absolutely LOVED it. I convinced my buddy to buy a Macan Turbo, and you practically have to peel him out of the driver's seat he likes it so much. Porsche is a great car builder, and I personally celebrate and applaud the fact they're getting into the electric game.

Re: overall tone of the thread. We as electric car enthusiasts should all be excited when enthusiast makers come out with electric models, and we all benefit as cars get better and better. The one I am most excited about is the Rivian, and I hope it's better than Tesla at their own game which will in turn make Teslas even better. The future is bright people! :D
Yes to this!

Porsche has some great mechanical, design, and production engineers no doubt. To think that Porsche can even remotely compete with Tesla on anything software or electric power related, is pure fantasy. Tesla has an entire business unit dedicated to high power electronics, which also produces utility scale products. Their motors, inverters, autopilot hardware, and batteries are designed and built in house.
Right, and the company that built the 919 Hybrid and 918 Spyder knows nothing about electric motors and high power electronics. :p

I like it. BUT.

It starts at 120K (probably UKP rather than $ as that's a UK vlog), so doesn't compete with Model 3 performance.

Ok, why do I want to engage 'Launch Control', and wait to be told it's ready. While it's waiting, I've already mashed the throttle and am gone.

Intrigued about what the gearbox does, and when it changes gears.

Since it's 4WD does that mean it's got 2*2 speed gearboxes (Nightmare)?
Or has it just got 1, at the rear, and the front motor doesn't kick in till it changes up?

What does it drive like when it changes gear. Full throttle, no problem. Partial throttle mid-corner. Probably have it sorted, but I do like not having to think about gears.

• Love
Porsche has some great mechanical, design, and production engineers no doubt. To think that Porsche can even remotely compete with Tesla on anything software or electric power related, is pure fantasy. Tesla has an entire business unit dedicated to high power electronics, which also produces utility scale products. Their motors, inverters, autopilot hardware, and batteries are designed and built in house. (Tesla has a legit two-way partnership with Panasonic for cells) The Porsche engineer in that video had a hard time saying the Taycan motor was a “joint” collaboration. Why? Probably because the collaboration consisted of Porsche providing requirements and testing while another company designed it. AND Porsche has LG make their power source.

LOL, how did Tesla get this reputation that they are somehow leading in SW?!

I fell for this myself (didn’t research it, just got suckered into the reality distortion field).

Teslas autonomy software is a total mess. Performance of automated assistance features is embarrassingly primitive for 2019.

I’ve never felt like my Macan tries to kill me.

AP on my P3 is a dangerous combo of slick presentation and primitive object recognition. Tesla’s software looks like it’s the worst quality part of my P3. How does something like that even pass QC? Phantom braking, dancing cars, misidentification of lanes.

No disagreement about the other points (power electronics, battery tech) but SW, no, Tesla is not better than Porsche. Tesla can’t even get blind spot monitoring to work as reliably as in my Macan. And where is the 360 birds eye view? And Apple Car Play?

Right, and the company that built the 919 Hybrid and 918 Spyder knows nothing about electric motors and high power electronics. :p
I didn’t say they knew nothing, there is just no way the expertise between the two companies is comparable in these areas. Sorry, but it is well known how much outsourcing goes on with legacy automakers.

Last edited:
LOL, how did Tesla get this reputation that they are somehow leading in SW?!

I fell for this myself (didn’t research it, just got suckered into the reality distortion field).

Teslas autonomy software is a total mess. Performance of automated assistance features is embarrassingly primitive for 2019.

I’ve never felt like my Macan tries to kill me.

AP on my P3 is a dangerous combo of slick presentation and primitive object recognition. Tesla’s software looks like it’s the worst quality part of my P3. How does something like that even pass QC? Phantom braking, dancing cars, misidentification of lanes.

No disagreement about the other points (power electronics, battery tech) but SW, no, Tesla is not better than Porsche. Tesla can’t even get blind spot monitoring to work as reliably as in my Macan. And where is the 360 birds eye view? And Apple Car Play?
Are you really debating which company is better at software? Perhaps you should read some automotive articles. You could pick just about any publication as well as Munro’s review of the 3.

Basically track lap time bragging rights. Tesla's horsepower drops off quite a bit at high speeds and a transmission solves that problem. I wonder how much weight it adds. It might not be much.
Model 3 is already faster on track than most of the ICE performance cars in similar price range, like a 718 Cayman S. For taycan I don't think it can be faster than it's rivals like a 911 or a GTR even with the gearbox trick. And that gearbox adds one more failing point, in the days when F1 engines can reach 19000rpm like today's electric motors, their gearbox can only last 2-3 races which is about 2000km.

Model 3 is already faster on track than most of the ICE performance cars in similar price range, like a 718 Cayman S. For taycan I don't think it can be faster than it's rivals like a 911 or a GTR even with the gearbox trick. And that gearbox add one more failing point, in the days when F1 engines can reach 19000rpm like today's electric motors, their gearbox can only last 2-3 races which is about 2000km.
Let’s hope a simple 2 gear lasts longer than whatever F1 uses.

Are you really debating which company is better at software? Perhaps you should read some automotive articles. You could pick just about any publication as well as Munro’s review of the 3.

That was my mistake in July when I bought my Model 3. I trusted these reviews/opinions.

Now that I experience Tesla’s software daily, I can form my OWN opinion and given how awful the autonomous driving part is (both what the car does and what the display shows), I came to the conclusion that right now, Tesla’s SW is awful. And don’t care what a “Munro” says. That person must have another Tesla vehicle or low expectations.

I guess some people are really wowed by fart cushion, fireplace sims and video games bwahaha.

Model 3 is already faster on track than most of the ICE performance cars in similar price range, like a 718 Cayman S. For taycan I don't think it can be faster than it's rivals like a 911 or a GTR even with the gearbox trick. And that gearbox adds one more failing point, in the days when F1 engines can reach 19000rpm like today's electric motors, their gearbox can only last 2-3 races which is about 2000km.
It will be interesting to see where it slots in Porsche's lineup. I assume it will be faster than the Caymans but still slower than the fastest 911s around the track. Looks like Randy Pobst did 1:40.05 in a stock 718 Cayman S at Laguna Seca. Too bad I haven't seen a time from him in a stock Model 3P but I'm pretty sure no one else has run close to that fast in a stock Model 3. Anyway, it better blow the Model 3P away if it's going to cost twice as much!
I imagine that it should be possible to make a very robust and simple 2 speed transmission for an EV, it's probably just a planetary gear.

It will be interesting to see where it slots in Porsche's lineup. I assume it will be faster than the Caymans but still slower than the fastest 911s around the track. Looks like Randy Pobst did 1:40.05 in a stock 718 Cayman S at Laguna Seca. Too bad I haven't seen a time from him in a stock Model 3P but I'm pretty sure no one else has run close to that fast in a stock Model 3. Anyway, it better blow the Model 3P away if it's going to cost twice as much!
I imagine that it should be possible to make a very robust and simple 2 speed transmission for an EV, it's probably just a planetary gear.
My data is from top gear's "the stig" lap time. Stock model 3P did1:21.5, 718 Cayman S did 1:21.6 List of Top Gear test track Power Lap times - Wikipedia

I wonder if Rimac designed the battery pack.