Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan to best Tesla with Apple Music app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Looks like the Taycan is going to get the Apple Music car app first along with 3 years of LTE data (we get 1 YEAR of Elon time data and who knows when that is up:eek::D). This likely means higher quality (think Apple requires at least 128kbps and could be the full 256kbps) audio than we (Tesla) are allowed (probably around 64kbps). No mention of other music services but sure they could be added by apps. [OT]Can't wait to see the Taycan next month and looks like it may be the first NON Tesla REAL EV. Of course it is Porsche priced but looks like it will perform. Hope they have one at the North American HQ next month and may go by to see one for fun.[/OT]

While CarPlay/Android Auto is a likely a NO GO for Tesla it sure would be nice to have the Apple Music app added now that this is allowed by Apple and the opening for future apps. Realize the extra data usage could be a problem but Tesla could charge for it.

Porsche is integrating Apple Music into the all-electric Porsche Taycan – TechCrunch

Last edited:
Reactions: tvad and Scott7
I've spent my whole life avoiding Apple products, so i'm glad Tesla isn't selling their soul to them...

I do agree, a higher quality player would be good. Even an analogue input would allow us to use a high quality hardware player for now, but that's not going to happen.
I want Tesla to open up and offer a CHOICE of music apps at a higher quality.

Also Porsche just posted a teaser interior shot playing the Apple Music app. Doesn't show much (or the center stack screen) but it was just posted since I created this thread.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 6.50.36 AM.png

I see they removed all passenger screens and the center screen is very small. I prefer a bigger screen that Apple music !
Tunein and Spotifiy the sound is encoded 128kbps or 256.
The center stack screen is not shown and is below the pic. Spotifiy like most services offer different data rates that are client determined (Tesla only allows about 64kbps) and can go as low as "equivalent to" 24kbps.

Here is from he Spotify site.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 7.12.13 AM.png

If you are concerned about sound quality then get 320kbps versions of your favourite tunes and put them on a USB. That's what I did. You will then realize that the sound system in your car is truly amazing.

Also, it makes sense that we will be getting Spotify because it is cheaper and easier to maintain one setup in all vehicles worldwide.
That being the case, Apple Play will not be part of the universal package as Apple accounts for about 53% of devices market in North America but only 5% in the rest of the world. That is what the figures show.

That being the case, Apple Play will not be part of the universal package as Apple accounts for about 53% of devices market in North America but only 5% in the rest of the world. That is what the figures show.

Whatever the end result is with Tesla's built-in music player offerings, this won't be their justification. Tesla's customer base is not 100% of the world's population and never will be. A huge percentage of worldwide smartphone owners don't even own a private car.

Look at Porsche--They offer CarPlay and don't offer Android Auto at all, which blows apart this "5%" justification. They already have the data that Porsche owners are mostly on iOS, so it is totally irrelevant what the metric is for entire world's population. (also, of course the cheapest available option is the most commonly used!)

Personally, I go out of my way to avoid Google/Facebook these days. I prefer paying for products vs being the product.

If you are concerned about sound quality then get 320kbps versions of your favourite tunes and put them on a USB.

This gives you the best quality at the cost of an absolutely massive usability downgrade. Most aren't going to accept that tradeoff (and they never do historically speaking, look at blu-ray sales vs streaming video) and I'm sure this is very obvious to Telsa in their analytics.

Streaming 45M tracks with thousands of automatically updating and "curated by experts" playlists and a fully synced library across all devices.
vs
100% manual organization of only tracks you own.

There's no contest there. It's great that there's the USB option for that listen to a tiny amount of infrequently changing music, but it's not realistic for what the market expects today.