Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tech package - 16gb hard drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is the standard drive is a 16 GB SD card, and 32 GB with premium Audio. I suspect they dropped stating the drive size since it's used for other items besides music (when it is enabled to do so), and the size remaining for music may change as memory is used for other features. The size is also not exactly relevant to how much music you can store (due to file types, compression, etc.).

My recommendation is to save it all to a flash drive, and better yet, use a non-lossy format like flac. Keep in mind that if you use bluetooth, the audio stream is forced to be lossy-compressed even if it is stored on your phone as lossless. If it was already compressed, it might be re-compressed further degrading the sound. This is a bluetooth issue and nothing to do with Tesla or it's implementation.

You can get a huge 128 GB flash drive for under $125, and it should store 4000+ songs in flac. Of course you can store many more if you use MP3 or other lossy-compressed formats. Anyway, for stability, flexibility and sound quality, I think a flash drive is far better than any other approach.

Now you may be asking where the SD card is located. It may be buried somewhere, but I suspect it may be fairly easy to access since it might go bad and need to be replaced years in the future. If anyone knows, I'd love to hear where it is.

bummer. I was told that with the tech package I'd still have a map when out of cell phone range.
Simple answer: Without cell phone coverage, and with the tech package, navigation in the instrument cluster, including turn-by-turn voice, will continue to work while the center 17" screen will only display those parts of the Google map that have been cached earlier. Parts that don't happen to be in the cache already will not display (it shows grey tiles instead).

The 3000 song storage capacity that has been marketed by Tesla was calculated assuming a 128Kbps bitrate in MP3 format and an average song length of 4 minutes. That works out to just under 4 MB per song (technically 3.75, I believe), implying perhaps 12GB of hard drive space for songs (3000 x 4MB). If it is a 16GB hard drive, it's probably storing other files as well--probably nav related since the hard drive gets installed with either the sound upgrade or the tech package. I doubt it's a 32GB, or they probably would have advertised storage space for many more songs. That, or perhaps the other files stored are much bigger, but either way don't expect much more than 12GB of storage space for songs. If you encode at higher quality than 128kbps then obviously you'll have room for fewer songs than the advertised 3000.

It was there, but Tesla removed it

I remember seeing it too earlier in February. It is very disconcerting to me to see specs changing on web site after I have signed a contract based upon what the web site showed at the time of signing the contract. For instance, in early February web page said cloth seats come with heating and memory. Now memory has disappeared from the web page.

I remember seeing it too earlier in February. It is very disconcerting to me to see specs changing on web site after I have signed a contract based upon what the web site showed at the time of signing the contract. For instance, in early February web page said cloth seats come with heating and memory. Now memory has disappeared from the web page.
Agreed. I've been upset by it multiple times as well. At the very least they could make old version available in archived form and provide a link on the current page to the old revisions. Kind of like the W3C does with specs...