Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tell me this isn't the final steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So all the hoopla about hiring away Felix Godard from Porsche to help design the Model 3 steering wheel, and we get a chunky, stripped down Mercedes steering wheel with just two thumb wheels and nothing else? Color me underwhelmed.
I don't believe he designed the steering wheel between the launch event and the employee event where that steering wheel was first seen, but then again it was a few months... who knows.

The steering wheel has me a little worried. Last time I was shopping for a new car, I test drove ones I thought I would love, only to encounter these chunky little steering wheels that made the whole drive underwhelming. Left those dealerships and never looked back. A comfortable wheel was probably the most important factor I looked for in a test drive, and ultimately the reason I chose the car I did. With the Model 3, there is no choice: I'm getting it no matter what. Love the wheel in the S, I just don't see why they would stray far from that.

Steering controls will be covfefe. You won't mind.

More seriously, Tesla may have something up its sleeve there. Possibly something really good. Perhaps not for the next reveal (but rather in a couple of months/years or so), but I do remember Elon Musk saying something about space-like controls, which the current steering wheel on the RC's doesn't really resemble.

A joystick perhaps :) ? Or why not two, one on "co-pilot" side as well...

Reactions: ZsoZso
My guess is one button/trackball/whatever will scroll through all the "Tesla" functions that make up the left 1/4 of the screen.

It'll start with showing speed, battery, and a couple more things, and then you scroll down and click to get more car functionality.

And then the other one will control the other stuff like radio, navigation...

It seems hard to do all that, plus volume/next track as well.

Answering and hanging up calls too.

I think the buttons will function differently depending on what happens.

If you have a call, one button will answer, because you don't need that button at the same time to do anything else.

Reactions: ikjadoon
What if the images are tricking our eyes, what if they're not scroll wheels at all but tracking balls? You know, like mouse wheels? What if... they're not only for changing the distance to the car in front of you, but also the distance to the car(s) on your side.

Eh? Eh?