Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Temporarily terrible consumption rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night my avg Wh/mi calculation in both the energy graph and the IC display shot up to just over 500 Wh/mi, and estimated like 100mi range on an 80% charge of my 75D (normally 210-211 mi).

Nothing changed in my driving (I do drive spiritedly, but that's an all the time thing), the only difference is that it's gotten colder here. I expected some degradation when regen was limited, but this seemed excessive. It was a little concerning as it's not even "cold" here yet (mid 30s) compared to real winter temps.

Fast forward to today, it suddenly got "normal" again. It's definitely showing higher consumption than normal w/ the heat on and limited regen, but it's ~360Wh/mi which seems much more in line with what I expected in colder temps... I typically run just over 300-320.

The thing is, it was actually almost 10 degrees colder today than it was last night.

Any idea what can cause the consumption to jump that high temporarily? Is it something I should call service about?

You may be sitting in the car a little longer before starting to move. I've hit some big numbers at the start of a drive, but they average down fairly quickly. It's like starting with some energy already used and zero miles driven, infinite energy/mile.

You may be sitting in the car a little longer before starting to move. I've hit some big numbers at the start of a drive, but they average down fairly quickly. It's like starting with some energy already used and zero miles driven, infinite energy/mile.
This isn’t that though. This is uncharacteristically high consumption compared to similar weather last year.

Last night my avg Wh/mi calculation in both the energy graph and the IC display shot up to just over 500 Wh/mi, and estimated like 100mi range on an 80% charge of my 75D (normally 210-211 mi).

Nothing changed in my driving (I do drive spiritedly, but that's an all the time thing), the only difference is that it's gotten colder here. I expected some degradation when regen was limited, but this seemed excessive. It was a little concerning as it's not even "cold" here yet (mid 30s) compared to real winter temps.

Fast forward to today, it suddenly got "normal" again. It's definitely showing higher consumption than normal w/ the heat on and limited regen, but it's ~360Wh/mi which seems much more in line with what I expected in colder temps... I typically run just over 300-320.

The thing is, it was actually almost 10 degrees colder today than it was last night.

Any idea what can cause the consumption to jump that high temporarily? Is it something I should call service about?

It sounds pretty normal to me. Just like an ICE car with a cold block, you'll get atrocious economy when your battery is cold. On top of that, the cabin heater is one of the few parts of the car I'd consider truly inefficient. So jumping up into the mid 300s isn't a surprise at all. The only times I've seen my average in the 500s was when it's cold, the heat was on and the battery was being actively warmed.

Did you charge overnight? If so, the battery would likely still be warmer in the morning even though the ambient temperature was cooler. Also, the car may have preconditioned itself in the morning even if you weren't plugged in.

Whatever algorithm they use to figure out when to precondition the car was a bit wonky for me so I disabled it last winter. Instead, I just started turning the climate controls on about 10 - 15 minutes before I leave. I end up with half Regen when the temp is above 15 to 20°. It's not much different than using remote start on an ICE car. Just be careful... Remote start will automatically turn off after 10 minutes or so but your Tesla will stay on all day (or down to 20%) if you let it. I only lost about 30 miles of range when I made that mistake, so it's not exactly terrible unless you have a long commute.