Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Buying Experience - Should I be as turned off as I am?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting take. The problem with that approach is that it cuts it really close to getting delivery by end of year. If I get delivery by end of year, I get $12.5k incentives in mid-February when I file my taxes. If it gets delivered on Jan 1, then I have to wait 15 months to get my $12.5k in tax incentives, assuming they don't kill any incentives in 2018.

If you take delivery in Jan you can get the money back quicker by changing your withholdings on your W-4. You won't get it in a lump sum but you'll get it with every weekly/biweekly/whatever paycheck and you can get it back in a few months then file a new W-4 for the rest of the year holding out your remaining expected taxes.

• Helpful
Reactions: csalvato
I don't regret buying a Model X but I went through a ton of frustration as well and almost gave up on it. The day I took delivery, I was never happier...but I haven't really been that happy since. Don't get me wrong, driving the Model X is a unique experience and I don't know if I could ever go back to driving a gas-powered car. I see you already put down your deposit (congratulations!) but didn't catch which battery pack you got. Sorry, I had to skim through this. Anyway, if range matters to you, I strongly suggest the 100D, nothing less. Best of luck to you.

Awesome feedback. Why the 100D? Seems the only difference is range + .2 sec 0-60 time for about $10k

If you take delivery in Jan you can get the money back quicker by changing your withholdings on your W-4. You won't get it in a lump sum but you'll get it with every weekly/biweekly/whatever paycheck and you can get it back in a few months then file a new W-4 for the rest of the year holding out your remaining expected taxes.

Really helpful, thank you!

I'd rather get the lump sum, and just put the whole thing behind me. But good to know I have options. I just had a long conversation with the regional manager for my territory and she assured me she will do whatever is necessary to make sure I get the $12.5k for the 2017 tax year. Crossing my fingers.

Congrats!
What OA did you end up going with, did the one I sent you helped?

Yes! Your OA/manager has been terrific.

Thanks for sharing that story @comanchepilot ...I have a call with regional sales manager to talk about my experience. I'll make sure to bring up stories like these.

For anyone playing along at home, the call with the regional sales manager went well. Still no $1000 incentive, but was very receptive to all my feedback about how they can make the purchasing process better for future buyers.

Reactions: nycmike
Why the 100D? Seems the only difference is range + .2 sec 0-60 time for about $10k

Max speed is higher too (155 vs 130 mph) but probably not relevant to most people. Maybe acceleration above 60 is better too, but haven't seen any data to prove it. One advantage to the 75D is less weight (approx 150 kg less), so it's a little more efficient and a little sharper handling if that matters to you.

Personally I went with the X75D because I was happy with the range (around 180 miles in typical real world, no compromise driving vs maybe 50 or 60 more miles with the X100D). I would only have considered the 100D if I was going to make real world use of the extended range on a very regular basis. If I do have to sit on a Supercharger for a few mins longer during certain trips, I'll just think about all the money I've saved myself!

7F6933F4-99EB-4FC5-8939-BFFFE89B69D6.jpeg I got my new inventory Tesla 100D from WPB Tesla on November 2, 2017. They did a good job, although the delivery from Orlando took a week longer. I did get the referral reduction but will not be able to receive the tax benefit due to my tourist status ( no income in the US, no tax returns ). I visit Florida maybe like 6 times/year. So far enjoyed my Tesla for 2 days and still exploring all the goodies.

Thanks for this community. I am on the verge of giving up on getting my dream car - the Model X - because of all the little things that have gone wrong in my buying experience. Here's the story of how my Model X buying experience has panned out so far:

• My first port of call was to set up a test drive. I set up a test drive in early September.
  • Fault 1: After driving an hour to get to the store, I was running late and called Tesla to ask if it was OK that I was running late. They said "No problem! Just show up and we'll take you out!". I got there 15 minutes late, and was told there was no one to give me a test drive. I needed to reschedule. I was disappointed, but they told me my OA could bring the car to my house. "Cool! They are really trying to take care of me!"
  • Fault 2: The OA came to my house and gave me a 15 minute test drive and couldn't get auto-parking to work. (Later, I had a second test drive, and realize I didn't see even 1/10th of the features of the car on the first one.)
  • After weighing my options (Dream Car vs. Practical Car), I was leaning towards my dream car - the Model X. I called up to talk pricing and realized I didn't see any features of Enhanced Autopilot. I set up another test drive.
  • The second test drive was with a new OA (the first one quit) and it was much more thorough. Enhanced Autopilot sold me even more on the car, and on buying that feature.
  • Annoyance 1: I told the OA to get me pricing on some inventory vehicles. We had to go back and forth dozens of times because I can't peruse the inventory myself and was hoping to find a great deal.
  • Fault 3: Through this process, my OA was giving me only half of the information about included features at each turn, and he felt generally ignorant of the features until I pushed with more directed questions.
  • Fault 4: I asked for more information on the CO tax credit, and when/how I would receive my $5000. I had to call 3 different Tesla shops and the main line to ultimately find out that I could call CO Dept of Revenue. I would have figured they had this information handy for their sales reps if they want to sell cars.
  • Fault 5: I told my rep I was 100% ready to order but he needed to call me on Oct 24th early in the day, before I got on a plane and was disconnected for a week. He called me late in the day on Oct 24, as I was on the Jetway - not in a position to place an order.
  • Fault 6: On the jetway, he told me he was wrong about the taxes, and costs. I originally was told it was a $5000 down payment + 4% taxes. When connecting with my rep on the jetway, I found out the taxes were 8%, not 4% – a difference of $5000 in taxes owed. Needed to re-run my numbers, and thought that might be a deal-breaker for me.
  • Fault 7: Since I was disconnected, I had to re-run my numbers when I got back home on Oct 28th. At that time, I told my OA I was still interested, but needed to clear up some questions before I could put down my deposit. He waited 2 full days to get back to me. I received a call late in the day on Oct 31st (a few hours before the $1000 off deadline). He cleared up my tax question, and turns out it wasn't a deal breaker. I re-ran my numbers, and was ready to buy.
  • Fault 8: Since I went to put in my deposit on Nov 1 (hours after the $1000 off deadline, which I missed because of this horrific back and forth, including a 2-day turnaround time on basic questions), they refused to honor the $1000 off referral reward for me.
  • Annoyance 2: In following up about the reward with Tesla's main office, I had an experience with their inside rep who, like a mother hen, said, "Well, if we give you $1000 off, we need to give everyone $1000 off!" She promised to talk to her superiors and follow up with me the following day about a possible exception to the $1000 referral reward.
  • Fault 9: I never heard back from her.
  • Fault 10: I told my OA to continue to send me quotes, and I would move forward without the reward, but was hopeful they could figure something out. He sent me a quote for an inventory car. I called to place the order, and he had gotten the price wrong by $1000 in the quote. (Now my perception is I'm paying $1000 more b/c I'm missing the referral reward, and this idiot just misquoted me). I told him to forget that car, and I'd wait for another deal.
  • Fault 11: After calling to follow up on the referral reward, we found out the case was never assigned to anyone.
  • Fault 12: Once the case was assigned, I had one of the most uncomfortable and confusing calls with my OA and his manager - who both had no idea what was going on, and just repeatedly told me that I would never get the $1000 referral reward.
  • Fault 13: By now, with 10 faults lined up, we are hoping this is mostly a problem with my OA and the Long Tree branch. We called the store in Cherry Creek to switch reps. The OA there was very understanding and wanted to help us find a car. He said he would call us back later in the day with inventory. We never heard back from him.
  • Fault 14: We called to follow up to see why we hadn't heard back. That rep + the manager left for the day without fulfilling their promise.
To be honest, all of this has me seriously questioning whether I should get a Tesla at all. I hear great stories about their customer service, but this purchasing experience is one of the worst I have ever experienced. Every interaction seems to have some sort of fault.

I'm really concerned that I'll get a Tesla, be spending a huge amount of money on a car, and then will be really dissatisfied with the service, upkeep, etc. The OAs make huge promises about caring for their drivers – but how can they, when this is how the purchasing experience is handled???

Right now, I am moving away from ever owning a Tesla. I'm wondering what other people on this forum think.

My experience with the Tesla staff has been great. They were very accommodating to ensure my delivery prior to the end of 2017. At the time, there was some uncertainty of the Federal tax credit ($7500) being available for 2018, so I wanted my MX delivered in 2017. Since the expected delivery date of my car (in California) was during my vacation in Colorado late in December, we had arranged for me to sign documents in Colorado at Cherry Creek and my car would be picked up in California. It turns out my MX was delivered prior to my Colorado trip, but the effort to accommodate me was terrific. After delivery, I had some issues with the car and my Lead Customer Experience representative really took care of me. First, she told me when I picked up my car, that she has arranged for a complimentary full detail when I first service my car. Second, I ran over a screw and had a flat tire. This was no fault of Tesla, but they replaced the tire gratis. A new replacement tire is about $300. Third, we had some difficulty using Tesla's online payment web page and got charged $29 fee by my bank. After talking with my Customer Experience rep, she gave me a complete set of all-weather mats gratis for the inconvenience. That's almost $400 worth of mats again, gratis. I've taken the car in several times for some minor issues and I always have a loaner car waiting - usually a Tesla MS, but also a BMW. And they always deliver my car after completing their repairs. My customer service experience has really been stellar - the car, well, has had some quality issues, but overall, we've been pretty happy. Good luck.