Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible quality Tesla Model S 90d - Finland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cars will often sit at the port for a week or more either before and/or after shipment. Fisker went out of business after hurricane Sandy destroyed a shipment of their cars destined to Europe that were parked in a lot in New Jersey that flooded. Their insurance company refused to cover the loss.

I don't know how Tesla ships their cars to Europe, but I do know Japanese cars shipped from Japan to Europe are put into containers, shipped to Los Angeles, put on a train to the US East Coast, and then loaded on a ship again. They discovered this was the cheapest way to ship cars to Europe in the 1980s and it saved the US rail industry.

If the cars are sent to Europe in parts, they probably fit a few cars in one container at the factory.

I have thought Tesla could speed up European deliveries by making extra cars ahead, making them incomplete and ship kits of options then the cars can be configured in Tilburg to order. It wouldn't cover European orders completely for example they might run out of blue cars and have to wait for more to arrive, but it would speed up a lot of European deliveries. If they set up a similar factory to Tilburg in Asia and delivered cars to New Zealand and Australia from there, they would never need to switch over the Fremont factory to make right hand drive cars. They could all be assembled in Europe and Asia.

Tesla is always making new demo cars, they could use up excess inventory making demo cars. Hopefully they know ahead of time when they are making equipment changes and they could adjust shipments of parts based on the changes.

With the Model 3, Tesla is learning to do logistics better. Up to know they haven't been great at it. The delays in delivering the prizes from their referral program and the delays in delivering parts to body shops are two examples where their logistics a terrible. They aren't bad at getting built cars in the hands of customers in the US, but I suspect that process only happens because of a lot of extra effort. Smooth logistics is an art form all its own and companies that have poor logistics bleed money.

Reactions: bonaire
I know it is disheartening to have visual or fit and finish imperfection on a car that cost so much to buy. I have had 2 Tesla delivered to me and both had minor issues, but do give the local service centre a chance and they will get everything all fixed up, even issues that I didn't think was an issue.

Sorry to see all of the body/paint issues. However, I pointed out the same issue in IMG_3996 during delivery and they fixed it in <5 minutes with a socket wrench while I was signing paperwork.

All other minor issues that I didn't immediately notice upon delivery were fixed at a service center appointment a couple weeks later, and I was given a loaner for the 2 days it was in the shop. Tesla will fix it.

No. Delivery time after production is dominated by shipping. Especially for the UK. Just from Fremont to the port of shipping (Houston these days) can take up to two weeks.

Yes that's my point. If its still 8-10 weeks for delivery, that would indicate the cars are still being assembled in Fremont and not in Tilburg. As far as I can tell, there has been no change - the cars are built in Fremont, partly disassembled, shipped to Tilburg, reassembled and shipped to UK. Hence the lead time remains unaffected. If they were produced in Tilburg, then I imagine shipping would be a mere couple of weeks. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

Reactions: bonaire
Yes that's my point. If its still 8-10 weeks for delivery, that would indicate the cars are still being assembled in Fremont and not in Tilburg. As far as I can tell, there has been no change - the cars are built in Fremont, partly disassembled, shipped to Tilburg, reassembled and shipped to UK. Hence the lead time remains unaffected. If they were produced in Tilburg, then I imagine shipping would be a mere couple of weeks. Or did I misunderstand what you were saying?

Most if not all the parts originate in Fremont. The only press that can make the body parts is there. Sub-assemblies like the battery packs, drive units, etc. would be put together in the US too. The only parts that may not pass through Fremont may be some parts from sub-contractors.

I suppose you are misunderstanding me. Before, European cars were completely built up in Fremont, tested in Fremont, then disassembled, shipped and rebuilt in Tilburg. After the expansion at Tilburg, European cars are only partially built up in Fremont but left in a number of larger parts and then shipped, assembled in Tilburg and tested in Tilburg. Here is an article about it Tesla: New European factory has an indoor test track and produces 90 cars every day (you can find a number of articles around the same subject since Telsa did a press event when its Tilburg expansion came online)

I suppose you are misunderstanding me. Before, European cars were completely built up in Fremont, tested in Fremont, then disassembled, shipped and rebuilt in Tilburg. After the expansion at Tilburg, European cars are only partially built up in Fremont but left in a number of larger parts and then shipped, assembled in Tilburg and tested in Tilburg. Here is an article about it Tesla: New European factory has an indoor test track and produces 90 cars every day (you can find a number of articles around the same subject since Telsa did a press event when its Tilburg expansion came online)

I see what you're saying; though that doesn't really sound much different than before, just with some local testing in Tilburg now!

That is an unacceptable condition for a vehicle, I would not have paid for that car. As for the employee alleging that Tesla has poor QC and ships defective vehicles, she is only confirming what all of us have known since 2012. I just wish it got more press coverage because Tesla deserves a black eye over their quality issues. Screw autopilot, get the quality right!

My 2012 build quality is superior to Model S manufactured today. Everything lines up, no squeaks or rattles inside the cabin, tight as a rubber band.

Our 2017 MS has no squeaks, rattles, leaks or misalignment issues. Just a counterpoint. Our car only traveled across the bay from factory so thankfully not time spent in transport like overseas deliveries. I have seen a few posts on here about steering wheel alignment being off but being adjusted afterwards. We were expecting to have some fit and finish issues on delivery and didn't. People come to the forum to post about issues they have and I do wonder how widespread they are percentage wide of all deliveries.

Last edited:
That is an unacceptable condition for a vehicle, I would not have paid for that car. As for the employee alleging that Tesla has poor QC and ships defective vehicles, she is only confirming what all of us have known since 2012. I just wish it got more press coverage because Tesla deserves a black eye over their quality issues. Screw autopilot, get the quality right!

My 2012 build quality is superior to Model S manufactured today. Everything lines up, no squeaks or rattles inside the cabin, tight as a rubber band.

My 2016 is just fine too and there are many 2012 and 2013 cars that had a lot of problems. The problem is Tesla's quality control is all over the map. I think a lot of it has to do with the stupid end of quarter rushes. They scramble to get as many cars out the door as possible at the end of the quarter and too many problems slip through. My car was built in the middle of a quarter and it's just fine.

‼️UPDATE:
Today, I am glad to inform that this case got a very happy end by Tesla. They bought my car back by full price and now I ordered a new, more expensive model instead (P100D). I love that car and Tesla's amazing aftermarket service. Happy now. Thanks! #tesla #modelS #finland

Seems that their transportation company (3rd party) caused those failures and tried to hide it.

‼️UPDATE:
Today, I am glad to inform that this case got a very happy end by Tesla. They bought my car back by full price and now I ordered a new, more expensive model instead (P100D). I love that car and Tesla's amazing aftermarket service. Happy now. Thanks! #tesla #modelS #finland

Seems that their transportation company (3rd party) caused those failures and tried to hide it.
Great news!

Regarding the damage, why would transportation company try to hide the damage? They must have insurance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.