Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible quality Tesla Model S 90d - Finland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4105.JPG
Hello,
I want to share my experience of ordering my first Tesla. Early January 9th 2017 I placed an order for Tesla Model S 90d from the Tesla's own webstore.

Estimated delivery should be in the end of May 2017 but I finally got the car last day of June (last day Q2). After 30 days late from estimated (first promised) delivery time.

And this is what I finally got. Please check the photos from my Dropbox folder. There is some nasty noise coming from front of car when accelerating slowly. Also streering wheel is not full centered when driving straight. My DES assured me it is very normal Tesla quality and I should not be worried but others Tesla owners told me there was happen something strange during the last month of delivery, when the car was disappered.

Enjoy looking the photos! :)

Dropbox - Tesla - Aulakoski

Attachments

• IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_4020.JPG
    IMG_4020.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_4021.JPG
    IMG_4021.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_4023.JPG
    IMG_4023.JPG
    350.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_4065.JPG
    IMG_4065.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3996.JPG
    IMG_3996.JPG
    461.4 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_3998.JPG
    IMG_3998.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
I know it sounds crazy to be accepting of imperfections on a six figure car, but I honestly love the experience of driving so much, it makes looking past imperfections easy. That’s physical now, not mechanical, that’s another story.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's hit or miss with Tesla. The quality is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get. For the most part, my 2014 P85D has been pretty decent. Fit and finish has been on par if not better than most cars I've owned.

Care to share the source?

My car is the source for poor quality control as is the OP.

Here's the whiste blower:

Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Alleges Tesla Shipped 'Defective' Cars | Inverse

A new lawsuit concerning sexual harassment at Tesla claims the company ignored a female employee’s concerns that cars were being “sold in a defective state,” due to substandard quality testing. The lawsuit alleges that the company pushed back against her concerns and punished her by denying overtime pay, rest breaks, and meals for being a “whistleblower.”​

It looks some body damage repair from shipping.
The odds of this go up when a boat is involved in the delivery process.
Manufacturers are allowed to do body and minor repair and still present and sell the car "as new".
It's up to you to accept it. And you did.. probably because of the long wait to get it, didn't want to do that again. But it's within your rights to look the car over and refuse delivery.

The moral of this story may be never accept delivery of a car at night. Ever.

Every Tesla is assembled in California and shipped around the globe.

Not really. To avoid a 10% import duty, Tesla ships cars in parts to Europe and assembles the car in Tilburg. It used to be the case that each car was fully assembled and tested in Fremont, then dismantled and shipped. But since the upgrade of the Tilburg facility and adding their own indoor testing track, this isn't the case anymore.

Teslas can have largish panel gaps. Compared to my old 1992 Buick, they were larger, but they are about the same as my SO's 2013 Subaru. The steering wheel should be straight when driving straight and the marks in the paint are not right.

The noise you're hearing could be a defect, or it could be a normal sound the car makes. Because there is no engine noise, other noises the car makes are a lot more noticeable. Just in front of the dashboard is a fair bit of equipment and some of it makes odd sounds. The first time I supercharged and stayed with the car I thought something was seriously wrong because the pumps in the cooling system came on full about 15 minutes after I started supercharging. My air conditioner is kind of loud when it's on high, it quiets down after that.

When driving about 40 mpg (around 75 kph) there is a noticeable motor whine. Driving faster the whine is still there but it gets drowned out by tire and wind noise.

There are also some shutters on the radiators used to cool the batteries. Sometimes those shutters can make a bit of a scraping noise when they move.

There are also noises that shouldn't be there. A lot of the early refresh cars developed headlight whines that were annoying. Tesla service replaced mine when they started whining. That's about the only actual defect other than a minor paint defect under the hood I noticed on delivery (and they fixed while I waited).

It sounds like some of these problems happened in the Netherlands plant. I don't know how much they assemble there, but it would make sense to install the steering wheel at Tilburg. The steering wheels are made in Germany.

The damage could have happened anywhere along the line. The further the car is shipped, the more likely it could get damaged.

Not really. To avoid a 10% import duty, Tesla ships cars in parts to Europe and assembles the car in Tilburg. It used to be the case that each car was fully assembled and tested in Fremont, then dismantled and shipped. But since the upgrade of the Tilburg facility and adding their own indoor testing track, this isn't the case anymore.

Wouldn't this mean that the delivery time for EU orders would be drastically cut? I have still been quoted 8-10 weeks delivery after production - which would suggest the car is still being assembled in CA.

Reactions: bonaire

Very interesting, it appears I was wrong. Thank you for posting the correct information.

Wouldn't this mean that the delivery time for EU orders would be drastically cut? I have still been quoted 8-10 weeks delivery after production - which would suggest the car is still being assembled in CA.

No. Delivery time after production is dominated by shipping. Especially for the UK. Just from Fremont to the port of shipping (Houston these days) can take up to two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.