Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Tesla customer service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my Tesla doesn't care experience ... I reserved my P90D back in Dec, 2015 with almost every options including the $750 "Dark Ashwood Decor" with a guess-timate delivery date of May, 2016. Last week, when the design studio opened, I realized the option no longer costs anything. In fact, I can order the exact same car, with the exact same options and with the same delivery date of May with $750 less!

Stupid me, thinking that maybe Tesla just overlooked and will take care of the early customer like me quickly ... I emailed the buildmyx email ... 3 days, no response. I called the 800 number, and the rep there was rude and useless. After asking him if I could get the $750 adjusted to be fair since I have reserved 5 months ago with all my patience, the option no longer cost anything to any new buyer and they haven't even delivered the car yet. He paused for 10 second and said I have signed the agreement when I ordered, and I have to pay that price no matter what happened. In fact, if the price increases, I wouldn't have to pay the higher price neither. Almost sounds like I got a deal! The remaining of the conversation was looping playback of the same statements. I asked if there is any supervisor that I can talk to. No! No supervisor in the office. Asked if I can call back later to speak with the supervisor .. No and he said it doesn't matter who I speak with, the answer is the same. So, I emailed my DS and see if I can get a credit of $750 to buy HPWC. My response? "I am unsure of our options for this currently" is my exact response, however, he said he will ask the sales admin team for further insight since last week.

I understand option price does change with time. If I got my car last week, I care less how much it costs now. Especially when it is only $750 of a $140,000 car. I just can't see other dealership like Porsche, Mercedes or BMW will treat their customer the same way. Even if Tesla gives me a $750 'oil change service' coupon which will never be needed in the future makes me feel a little better than "too bad, suck it up" attitude!

On a second thought, if I have been ordering from Amazon, Best Buy or even McDonald, I am sure I will have granted the price match in a heartbeat! Great Tesla experience!! Not so proud to be your loyal customer!

Last edited by a moderator:
He does have a point that if price would go up and you still paid less they would not make you pay more because an agreement is an agreement. i'm pretty sure that if they changed this law for one person they would have to change a bunch of stuff for others. I had to pay 500$ for going from a 5 seater to a 6 seater config. Do I think it's fair in my particular situation ? Nop.. Did I agree to it ? yep.. because they have a good reason for doing that.

Reactions: Jaff and AMPd
You're squirming for a better deal than the one to which you agreed, and you're squealing here in order to make a fuss. I consider that low-grade blackmail, and wouldn't accede to your attempts.

If it is true that the other vendors you mention - Amazon, etc. - will perform such a price-dropping, then you can believe 100% that it is stated policy and it is a part of their business plan. That does not by anyone's stretch of the imagination mean that other firms ought follow the same policy.

In my opinion, if I were Tesla, I would have made this exception as an act of "above and beyond" customer gesture but I do not think this constitutes an entitlement. That is the nature of the contracts, you agreed to a price for a product, signed it and it is what it is. You are shielded from fluctuations in pricing for future contracts be it downward or upwards. Tesla is free to adjust its pricing without having to revisit existing signed contracts.

I had a somewhat similar situation wherein I did not order Auto Pilot when I submitted my configured order. When I got the email that my car was going into production, I requested my DS to add Auto Pilot. I was hoping it could still be done for $2500 as it does not really impact production plans (it is a SW upgrade) but I was willing to pay $3K (with change order fee). Ultimately Tesla could not do either as their rationale was that once slated for production the car needs to be delivered as per the original configuration and contract. I was disappointed but I did not think my request was an entitlement owed to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
I am in a similar situation, but involving much more of a discrepancy. I placed my order in October 2012 and was finally invited to configure my Canadian production X in early March. It was quite a shock when I saw the price as Tesla had used the lowest exchange rate for the year. I considered cancelling as the price that I was looking at paying was more than 50% than what I had expected to pay in 2012. No fault of Tesla as the CAD dollar has fallen substantially. However the exchange rate that was used did not reflect the exchange rate at the time nor the exchange rate that signature reservation holders were given, which was by comparison much better.

Having drank the Tesla cool aid for so long, I decided to proceed anyway. I placed my order settling for the 70D (now 75D) and compromised. Within days of my order confirming, Tesla lowered the price by roughly 4.5%. To me, this is a substantial amount of money.

I have tried to raise this with Tesla many times since march. I have sent a number of emails to Tesla HQ, my DS and a number of generic mailboxes that have been posted on TMC. I have never received a response since March. I was able to reach someone by phone who transferred me to "finance", but none of my voice messages were ever returned.

I also sent an email Jon McNeill, Head of Global Sales and Service, but never received a reply.

As it stands now, I could cancel my order, take the $5000 penalty, reorder and still come out ahead. I have proposed that they change my order to a 90D under the new pricing, but no one will respond to my emails or phone calls. The Tesla Model X has not been approved by Transport Canada yet, so it’s not as though my order has even entered production.

I am most disturbed about the lack of customer service and response. This is not how any customer should be treated let alone ones that are purchasing your 6 figure product.

This is so petty, can't believe TESLA even plays these idiotic games with customers. "An agreement is an agreement", sounds like they own you...

Pretty sure at any point before delivery you can just pull out of the deal, you also have a satisfaction guarantee after delivery, you can just return it to them for a full refund and then reserve the same thing for less money... Maybe they will pull the stick out of their * and just deliver the same one back to you on your new reservation?

Very odd tactics and certainly not something you would expect from a company with a somewhat decent customer service reputation... Maybe they are in the mind-set that they now have enough reservations for Model 3 that they don't care about the X and S customers... This happened to the Roadster community, often overlooked/ignored by TESLA b/c they sell plenty of Model S... With the Model 3 margins get slimmer and this "nickel and dime" crap starts to really matter...

Can you change to a lease, then return under the satisfaction guarantee clause?

My understanding is if he returns under the Happiness Guarantee then he will also be out his $5,000 + sales tax minimum capitalized cost reduction plus sales tax on that; plus acquisition, registration, license and tire fees. Based upon my Calif. US Bank lease of a $137,700 gross capitalized cost X P90D, that would be about $7,229.03 in addition to up to 3 monthly lease payments.

Happiness Guarantee | Tesla Motors

The details aren't stated by Tesla on that page, but somebody checked into it and posted them to a different thread. They also learned that unless the unhappy owner upgrades to a more expensive configuration, they can't acquire another Tesla for 6 months after exercising the H.G. What happens is Tesla buys-out the lease from U.S. bank and then sells the vehicle as CPO to someone else.

I'll email Tesla Finance to confirm this info and post an update.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
You're squirming for a better deal than the one to which you agreed, and you're squealing here in order to make a fuss. I consider that low-grade blackmail, and wouldn't accede to your attempts.

Of course, I wouldn't expect a single person to say I have a point when I say something negative about Tesla in this forum. However, just to clarify, I am not squirming for a better deal than the one to which I agreed, I am just asking for a FAIR deal that anyone can click at the website to get TODAY. You believe it is fair to penalize a customer that reserve their product 5 months ago for a higher price while they haven't deliver their product yet? Is that the Tesla experience to be "too bad, an agreement is an agreement"? I don't see the 'agreement is an agreement' when it comes to other situation. Am I supposed to get an earlier delivery than less optioned vehicle as they agreed? I happen to not living in California and my delivery date got pushed back from what was 'agreed' when I ordered. It will not be delivered behind other less optioned car so they can make their quarter result looks better. Where is that a promise is a promise, an agreement is an agreement? Yep, it is not on the paper, so that was not a legal agreement or promise, so I am wrong and Tesla is right again.

As a customer, I just don't feel that's the way to be treated. $750 is one thing, but providing a 'Tesla Experience' is another issue. I am leasing the car, that $750 probably affects me less than $10 each month. It is one thing to hear: "Sir, sorry about the price discrepancy, and we will take care of it. Thank you for your business." versus "You are right, the price is cheaper now but you signed the agreement, nothing can be done. You can't even talk to supervisor because everyone will tell you the same. Take it or leave it with $5000 less." I am just sharing my 'Tesla Experience' and it is not a black mail ... and sorry, it is also not from a Tesla fanboy: 'Tesla is always right'.

Well, they do.

Amazon does go above and beyond. For example, I had an Amazon Fire TV Stick during the 30-day return period when the voice control one was announced. After I ordered the voice control unit and tried to return mine, they told me to just keep it. Of course, it's just a $39.99 item, not a six-figure vehicle!

Reactions: AnOutsider
Gah. The mantra that "Tesla wants you to be happy" seems to come with some caveats these days. As an investor, let alone as an owner, let alone as an "in the first 5 minutes" reservation holder as well, this is a growing concern to me.

One way to define success going forward is that as *delivered units* volume increases, customer complaints within 30 days either side of delivery decrease - doesn't matter if there are 0.1% or 3% - the number simply needs to drop, which translates into measurable, reportable improvement. The debate concerning valid or invalid does not matter.

If this is not a priority, and I believe it has to be at least at the level of senior management, then it needs to be. It's the sort of thing that won't necessarily make the SEC filings, but it matters. Word of mouth (and not polluting same) is key for a company with no advertising budget.

Of course, I wouldn't expect a single person to say I have a point when I say something negative about Tesla in this forum. However, just to clarify, I am not squirming for a better deal than the one to which I agreed, I am just asking for a FAIR deal that anyone can click at the website to get TODAY. You believe it is fair to penalize a customer that reserve their product 5 months ago for a higher price while they haven't deliver their product yet? Is that the Tesla experience to be "too bad, an agreement is an agreement"? I don't see the 'agreement is an agreement' when it comes to other situation. Am I supposed to get an earlier delivery than less optioned vehicle as they agreed? I happen to not living in California and my delivery date got pushed back from what was 'agreed' when I ordered. It will not be delivered behind other less optioned car so they can make their quarter result looks better. Where is that a promise is a promise, an agreement is an agreement? Yep, it is not on the paper, so that was not a legal agreement or promise, so I am wrong and Tesla is right again.

As a customer, I just don't feel that's the way to be treated. $750 is one thing, but providing a 'Tesla Experience' is another issue. I am leasing the car, that $750 probably affects me less than $10 each month. It is one thing to hear: "Sir, sorry about the price discrepancy, and we will take care of it. Thank you for your business." versus "You are right, the price is cheaper now but you signed the agreement, nothing can be done. You can't even talk to supervisor because everyone will tell you the same. Take it or leave it with $5000 less." I am just sharing my 'Tesla Experience' and it is not a black mail ... and sorry, it is also not from a Tesla fanboy: 'Tesla is always right'.

Since I agree they should have given you the "Dark Ash Wood" at $0 cost, I took the liberty of contacting Tesla on your behalf:

"Hi Russ,

I definitely will pass this note along. Typically whatever the customer orders, they are confirmed in with the price. In the past if an option had increased in price, customers were given the price for which they were confirmed with. It worked in their benefit in that manner. This is why I think customer who had the dark ash which is now a $0 cost, their orders stayed the same as how it was confirmed (to stay consistent with how it was done in the past).

Thank you,

<name removed>

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:22 PM
To: @teslamotors.com>
Subject: Re: Happiness Guarantee: TMC Poster Suggested it to "Tesla Doesn't Care" Customer - what are the details?

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I thought and already posted in response.

Otherwise, it would be abused.

I'll update my post.

I think Tesla should consider adjusting prices lower (such as $750 dark ash now $0 cost for new orders) for people who have orders that aren't delivered and paid for yet -- especially considering many of the deliveries are past due. Tesla doesn't compensate customers when they miss delivery targets due to extra QA/QC time, after all.

Please suggest that to higher management. Would help with maintaining customer good will so people don't get a negative impression of Tesla from reading about how some customers were treated.

Best,

Russ"

It's true that if you have the High Amperage Charger Upgrade in your order, you'll still only pay $1,000 for it, instead of the new $1,500 price.

I suggest you tweet to Elon about this issue.

You are 100% in the right in my book, but only because you have not taken delivery of your vehicle yet. If you had received it 6 weeks ago, then no, but you don't have it yet. Most reputable companies honor price adjustments within 30 days. It just makes for a happy customer.

I just about LMAO on this response. Only in 2016 would an employee of a multibillion dollar company suggest a customer use Twitter to raise an issue with their CEO.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't work for Tesla. I just live in Fremont, and can see their sprawling factory from my master bedroom windows in the hills about it. (I also own an X and started buying TSLA in August, 2011.) Sorry for the confusion!

That was my advice, after the end of the quote from the Tesla employee's email to me.

Cheers! (Agree it would be really funny if it were true!!)

Last edited: