Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesco chargers now charging (money as well as your car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a look at the Pod app and noticed the 7kw at 28p, 22kw at 40p and the 50kw at 28p?

Also noticed 2 people are plugged into the 22kw, prob the DPD guys. They gonna have a shock!
I think you’ve mistyped there. The website says 50p for 50kw chargers. But in any case I don’t understand why the price is so different. It’s the same electricity no matter what the output. Why should you pay more to charge quicker and free up the charger for someone else?

I think you’ve mistyped there. The website says 50p for 50kw chargers. But in any case I don’t understand why the price is so different. It’s the same electricity no matter what the output. Why should you pay more to charge quicker and free up the charger for someone else?
No mistype here :)

Still is 28p on the app for the 50kw (Tesco Wigston). May change later.

Screenshot_20221101-062839.png

DC chargers are much more expensive to install and maintainu but 7 and 22 not so much so it's just about charging what the market will bear which is how pricing generally works. Uncapped electricity price plus VAT. I don't think Tesco are exactly raking it in at these prices.
In fact the 7 is almost certainly still a loss leader on the basis most users will actually be doing a big shop while charging.
So the quicker the charge the less you spend in store the more you pay. Makes total sense to me.

DC chargers are much more expensive to install and maintainu but 7 and 22 not so much so it's just about charging what the market will bear which is how pricing generally works. Uncapped electricity price plus VAT. I don't think Tesco are exactly raking it in at these prices.
In fact the 7 is almost certainly still a loss leader on the basis most users will actually be doing a big shop while charging.
I’m not sure if the exact arrangement but VW paid for the chargers as part of dieselgate and likely still have some of the maintenance responsibility so I doubt Tesco will be losing much if anything.

If it means that locals with good home charging facilities don't charge because "why not it's free", that means more availability for road trips and those without home chargers. I love free of course, but I'd rather have more reasonably priced chargers which are actually available.
Not really. At least in my area Tesco's car park is for customers only and capped at 2 hours. It's not a public charging facility for 'road trips' but a service provided to customers while they're doing their weekly shop. Non customers have a max stay of 15 mins as per car park regulations displayed. Not sure how well it was enforced but I would have loved to see some cabbies remaining in their cars hogging chargers for the full 2 hours get slapped with a £100 PCN...

Not really. At least in my area Tesco's car park is for customers only and capped at 2 hours. It's not a public charging facility for 'road trips' but a service provided to customers while they're doing their weekly shop. Non customers have a max stay of 15 mins as per car park regulations displayed. Not sure how well it was enforced but I would have loved to see some cabbies remaining in their cars hogging chargers for the full 2 hours get slapped with a £100 PCN...
I've rarely seen PCNs for people leaving the site. Some McDonalds / Costa cases, never Tesco (Likely very hard work to trace someone leaving a large carpark and working out if they've marked, if so what is the registration).
Tesco have said themselves you're welcome to charge, in or out of the shop, even after the store has closed (Subject to 2/3 hour time limit, depending on the location).

Would be great if charging (at a commercial rate) could be setup to send your cars registration to parkingeye or whoever. I'd also love the superchargers to do the same...

I've used tesco chargers while on a road trip. Depends how far away your accommodation is from the Tesco.

I've a Tesco less than 5min walk away from work and I do admit to using the free charging however I didn't leave it there all day like some of the people from the local business park (looking at you VW/Porsche garage workers with your electric company cars).

Went by this morning and 3 of 4 bays filled with the usual suspects. I bet they will be getting a shock when they spot the charges! Time they used their on site charging facilities instead, especially if they want to leave their cars there all day.

I've rarely seen PCNs for people leaving the site. Some McDonalds / Costa cases, never Tesco (Likely very hard work to trace someone leaving a large carpark and working out if they've marked, if so what is the registration).
Tesco have said themselves you're welcome to charge, in or out of the shop, even after the store has closed (Subject to 2/3 hour time limit, depending on the location).

Would be great if charging (at a commercial rate) could be setup to send your cars registration to parkingeye or whoever. I'd also love the superchargers to do the same...

I've used tesco chargers while on a road trip. Depends how far away your accommodation is from the Tesco.
It's automated through ANPR/CCTV in most of them. The surprise arrives a week later though the post!

Reactions: Durzel