Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla’s naming of vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In keeping with Elon’s intent that the name of his vehicles spell SEXY, why not name a vehicle “I”, place the “I” in front the and you get SI☰XY. The ☰ needs a little modification to match the letters.

I thought this thread was going to be about Elon's tweet where he talks about dropping the current "Model ..." naming convention after the Model Y...
I do prefer cars that have names, generally. But then, I grew up in GM-land... I just like the sound of car names like Riviera, Monte Carlo, El Camino, El Dorado, Camaro, Corvette... I really hated it when Acura dumped the Legend, Vigor, and Integra nameplates in favor of alphabet soup.

Reactions: garsh
I do prefer cars that have names, generally. But then, I grew up in GM-land... I just like the sound of car names like Riviera, Monte Carlo, El Camino, El Dorado, Camaro, Corvette... I really hated it when Acura dumped the Legend, Vigor, and Integra nameplates in favor of alphabet soup.

It'll be really interesting to see if Tesla starts going down that road after the Model Y.

Given Elon's penchant for movie and Sci-Fi references we could end up with models named:
Bellerophon, Enterprise, Prometheus, Yamato, Galactica, Serenity, Nostromo, Discovery One, or many others.

On the more obscure note there could be:
wooden badger, krikkit, Ni, Eagle 5, Druidia, Heart of Gold

Might be copywrite issues with some of those though ...

One approach would be for Elon to continue his pattern of naming vehicles after spacecraft in the Ian Banks Culture novel series :rolleyes:List of spacecraft in the Culture series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The SpaceX autonomous droneships Just Read the Instructions and Of Course I Still Love You names were taken from that series.

Here are my tongue-firmly-in-cheek suggestions:

The Tesla Semi: Cargo Cult

The Tesla minibus: Well I Was In The Neighborhood

The Tesla pickup truck; Size Isn't Everything

The next Roadster: Furious Purpose

Reactions: CTShore
I said this in another thread, but the reason the upscale car companies use cryptic, short alphanumeric combinations is so that you remember the car's BRAND and not the NAME. That's why Acura moved away from names. Tesla most likely wants the same result from their naming convention.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I said this in another thread, but the reason the upscale car companies use cryptic, short alphanumeric combinations is so that you remember the car's BRAND and not the NAME. That's why Acura moved away from names. Tesla most likely wants the same result from their naming convention.
Absolutely true. I still don't like it. Because people you meet always just say, "I drive a Mercedes." Big deal. It could be a 190D or an S550 and they would never know the difference. There's a definitive difference between a Yaris and an Avalon, and the Toyota brand remains strong. Though no one has a clue between a ct200h and an ES350, beyond "It's a Lexus."

Absolutely true. I still don't like it. Because people you meet always just say, "I drive a Mercedes." Big deal. It could be a 190D or an S550 and they would never know the difference. There's a definitive difference between a Yaris and an Avalon, and the Toyota brand remains strong. Though no one has a clue between a ct200h and an ES350, beyond "It's a Lexus."
Very true. So, in the mfg's eyes, it's a win-win.