Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 17 kW with 4 Powerwalls in SW Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize that I could go larger than the XL system (16.32 kW). Apparently, I can... I asked Tesla to max out my roof, and they sent me a 17 kW layout. I have pool solar panels on the west side of the house, so no room there. Only change, is that I plan to go with 4 Powerwalls instead of the 3 listed on the layout.

The specs call for a Gateway 2 and Solar Edge inverters (SE10000H, SE7600). Does that look ok to everyone?

So far, things are progressing very well! I have an absolutely awesome advisor who really made this happen, as I am in an area not currently supported by Tesla.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 07.27.43.png

Well... apparently this isn't happening now.

Long story short (well kind of)... I have been working with Tesla Energy over the last several months, to get solar panels and Powerwalls installed at my house. Unfortunately, I was not in a market not currently serviced by Tesla, but after months of work with Tesla, they were going to open the market in my area. Basically, Tesla serviced areas just miles from my house, it was due to the utility provider (200,000+ customers). Eventually, Tesla approved the market after vetting my utility provider, I approved the layout, uploaded the required pictures and utility bill, signed the Sales and Use Tax Exemption on 7/21/20, approved for Mosaic financing on 7/21/20, and signed the Tesla Solar Loan Agreement on 07/27/20. It was my understanding, and everyone else’s, that everything was approved and moving forward.

Since all was well, signed and moving forward, in preparation for new solar panels and their 25-year life expectancy, I decided to replace my roof, which didn’t need replacing for at least the next decade, probably more, for over $15,000. Definitely something that I did not need to do unless I was getting solar panels.

The $15,000 reroof was expensive for me, but necessary if I were to have 25-year solar panels installed. I want to invest in Tesla and Tesla’s environmental initiative.

Today, I called Tesla for an update and I received some unfortunate news... I was told that my order would not be moving forward because I am in an area not currently serviced by Tesla. Really Tesla, you are going to waste my time for the three months, cause me to spend $15k and then just like that, cancel my order! Absolutely horrible!

Now I know why some of the reviews are so bad! Looks like I just got hit for $15k.

Good news! The project is moving forward again! It appears that one of two things happened, either I was provided bad information from a Telsa employee that was not familiar with the project and did not read far enough into the notes, or that after emailing a few Tesla supervisors and politely reminding them of the signed contract, they were able to get things rolling again.

Whatever the case, with the exception of the previous issue, I am extremely pleased withe the customer support that I have received so far, and happy the project is making progress.

On Wednesday, I used Tesla's online notary and got the Notice of Commencement submitted, and Thursday received the approved loan docs. Hopefully, everything else goes well!

@BrettS considering my system is being installed by the same office (Tampa), do you have any recommendations during install and setup? Were you required to have a disconnect switch between the Solar/PowerWalls and Main Panel? I've attached my utility provider requirements.

So far, I've come up with the following, mostly from reading your posts:
  • Lower the frequency to 62.5 Hz to play nice with my UPS. Exactly what frequency am I requesting be lowered? Is this something that can be done and install or through Tesla support?
  • Request access to the SolarEdge Monitoring Portal. I assume this must be done through Tesla support?
  • Panel/Optimizer Layout.
  • Equipment (12v battery and wiring) to jump start the Gateway if I lose power and my PowerWalls fault and need to be reset during an outage or run out of power overnight.

Attachments

• Disconnect-Switch-T2 7-11.pdf
    192.9 KB · Views: 55
@BrettS considering my system is being installed by the same office (Tampa), do you have any recommendations during install and setup?

My install was actually done by folks based out of Orlando. I believe there is a separate team in Tampa. I provided water and Gatorade for the guys doing my install and they definitely seemed appreciative of that.

Were you required to have a disconnect switch between the Solar/PowerWalls and Main Panel? I've attached my utility provider requirements.

They did install a disconnect between the inverters and the generation panel, however, I have discovered after the fact that apparently my utility does not require a disconnect there if I have battery storage. I’m debating removing the disconnect just to try to have fewer panels and things on the side of my house. But I think that’s going to be a utility specific thing.

Looking at your utility requirements it looks like you have the option to put the disconnect between the generation equipment and your panel or between the meter and your panel. I would definitely try to push to get tesla to install it between the meter and your main panel if possible. That way if the utility does decide to come and throw the disconnect then you will still be able to operate your solar and powerwalls off grid. With the disconnect between the generation equipment and the main panel then throwing the disconnect would prevent you from running off grid.

Lower the frequency to 62.5 Hz to play nice with my UPS. Exactly what frequency am I requesting be lowered? Is this something that can be done and install or through Tesla support?

When you are off grid and the powerwalls are full the system will raise the line frequency to tell the inverters to turn off since there is no longer anywhere for excess solar power to go. By default it will raise it to 65Hz, but this has been shown to cause problems with UPS’s and some other things. Typically this is done by calling Tesla support after the install is done. I asked about it while my installers were here and they called support on my behalf and got it done, but apparently normally it’s not something done by installers. I would say it wouldn’t hurt to ask about it on install day, but if they don’t know what you’re talking about or they don’t want to do anything about it there’s no need to push and you can just call support and get it done when they leave. Just ask to have the max frequency lowered from 65Hz.

Request access to the SolarEdge Monitoring Portal. I assume this must be done through Tesla support?

Yes, I don’t believe the installers have the ability to grant you access, so this would definitely be a support call after the install is done.

Panel/Optimizer Layout.

Definitely a good thing to have if you can get it.

Equipment (12v battery and wiring) to jump start the Gateway if I lose power and my PowerWalls fault and need to be reset during an outage or run out of power overnight.

Honestly this seems kind of excessive. I feel like a problem like that is such an unlikely occurrence that it doesn’t really seem necessary to plan for it like that. I feel like that 12V battery is likely to die before you actually need to use it anyway. If I wound up in a situation where I needed to jumpstart my gateway like that I would probably just try to cobble something together from what I had around the house. But honestly I don’t think I’ll ever have the need to do so.

My install was just finished at the beginning of December. The crew here was likewise very nice, friendly, and professional. They definitely didn't mind having me up on the roof (at a safe distance away from their worksite) watching and explaining things to me.

I love your setup and the passive solar pool heater. I'm considering getting one for my pool also here in the Phoenix area. Unfortunately I'd have to build a ground-mounted standalone pool solar system due to the location of my pool related to my home.

My install was just finished at the beginning of December. The crew here was likewise very nice, friendly, and professional. They definitely didn't mind having me up on the roof (at a safe distance away from their worksite) watching and explaining things to me.

I love your setup and the passive solar pool heater. I'm considering getting one for my pool also here in the Phoenix area. Unfortunately I'd have to build a ground-mounted standalone pool solar system due to the location of my pool related to my home.
I had the solar pool heater a few years ago. It rose the pool temp roughly 8 degrees which was certainly helpful, by you it would probably produce much more. Ultimately though I found out the risks of pumping your pool onto your roof. I'm not sure why but one of the lines on the roof went and the pump proceeded to empty the pool onto my roof which overwhelmed the gutters and filled a window well and ultimately my basement. Yep, done with that...

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Yesterday, I couldn't help myself so I decided to charge the Powerwalls. From 7:30AM to 12:30PM, I charged 4 Powerwalls from 23% to 98%, which by my calculations is 40.5kWh, but that seems like high production from my system. At 12:30PM, so I didn't back feed into the grid, I opened the Gateway breaker for an off-grid test. Since my solar production exceeded my home demand, I began using some high energy appliances... first the dishwasher, then the washer, dryer, lowered the A/C thermostat from 72* to 70*, increased the hot water heater temp from 120* to 125*, but the inverters still cycled for two hours.

According to the Tesla app, yesterday's solar production was 60.4kWh, which seems high and possible that something in the app is configured incorrectly.

Overnight, the Powerwalls dropped to 34%, using everything as normal and with my wife using the oven and electric range to cook dinner.

Glad Tesla was able to do your project. Hard being “t-h-i-s” close to an install area but over the border. Install looks great. Nice house and yard and seeing your monthly electricity bill reduced to nothing or way down from normal is just a good feeling, especially knowing your usage is from the sun. I don’t think you will regret going with 4 PWs especially in hot, humid Florida. We haven’t lived through a summer yet here with Solar/3PWs and our summers can be 90s-100s range, plus we have 2 Teslas. We may add a 4th if we’ll be able to later (Calif codes influx right now). Our solar is already occupying our SE/SW roofs so we’ll likely be staying with our 8.16kW array. Jealous of your 50 panels ;).

How long are you hearing for PTO? Some areas are super fast to get and others not so much. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

@mstgkillr
do you have the wiring diagram of the GW? looks like the right side is a generation panel and left side are two loads panel, perhaps one non backed up?
did they install anything on the outside wall by your meter? from the picture, utility service lines, i'm thinking the meter is on the opposite side of the wall.

I stayed on the ground, but took out the drone to check out the work on the roof.

We love the pool solar heater! It allows us to comfortably use the pool 9-10 months out of the year. Definitely a must have for us... unless solar continues to drop, at which point I have the whole west side of my roof for more panels and a heat pump.

Glad Tesla was able to do your project. Hard being “t-h-i-s” close to an install area but over the border. Install looks great. Nice house and yard and seeing your monthly electricity bill reduced to nothing or way down from normal is just a good feeling, especially knowing your usage is from the sun. I don’t think you will regret going with 4 PWs especially in hot, humid Florida. We haven’t lived through a summer yet here with Solar/3PWs and our summers can be 90s-100s range, plus we have 2 Teslas. We may add a 4th if we’ll be able to later (Calif codes influx right now). Our solar is already occupying our SE/SW roofs so we’ll likely be staying with our 8.16kW array. Jealous of your 50 panels ;).

How long are you hearing for PTO? Some areas are super fast to get and others not so much. Thanks for sharing all the photos.

We are super happy how everything turned out... the install was awesome! They even offered to paint the conduit, but I preferred they focus on the critical components of the install. I have no problem painting it myself.

I oversized this system to produce more power than I use (on average) for any given month, so I could reasonably rely on it for backup purposes. Overall, it should produce way more than necessary to completely offset my electric bill. I'm definitely glad I went with 4 Powerwalls, for sure! Last night, I forgot about the irrigation system and woke up to 30% left in the Powerwalls.

City inspection should hopefully be tomorrow, with the PTO possibly this week or the week after (fingers crossed)!

@mstgkillr
do you have the wiring diagram of the GW? looks like the right side is a generation panel and left side are two loads panel, perhaps one non backed up?
did they install anything on the outside wall by your meter? from the picture, utility service lines, i'm thinking the meter is on the opposite side of the wall.

Yes, the right side is a generation panel, the two load panels (under the plywood) are existing, and the entire house is backed up. Outside, they installed a solar/Powerwall disconnect, which is utility provider requirement.

Everything looks like a clean install. I especially like the PW garage setup, looks awesome. Congrats! Try to stop staring at your Tesla app now:)

Thanks! I can't stop checking production and consumption. In addition to the Telsa's app, I have one for my Apple Watch and my laptop.

(moderator note: edited post as requested. Please create another post on this thread with the pictures you wish to share)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm very happy with the production so far! On Friday, it produced 60.4kWh, even with some clouds and the inverters cycling on and off for a few hours because I was running off-grid and producing more power than could be used. Yesterday, it produced 59.5kWh with more cloud cover but less inverter cycling. Initially, I thought the production numbers were incorrect (too high), but after confirming directly from the inverters (thanks @BrettS), it appears the Tesla app is correct!

Today, I will shut the system down, and go back to the grid. Overall, an excellent 48-hour test!

IMG_7233.PNG
IMG_7232.PNG

....City inspection should hopefully be tomorrow, with the PTO possibly this week or the week after (fingers crossed)!

....the two load panels (under the plywood)....

....Thanks! I can't stop checking production and consumption. In addition to the Telsa's app, I have one for my Apple Watch and my laptop.

That would be super quick turn around for PTO here in Calif. with PG&E. Nice.

why are the load centers encased in plywood? My husband saw your photos and even asked me :p.

Have had our system up and running since end of October and still do multiple daily checks on the app to see what’s being produced and how appliances draw down the kWs. It’s a very nice app, so kudos to Tesla for designing it. We figure app checking right now is like buying your first Tesla and wanting to run errands all the time just for an excuse to drive the car as much as possible for the fun of it! Maybe after the first year the need to check the app will wear off :D. We’re looking for Summer to see how it’s producing then.

If you really want ease of checking at any time, someone on the forum posted about using an iPad in their house set up on a table as a constant display of the Energy app. Don’t recall if this was a solar panel or solar roof owner.

Last edited:
For the plywood on the load centers... during my rebuild, the electrical contractor used a flimsy piece of sheet metal, so I requested something a little more sturdy, and they gave me the plywood. I'm currently looking for something a little more industrial.

For the plywood on the load centers... during my rebuild, the electrical contractor used a flimsy piece of sheet metal, so I requested something a little more sturdy, and they gave me the plywood. I'm currently looking for something a little more industrial.

Does wood on an electrical panel, assume with wiring and breakers in it, as a cover even meet code? The builder of our development had installed a range vent that we found used too small of ductwork so the vent flap/door would not open fully. They griefed us about changing out the ductwork to accommodate so we went to the city and their inspector red flagged our house even after construction and made them come out, take down the cabinets and re-duct the hood/soffit area to the outer wall and reinstall and finish everything. Just an idea, and certainly if deemed a safety issue the city inspector will get involved for you so you aren’t left paying to make it safe.