Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2015 Model S retrofit LED headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless Tesla updates the lights, the old HID headlamps are brighter and allow you to see further. The face lifted LED scores poorly in IIHS headlamp tests. Tesla said they will make improvements, and it looks like Model 3 LED lights perform well in the IIHS teats, not sure if any changes are made to model S X lights though.

Everyone that I knew who have an S had there headlamps replaced due to the eyebrow lights going out. Mine happened around 45k miles 2 years old, June 2017 model S. One followed by another within a week. Tesla replaced the entire light under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
No thread is not wrong. Initial attempts with factory LED lights had a suspicion BMS upgrade was required. Phil (Engineer) had provided background to this. I'm trying to validate if this is a custom LED or modified LED setup.
Ah I see...
I dunno, but I think the old HID lights may have been superior. The slightly higher power consumption should be inconsequential for a car with this much battery.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Yep. I’m keeping my hid. The update would not be for me though but good info some may not know hid is better. However other car is city car and will probably never leave the area. Many people around me fail to turn on headlights. So these would suffice.

I’ve contacted the seller and will get more information and video. I’ll post here when I have details.

The retro-fit front facia and LED headlights are very panel gappy where the two should meet, anybody notice that?

Post #17 shows what a good fit looks like on OE gen 1 face.
I have the same car in grey, all original front, and it looks tight like that too.

The retro-fit front facia and LED headlights are very panel gappy where the two should meet, anybody notice that?

Post #17 shows what a good fit looks like on OE gen 1 face.
I have the same car in grey, all original front, and it looks tight like that too.

thats because its an aftermarket unplugged performance front bumper

if youre comparing oem vs oem, facelift front panel gaps are a lot better from what ive seen in person and up close

The original also looks like there was some gap.

Giving you guys info as I get it.

There is a kick starter for this. Price will reduce to $1300 usd if there are 50-100 orders.

Trying to get additional details of the gap and verification if they are custom making this.
If this is a custom light then I will have lots of questions about the output..

Last edited:
There is a really cool video on their facebook page. It shows car with 1 stock HID and 1 LED. Shows the operation of low beam, high beam, and signals. Looks good. Fitment should be perfect as they told me they use stock lights. Seems like the modified the controls to accept pre-facelift signals.

They also reduce power on the accent light to hopefully help prevent it from changing color.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannietjoh
I messaged those pro tesla guys and asked about the headlights and he said that it was plug and play and they didn’t modify anything... not sure if that’s all true as it’s been confirmed that the pinouts are different at least in the US unless they made a change in the 2015 harness to be the same as the 2016 facelift wiring.

Hmm they mentioned PNP for purchasers. I'll double check with them as it may have gotten lost in translation. If they don't modify the lights I don't see how this would work. And also I don't see a need to buy from them if they don't modify the lights. From my understanding is if you don't build a LIN converter for the lights, car will need mod.

Hmm they mentioned PNP for purchasers. I'll double check with them as it may have gotten lost in translation. If they don't modify the lights I don't see how this would work. And also I don't see a need to buy from them if they don't modify the lights. From my understanding is if you don't build a LIN converter for the lights, car will need mod.

Spoke to them again and they said they weren’t clear and did modify the headlights to make it plug and play. So it is possible just need to be bought by them or figured out lol

• Helpful
Reactions: TonyT