Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla achieves 25,000 annualized run rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks; that's good to know. That leaves room to ramp up weekly production to seven days by adding workers and assigning a variety of off days. Or do union rules prevent that?

No unions.
There isn't one now. But, Elon said (in a Fox Business News interview - at the 04:24 mark - a few months ago) that Tesla's neutral about it; no restrictions in case the workers at the factory would like to unionize but, there's apparently no desire to.

Curt here is an earlier thread on Unions.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11773-Unions

Great to see 500+ production in Elon's tweet.

There was also an encouraging production indicator in a Seeking Alpha piece by Nick Butcher today.

Butcher found and linked to an article in the Westfield Republican. It's about a Tesla supplier for the lining in the "frunk." Not only does it mention that the supplier, Jamestown Plastic, is currently shipping 500 per week, but is also mentions

"Jamestown Plastics' president Jay Baker disclosed Tesla wants 650 of the liners by early autumn"

What’s a ‘frunk’? - News and information on Westfield and Mayville, NY - Westfield Republican | Mayville Sentinel News

There was also an encouraging production indicator in a Seeking Alpha piece by Nick Butcher today.

Butcher found and linked to an article in the Westfield Republican. It's about a Tesla supplier for the lining in the "frunk." Not only does it mention that the supplier, Jamestown Plastic, is currently shipping 500 per week, but is also mentions

"Jamestown Plastics' president Jay Baker disclosed Tesla wants 650 of the liners by early autumn"

What’s a ‘frunk’? - News and information on Westfield and Mayville, NY - Westfield Republican | Mayville Sentinel News

Such a high rate would be useful for rapid European production to get more cars before the year end.

GREAT article, interesting angle examining supply chain (often happens w/ analysts uncovering Apple tidbits for future predictors). But the most encouraging thing from the typically-negative Seeking Alpha folks (usually their articles are a hotbed for shorts to voice their concerns, not here) was to see them publish an article yesterday reinforcing the 25,000+ run rate AND predict TSLA could hit 60 by year's end, wow.

SeekingAlpha is just a platform for independent analysts/bloggers to post investment theses. I don't think the SA staff has a POV about stocks. They probably love TSLA, regardless, because every article about the company attracts a lot of page hits! That's really the only metric SA cares about.

Heh - I read that Jamestown Plastics related article, and had the same sense that Soflason just mentioned; as with Apple, we're busy monitoring Tesla's supply chain for evidence of where they're at and where they're going. Reading the tea leaves as it were, and I like what the tea leaves have to say :)

Thanks; that's good to know. That leaves room to ramp up weekly production to seven days by adding workers and assigning a variety of off days. Or do union rules prevent that?
They're currently using weekends to improve process efficiency like tweaking the robots to minimize steps, diagnose and fix quality issues, etc. So if you go on a tour then you'll see workers around but cars won't be coming down the line.

They're currently using weekends to improve process efficiency like tweaking the robots to minimize steps, diagnose and fix quality issues, etc. So if you go on a tour then you'll see workers around but cars won't be coming down the line.

I was on tour on a Saturday 3 weeks ago - there were cars being produced at every step; from the initial frame to water testing. The volume didn't seem very high though, so maybe this was just to optimize certain steps?

That could also have been just for the tours, so that visitors/owners had something to see.

I highly doubt this. We took a tour on a Sunday and there were a few factory workers here and there, but no actual work being done on any cars. There was no chance the workers who were there on site were there to show us anything. They all but ignored us and our guide made no mention of them.

my guess is some saturdays they run short to test the improvements; use it as an overflow day; we used to do this a lot-- slow down the line and make programmatic adjustments- then test them and repeat

my guess is some saturdays they run short to test the improvements; use it as an overflow day; we used to do this a lot-- slow down the line and make programmatic adjustments- then test them and repeat

One of my favorite things (as a programmer) on the factory tour was the corral of programmers who all work in the middle of the factory floor to make it easier to do just this.

One of my favorite things (as a programmer) on the factory tour was the corral of programmers who all work in the middle of the factory floor to make it easier to do just this.

that is impressive- can't wait to see it someday

I was on tour a week ago, and in the middle of that group of engineers on the factory floor is elon's desk. On his desk is the COTY award. I was told he is there multiple times per week actually working from that desk.

Back to that article on the frunk parts, I contacted the author for his source (before elon confirmed) and he said it was the manager at the frunk part factory. So what I think has been neglected to say is, not only are they producing 25,000 a year right now, they will be producing 33,500 a year in the fall. The only thing I am confused about is why Elon said they weren't going to increase production rate in the Q4 conference call and now they are by 25% and soon to be by 60%. That is a considerable amount, why would he change his mind?

Heh - I read that Jamestown Plastics related article, and had the same sense that Soflason just mentioned; as with Apple, we're busy monitoring Tesla's supply chain for evidence of where they're at and where they're going. Reading the tea leaves as it were, and I like what the tea leaves have to say :)

Agreed, a great way to "triangulate" the true numbers (as they do with Apple) -- looking at supply chain and their strategic partners for clues. Projections can perhaps be gleaned from the ecosystem that surrounds them. Watching Tesla and (the stock) TSLA, these infographics really sparked some interest...

tesla-info.jpg

tesla-chart.jpg