Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla adds Titanium Underbody Shield to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also recall that we had no impalements for ~18 months before the first incident, either. And this was with the original, lower low mode. Personally, I think it was a stroke of bad luck and had nothing to do with ride height. There are hundreds of low-riding vehicles on the road everyday.
We don't really know how many S's have suffered damage. The accidents that resulted in a fire are much more likely to result in a news blurb.

Very nice. Just heard about it and excited to get this done. I'm guessing 2-3 months. Woulda been nice to have had it before a truck in front of me dropped some metal object on the road.

Attachments

• 20140131_183927_resized.jpg
    20140131_183927_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 709
My Tesla model S is going in this Friday and I'm planning to have the deflector shield installed.

Is the consensus that this image is still accurate in pointing out the new titanium plate that is being added? I was considering postponing the mod work until I saw this image which makes it seem pretty minor.

Does that seem like a reasonable assessment? Does anyone have any concerns they feel would warrant not doing the mod so early?

attachment.php?attachmentid=46015&d=1396058393.jpg

Jordan

I am not English native. What is phasers?

Taffy, that is a reference to the TV show Star Trek. Original show was in 1965 and there were a number of sequel shows. A phaser is a hand held particle energy weapon.

You are in Italy, correct? I spent some time in Italy in the 80's and remember seeing an old Star Trek show dubbed in Italian on TV. I knew all the dialogue although I did not speak Italian ;-)

And now back to our topic...

@jredner, I have no hesitation about getting the shielding added but I am not in any hurry to get it done. My mom's new Tesla has it and it seems very nicely implemented.

Here is what the aluminum extrusions and the titanium plate look like. They are installed in the front of the battery to protect the 90° angle in front of the battery and deflect or crush anything that impacts it. These do not stick out from the bottom of the car when they are installed.
View attachment 46339

Here is what the aluminum extrusions and the titanium plate look like. They are installed in the front of the battery to protect the 90° angle in front of the battery and deflect or crush anything that impacts it. These do not stick out from the bottom of the car when they are installed.
View attachment 46339

To 'narrate' the photo, the left most aluminum bar is the extruded component that sits towards the front, made to take the impact. You can't tell from the photo but it is mostly hollow (not solid), maybe has 1/4" wall thickness and has internal longitudinal bracing to add strength. Not really heavy, but sure looks beefy. The middle item is a mostly flat aluminum plate that sits 'aft' just in front of the battery to fill a gap and attach to the framing. The black plate to the right is the titanium plate that is interposed between the 2 aluminum components.

The titanium plate is much smaller than I expected. This definitely will not be much of a cost for Tesla, regardless of what John Petersen thinks.

Ha! I am surprised he jumped the gun like that. He's usually more circumspect before presenting his specious arguments. Any bets on the warranty charge? Since the techs are probably mostly salaried, does Tesla have to account for their labor separately? We are probably looking at $250 in parts cost to Tesla?

@zdre, the titanium shield piece is that small dark piece on the right side of your photo? It seems too small to be effective.

The black piece is supposedly titanium, but when I lifted it seemed a bit heavy for titanium. I was also surprised that it was painted black. The service technicians were also confused by the weight.

Wow -- it all looks so much less substantial than I thought it would. It's hard to tell scale, but based on the bolts next to it, this seems surprisingly small.

I have enough faith in the testing that they're not just installing placebos, but it'll be interesting to see what effect this has in the real world as more and more Model S's are delivered around the world.