Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla algorithm for cooling/warming the battery while done with driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wander if anyone has an idea how Tesla decides to cool down the battery after driving? Been searching a lot all over the web and here, no information about it.
Let me point to things that matter (hope not only to me):
- after driving and locking the car (no charging underway), my Model YLR 2023 decides to start cooling the battery (i assume since it's hot) at locations where I am often (home, work, week-end location, etc.). The HVAC works at least 45 minutes. What would be the cut off temperature of the cells?
- after unlocking the car at home, and immediately picking some things and locking, if it's on workday the conditioning takes place anyway.
So, is there some AI implemented with pattern recognizing (which would be excellent), or I am dreaming just too far?
- all of this does NOT happen if my SOC is lower than (probably) 20%

Anyone with interest in this subject is welcome!

At least for your first point, the car might not be cooling the battery. After you drive and use the AC, the car will run the fan for a while to dry the AC radiator, to reduce the mildew and bad odors.
As soon as you wake the car up, the coolant pumps will run, and they continue until the car falls back asleep. That doesn't mean the car is "cooling the battery"... Even the computers need cooling so pumps always run. It's possible that the heatpump isn't working though...

When you say conditioning, do you simply hear pumps or do you hear the heatpump and large radiator fans running? They are quite noisy whereas the pumps are just a hum.

Ive started to look into this recently as I live in Vegas and its a hot summer. I am noticing there is no active cooling at all where the heat pump takes heat directly out of the battery coolant loop. The only “cooling” is that the pumps are circulating and the front radiator fan runs some.

I have only found Track Mode to drive active cooling where the battery coolant loop is run through the chiller and passes energy to the refrigerant.

I recently purchases OBD dongle and SMT app to try to look into this further. Plugged in. Not plugged in. Different SoCs. Different ambient temperatures.

Reactions: GtiMart
At least for your first point, the car might not be cooling the battery. After you drive and use the AC, the car will run the fan for a while to dry the AC radiator, to reduce the mildew and bad odors.
As soon as you wake the car up, the coolant pumps will run, and they continue until the car falls back asleep. That doesn't mean the car is "cooling the battery"... Even the computers need cooling so pumps always run. It's possible that the heatpump isn't working though...

When you say conditioning, do you simply hear pumps or do you hear the heatpump and large radiator fans running? They are quite noisy whereas the pumps are just a hum.
To be precise - after cca. 20 minutes when the car is idling and locked the "pump" starts to run, it is not loud but it stays so for 45 minutes or so.
It does not make sense to me to clean the "radiator and evtl. pipes" for such a long time. Must be something with battery, my guess.

After some observations, i'm sure my car is doing "something" about 15 minutes after driving to a known location (have not observed others) with the conditioning of the battery. it takes about half an hour and then it stops.
Am I the only person noticing this?

After some observations, i'm sure my car is doing "something" about 15 minutes after driving to a known location (have not observed others) with the conditioning of the battery. it takes about half an hour and then it stops.
Am I the only person noticing this?
I have noticed every single noise, fan, pump, click, buzz of every car I've owned, for 53+ years. I've long since learned to "notice", then immediately ignore any sound that happens on a regular basis.

My first hybrid was a Camry Hybrid, I believe in 2007. OH MY GOD! The buzzing, clicking, pumps, hums, etc. etc. Drove me nuts...until I went ZEN and became one with the vehicle (not an easy feat, since the suspension was god-awful!)...for about 18 months. I then entered the HPFP failure prone world of the VAG "clean diesel", which had its own noises.

I have given up trying to interpret ANY sounds emitted from our 3 Toyota hybrids and our Tesla MYLR.

If you're interested in specific details about system "algorithms", it's doubtful you'll read anything here. The info would probably require advanced degrees in several fields. ;)