Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Blueborne - any exposure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget that Tesla has to have a service agreement with someone (AT&T here) for their 3G/LTE connectivity, and that someone probaby doesn't allow tethering for the rate that Tesla pays.

They aren't going to give you tethering for free, they are going to give you an option for say $400 a year to allow for a hot spot from the car. and they will give a portion of that $$ to AT&T for tethering.

They aren't going to give you tethering for free, they are going to give you an option for say $400 a year to allow for a hot spot from the car. and they will give a portion of that $$ to AT&T for tethering.

Interesting since AT&T charges customers $20 a month for a WiFi HotSpot in most vehicles with unlimited data. I doubt there will be many takes for $400 a year.

I just installed the Blueborne vulnerability tester (Armis) from the Google Play store. It told me that my phone (Nexus 5) was vulnerable.
It also scans for nearby bluetooth devices. It found the Tesla bluetooth adapter and said it was "Low Risk".

Can confirm. I ran it and got this from the app:
Screenshot_20170916-094412.png

Looks like systems compiled with CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR=y will just crash (and not become infected). Don't know if the Tesla system was compiled with that switch.
Turning off Bluetooth will block the intrusion.

I have requested that Tesla provide the configuration files for their copies of Linux -- if they had provided them, we'd *know* whether they'd compiled it with that switch. Tesla is legally required to provide them, but has not done so. I suggest you make another request to the pirates at Tesla.