Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and MyQ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is the signal that Tesla sends after all, which is just dumb trigger signal just like from the garage clicker. I am not 100% sure if MyQ sends dedicated signal for open and close, but my MyQ App doesn't have that kind of dedicated button. It is just one button on the screen that opens and closes the garage door.
No. It’s not just a dumb radio signal like Homelink. The way MyQ should work is thru the MyQ API. The API has a command for “open door” and a separate command for “close door”. Even if the car resends the open door command to a door that is already open, the door should not close because the MyQ device in your garage knows the state of the door before it sends the dumb radio signal.

The reason the MyQ app has a single button is because it knows whether the door is open or closed and allows you to do the opposite thru a single button but you see that the app knows the state of the door and how long it's been in that state.

I have Apple shortcuts set up that work this same way thru MyQ. If I click the open door MyQ shortcut multiple times, it only opens the door once and the subsequent commands are ignored.

All that being said, I have not tried MyQ to verify but I would be very surprised if it worked differently than I suspect.

EDIT.... curiosity got the best of me. There's a 30-day MyQ trial so I enabled it.

As you can see here, the status on the upper left knows the door is already open and only allows me to send a Close Garage command.
1671489814411.png

The subtle difference being that there is a Open Garage and Close Garage command with MyQ. Where Homelink was a true dumb command that would activate within range regardless of the state of the door. Hence the reason the Homelink button on the Tesla UI says "Activate" and does not say "Open" or "Close".

Last edited:
Finally got the update today! The garage door motor does not beep when the car closes it after you leave the garage, but it does if you manually close it from the car. After it opens the door upon your arrival it will not close it if you leave again, unless you put the car in park; that seems kindda stupid.

I got the update as well. I'm kind of disappointed. I expected it would make a button pop up on the screen when I approached my garage (like home link does). Instead, unless you select the option to auto open or close, it does NOTHING. You have to manually go into settings, locks, myQ, and then hit the button to open or close. Also, when you hit close, it goes through the long process with the beeping etc. Not great. I don't want it to open or close as I have 2 vehicles and the rear hatch can open when the door is closed but not when it's open. I would hate for our other car to drive home, have the door open automatically and crash into the opened hatch.

Unless they change the functionality to present the open and close button like home link does, I won't be continuing this subscription after the 30 day trial.

• Informative
Reactions: tdeno
When set to auto close, MyQ should just close the door with no beeps because in theory, your car should be in the garage and you know it’s safe to close the door. After all that’s the whole point of the beeps and lights, safety.

If you close the door away from home (or the car thinks you’re not in your garage) using MyQ, it will do the beep song and dance.

The Tesla integration is weird about some of this even with Homelink. If I back into my driveway, Homelink will not open my garage automatically . It will also not close automatically if I backed into the garage and drive off the next morning. It’s like the process to open is triggered by the car approaching the garage while in Drive and the next day, triggered again by the car being in the garage and put in reverse to leave the garage.

I got the update as well. I'm kind of disappointed. I expected it would make a button pop up on the screen when I approached my garage (like home link does). Instead, unless you select the option to auto open or close, it does NOTHING. You have to manually go into settings, locks, myQ, and then hit the button to open or close. Also, when you hit close, it goes through the long process with the beeping etc. Not great. I don't want it to open or close as I have 2 vehicles and the rear hatch can open when the door is closed but not when it's open. I would hate for our other car to drive home, have the door open automatically and crash into the opened hatch.

Unless they change the functionality to present the open and close button like home link does, I won't be continuing this subscription after the 30 day trial.
Actually, it does work exactly the same. Did you mark a location for the door (you can do this without the auto open function)? Park in front of it, pull up the settings for the door and mark the location. Now you will get a button, just like the homelink when you pull up to it.

My openers are not beeping / flashing when I operate them through the car, which surprised me. They close immediately. I'm not sure why yours are.

So I have been searching around how to get around paying the subscription fee and came across a threat here had instructions to use SimpleCommands and create a shortcut on an iPhone. SimpleCommands is now LiveKey in the appstore. Took about 3 mins to create an account and link MyQ to the Livekey App and create the short cuts. Tested it while at home and using Siri opens and closed the Garage just fine

I almost always never get in the car without my Phone and Apple watch on me. So all i have to do it ask Siri to do the work and i saved the subscription fee. LiveKey seems to have geofencing functionality. i have to set that up and test it

Actually, it does work exactly the same. Did you mark a location for the door (you can do this without the auto open function)? Park in front of it, pull up the settings for the door and mark the location. Now you will get a button, just like the homelink when you pull up to it.

My openers are not beeping / flashing when I operate them through the car, which surprised me. They close immediately. I'm not sure why yours are.
Depends on if your motor has myq/wifi vs the myq being on the botton (like 888lm or 889lm)

Reactions: Sideman7
So I have been searching around how to get around paying the subscription fee and came across a threat here had instructions to use SimpleCommands and create a shortcut on an iPhone. SimpleCommands is now LiveKey in the appstore. Took about 3 mins to create an account and link MyQ to the Livekey App and create the short cuts. Tested it while at home and using Siri opens and closed the Garage just fine

I almost always never get in the car without my Phone and Apple watch on me. So all i have to do it ask Siri to do the work and i saved the subscription fee. LiveKey seems to have geofencing functionality. i have to set that up and test it
This is what i need as well, paying for something that should already be included is ridiculous. Having an app with Geofencing would do exactly what some of us are looking for.
Let us know once you activate Geofencing to see how it works. Thank you.

This is what i need as well, paying for something that should already be included is ridiculous. Having an app with Geofencing would do exactly what some of us are looking for.
Let us know once you activate Geofencing to see how it works. Thank you.
I set it up but the defualt distance is 1000m and havent found a way to edit that distance. think that is too far. have to test it out later today if it really works

I set it up but the defualt distance is 1000m and havent found a way to edit that distance. think that is too far. have to test it out later today if it really works
well I got Geo Fencing to work in the LiveKey app. But the problem is the 1000M radius it has defaulted to. I got the notification that my garage was opened a full 10 mins before I got home (Between traffic lights and shopping traffic these days it does take me that long to drive the last mile). so as a good Citizen I summitted a request to make this field editable. lets see if they get around to do it.

but The shortcuts work like a charm with my apple watch. (Note: after a bit of digging in reddit and Macforums I learnt, you have to uninstall the live key app on the watch, else everytime you engage the shortcut it will ask for permission to Allow the door to open)

That
well I got Geo Fencing to work in the LiveKey app. But the problem is the 1000M radius it has defaulted to. I got the notification that my garage was opened a full 10 mins before I got home (Between traffic lights and shopping traffic these days it does take me that long to drive the last mile). so as a good Citizen I summitted a request to make this field editable. lets see if they get around to do it.

but The shortcuts work like a charm with my apple watch. (Note: after a bit of digging in reddit and Macforums I learnt, you have to uninstall the live key app on the watch, else everytime you engage the shortcut it will ask for permission to Allow the door to open)
Awesome. Yeah, that distance is a big problem, I don’t want my garage open a mile from home.

myQ integration has a huge shortcoming for me. It doesn't work with my Liftmaster gate operator, which has built-in myQ. For verification, I've called Chamberlain and a nice lady informed me Tesla doesn't allow gate operator only garage door openers at the moment.
I ran into the same problem, the myQ app on my iPhone shows all 8 garage doors and 2 gate openers, but the Tesla in car option does not show the gates. What is up with that?

I tried this but I could not get voice enable
Can you tell me how to get voice enable

Account setuo myQ added shortcut added
Voice is disable always

I tried this but I could not get voice enable
Can you tell me how to get voice enable

Account setuo myQ added shortcut added
Voice is disable always
So there are 2 ways to do this.

1, Voice control within the LiveKey App(This will require your Phone to be unlocked when you use it)
2. Create a shortcut in the iOS shortcuts app (Instruction in livekey->Livekey Item->Voice Actions->Apple Shortcut Control. this is fairly simple)

2 Does not require your Phone to be unlocked. as long as your phone can hear "Hey Siri" it works.

Check if you have Siri enabled and you have allowed it to access the microphone. Try a Random "Hey Siri, what's the Temperature" If that does not work, then you have to enable Siri or check the microphone access.

If it does, then just say "Hey Siri, <Name of Shortcut>"
(The name of the shortcut is exactly the what you have named it in the shortcuts App)

I'll have to play around with it more then. It doesn't present the button at all, even though it says it's going to use the cars location for the door. I discovered I can hit the car settings and then hit the garage door icon at the top right of the screen, and then hit the myQ garage door. It still does all the beeping when closing but maybe that's because it doesn't know I'm right by the door.

So there are 2 ways to do this.

1, Voice control within the LiveKey App(This will require your Phone to be unlocked when you use it)
2. Create a shortcut in the iOS shortcuts app (Instruction in livekey->Livekey Item->Voice Actions->Apple Shortcut Control. this is fairly simple)

2 Does not require your Phone to be unlocked. as long as your phone can hear "Hey Siri" it works.

Check if you have Siri enabled and you have allowed it to access the microphone. Try a Random "Hey Siri, what's the Temperature" If that does not work, then you have to enable Siri or check the microphone access.

If it does, then just say "Hey Siri, <Name of Shortcut>"
(The name of the shortcut is exactly the what you have named it in the shortcuts App)
i tried this...
it keeps saying - "sorry i couldn't find that in your home" then proceed to open home app... any suggesions to fix it?

i tried this...
it keeps saying - "sorry i couldn't find that in your home" then proceed to open home app... any suggesions to fix it?
If you can just click on the Shortcut and it works then it Seems to me Siri is not able to hear you as the same thing the shortcut is named. This happened to me when the Shortcut was named "Open Garage" and i asked Siri to "Open the Garage". Make is very simple