Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Zappi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this. Bought my Tesla 2 weeks ago and the zappi was installed on Friday. This is helpful in figuring out how to get them to work together and take advantage of the solar. So far my solar reads it is sending electricity back to the grid but I’m not getting the same from the zappi. I’m sure it will all work out in the end. Also looking to get batteries from myenergi to complete the system.

Thanks for this. Bought my Tesla 2 weeks ago and the zappi was installed on Friday. This is helpful in figuring out how to get them to work together and take advantage of the solar. So far my solar reads it is sending electricity back to the grid but I’m not getting the same from the zappi. I’m sure it will all work out in the end. Also looking to get batteries from myenergi to complete the system.
Did you stall the CT clamps correctly on your solar system?

Good video. I tend to use ECO mode when there is sunshine between broken cloud as it keeps the charge going during the minute or two that the clouds obscure the sun. I find with ECO+ that the charge will not automatically restart every time the sun comes out again.

Good video. I tend to use ECO mode when there is sunshine between broken cloud as it keeps the charge going during the minute or two that the clouds obscure the sun. I find with ECO+ that the charge will not automatically restart every time the sun comes out again.
I was wondering if that would be a problem. When my car stops charging for whatever reason it seems I need to unplug and restart the entire process. Has anyone else been successful with ECO+ and start/stop charging?

I was wondering if that would be a problem. When my car stops charging for whatever reason it seems I need to unplug and restart the entire process. Has anyone else been successful with ECO+ and start/stop charging?
My model 3 happily start/stops all day with my Zappi in ECO+ mode. I just get a notification every time it stops which can get a bit annoying!

Yeah, just starts and stop merrily as it goes. On the zappi you can set timers for how long it needs to be exporting before it starts charging, and how long after it clouds over it keeps going.

So things you might want to check are in the Tesla, do you have any sort of schedule set on the car, ie. start charging at 23:30 or end charging by 05:30, either of those will stop the Zappi starting the charging. Also if you have Intelligent Octopus, it'll stop the car charging randomly too.

I’ve had V1 Zappi’s for almost 6 years and never a problem with any our EV’s.
That’s probably down to having a sizeable PV array that doesn’t drop below the 1.4 threshold too often.
If there is a likelihood of it dropping below 1.4 I use eco mode and that should just work though I have reports of charges stopping. It shouldn’t happen.

I used fast mode the first (not knowing any better) and ECO mode the second. With Irish weather we sometimes struggle to get above the 1.4 so I panicked when I saw electricity flowing to the grid and switched from eco+. I think having the clamp will help going forward and will let you know how it goes.
Has anyone tried charging from batteries? Was thinking I could fill batteries during the day and use them to charge the car at night (assuming sun!). We are also dialling in on the best smart plan where timing might be the best option

I used fast mode the first (not knowing any better) and ECO mode the second. With Irish weather we sometimes struggle to get above the 1.4 so I panicked when I saw electricity flowing to the grid and switched from eco+. I think having the clamp will help going forward and will let you know how it goes.
Has anyone tried charging from batteries? Was thinking I could fill batteries during the day and use them to charge the car at night (assuming sun!). We are also dialling in on the best smart plan where timing might be the best option

Yes, I sometimes do this on purpose, but try and avoid it normally.

I can charge the car during cheap Offpeak... so using the battery and it's conversion losses, and charge cycles isn't something I'd like to do normally.

However I do sometimes lean on it a bit when the battery is getting close to 100% and I want it to absorb some of the sun later in the afternoon when not enough to charge the car. So I sometimes set it charging and use the tesla amp control to draw ~1kW from the battery. Not often that happens, but sometimes.