Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Is Draining My Iphone!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since you are touching the door handles, I’d hope so? :D

So, here: iPhone XS and XS Max. App always running, refresh on, location always. No widget.

Minimal battery (3-5%). Always works. Only time it doesn’t if the app is set to Energy or another car.

If you have the widget and see large drain, try removing that. Easy enough to reinstall the widget.

If my phone is in my back pocket it works 50-50 when touching the handle. If in front pocket it works perfect. So no, touching handle is not necessarily close enough.

Good call on not running the Widget. I don’t run that.

I missed that, good catch.

You also have to be extremely close in proximity for it to unlock when you do touch the door handles.

For others who are wondering what we're talking about... I believe in early 2018 there was an issue with the Model 3 unlocking and unfolding the mirrors every time it got ahold of the phones signal. Tesla changed that so that the car doesn't actually unlock and unfold until you open a door.

For others who are wondering what we're talking about... I believe in early 2018 there was an issue with the Model 3 unlocking and unfolding the mirrors every time it got ahold of the phones signal. Tesla changed that so that the car doesn't actually unlock and unfold until you open a door.

It may have had that issue as well but it will not unlock upon “signal” with door handle touch. The Phone must be in close proximity as well. It would be a huge security issue if I was 20ft away and some else could unlock my car. Car has “signal” throughout my house.

Lots of times I might be say sitting at a restaurant window with the car just parked outside that window.

Battery stats show Tesla app is the reason. Last night battery was at 100%, put phone on nightstand. Woke up at 6am it was at 50%. All of it due to Tesla app which was not even in the background. No idea.

If this is not your experience, do not assume those of us with this experience are not having this experience.

Battery stats show Tesla app is the reason. Last night battery was at 100%, put phone on nightstand. Woke up at 6am it was at 50%. All of it due to Tesla app which was not even in the background. No idea.

If this is not your experience, do not assume those of us with this experience are not having this experience.

What does your battery health say?
If your battery is weak 50% of a bad battery is very little.

Which phone do you have?

Like to see a screen shot of that test.

Yep this is exactly what I see. And battery health is 100%.

Let me ask the folks who see the big drain if their car is in BT range of the phone when this happens. When I am at work (car is parking garage very far from my building), I do not see this drain. When car is in the garage of my house - I do see this drain.

I downloaded a BT LE scanner app for my phone and my phone can detect the BTLE beacons from the car all the time I am home. They show up n the scanner ap like this:
IMG_0832.jpg

They show up in my phone's Bluetooth section as connected if I am in the car or very near the car. In my house they show up in the scanner app with very low signal (-97 RSSI). I wonder if the phone is seeing them and trying to connect, but can't because is too weak.

Earlier, I posted my Tesla app battery usage also showing high battery usage and high activity percentage. After reading additional posts, I realized that I hadn’t used my phone much at all that day, so the Tesla app was a high percentage simply because of little phone usage.

Checking today after a lot of phone usage, the Tesla app is only 1% for both measures.

This doesn’t address the issue of the OP because I'm not having battery drain issues, but it does clarify the exaggerated Tesla app battery usage stats on a somewhat idle phone.

Reactions: TT97