Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App outage -- universal or local?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Yesterday (Wednesday May 24), my phone app would not connect to the car. So I rebooted the car and rebooted my phone. After the phone rebooted, the Tesla app asked me to log in, which I thought was odd, because normally rebooting the car or the phone would not cause a new log-in. The log-in failed. So I thought I must have been using an old password or something. Reluctantly, I put in a password change request. After I changed the P/W, I still could not log in, so naturally I kept trying. I worried that I had failed to note the P/W correctly. Along the way, I also uninstalled and re-installed the phone app.
This morning, still could not log in. So, early this afternoon, I stopped by local friendly neighborhood Tesla service center, where I was told that there is some sort of system problem. Tried again just now, still no dice.
But I now can't tell if the service is down, or if indeed I messed up my login.
I am surprised I have seen no mention of the outage on social media.
So, have others experienced this? Does it seem to be local to the northeast, or more general?
I do hope it is not just me...!!!

For unlocking and driving the app directly communicates with the car. Not much different than using the key card, it just does it over Bluetooth. You don’t need network service on the phone or the car to unlock or drive.

Now if you managed to log the app out and mess up login then it won’t passively grant access via Bluetooth.

Had the same issue on 25th. Rebooted car and phone, nothing. Used key card. Have an iphone and looked at the App Store and the Tesla app needed an update. After updating and cycling bluetooth off and on, car came to life. Sure felt like it had something to do with app update.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Had the same issue on 25th. Rebooted car and phone, nothing. Used key card. Have an iphone and looked at the App Store and the Tesla app needed an update. After updating and cycling bluetooth off and on, car came to life. Sure felt like it had something to do with app update.
Thanks! I do not have a key card because my car is too old for that. I removed and reinstalled the app. I reset my P/W through the online account (there is no apparent way to reset the password through the app itself -- no menu item for that). But now I still cannot log in, even after several days.
But I can log into MyTesla. Shouldn't they be the same? Maybe I have lost track -- Isn't the online access to your account the same as access to the phone app?

And of course there is no one you can call! Grr.

Thanks! I do not have a key card because my car is too old for that. I removed and reinstalled the app. I reset my P/W through the online account (there is no apparent way to reset the password through the app itself -- no menu item for that). But now I still cannot log in, even after several days.
But I can log into MyTesla. Shouldn't they be the same? Maybe I have lost track -- Isn't the online access to your account the same as access to the phone app?

And of course there is no one you can call! Grr.
And I tried again -- logged in online, and reset the password again, still will not work. And removed and reinstalled the app, again. Very frustrating....So I cannot connect to my car nor can I communicate with the Service Center without driving there. (Fortunately I live nearby.)

You can change your password in the app by clicking the portrait icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen, Account, Security and Privacy. Look in this area for an issue, and maybe change your password in the app (but I think it is the same as your online account as you do). Look over this area of the app for any discrepancies, including the Settings, Vehicle to see if any vehicke is enabled. Under Vehicle Enabled, select the 1> hopefully is shows in your app, and make sure the vehicle is enabled and it matches your cehicle.

And I tried again -- logged in online, and reset the password again, still will not work. And removed and reinstalled the app, again. Very frustrating....So I cannot connect to my car nor can I communicate with the Service Center without driving there. (Fortunately I live nearby.)
RESOLVED!! I had just recently installed an ad blocker on my phone. It would not have occurred to me, but it turns out the ad blocker was also blocking the Tesla app from logging in. So, I used the settings on the ad blocker to exclude the Tesla app, and Bingo! I could log in!