Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App ... What does activation mean?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested in hearing feedback from those that check app while in production process, and knowing what it means prior to and after activation. If it activates, does it mean car is finished and heading for delivery, or does it not activate until car is delivered? I keep checking app to see if it will connect and give insight as to when car will be done.

Interested in hearing feedback from those that check app while in production process, and knowing what it means prior to and after activation. If it activates, does it mean car is finished and heading for delivery, or does it not activate until car is delivered? I keep checking app to see if it will connect and give insight as to when car will be done.

You have to enable remote access from the car's settings and I think this is disabled by default. So you probably have to wait until you can get your hands on the car and change the setting. That's my theory anyway...

I have the same question. At some point during the production process, the app goes from "there is no vehicle associated with this account--your vehicle may not be ready" to "mobile App Remote Access is OFF". I think the OP was curious as to when this change happens. Is it when the car begins production or is it once the car is finished and the computers within the car are powered on for the first time and how long after the app makes the language switch do people end up waiting before delivery. Then, of course, you take delivery and turn on access at that point.

I think I have an answer: It looks like the App goes live on the Tesla server about 5-7 days before the car is complete. My vehicle is currently awaiting transport having finished production on Thursday/Friday. My App when live on Monday, May 27th.

My guess is when the computer get linked with the VIN

Yes. I had my VIN from myTesla for several days before the App worked. So we can reasonably assume that the computer makes the link to the VIN 5-7 days before the car is completed. A VIN has to be assigned before the car goes into production so they can track and order parts and the like so that makes sense.