Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at Costco

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D9E62C46-BBB5-4435-979A-EB512C9FC7A3.jpeg
I’m the Costco gas. LOLO!!

The funny part is he saved $0.60 on that 5 gallons of gas. Waited several minutes to get fuel. That’s dumb.
People will drive across town burning a quart of fuel and half an hour of time to save $.05 a gallon... most people can't do basic math. If you make 50K a year your time is worth $0.40 PER MINUTE, if 100K (obviously) $0.80 PER MIN. One of the reasons I value my time off vs Overtime money is I know how much my time off is worth :) It is worth a hell of a lot more than the money I save by sitting in line to save a few cents.

If you ENJOY mowing your own lawn, or working on cars (like I do) it makes sense to do it yourself... if you don't enjoy it and make a good income pay someone else to do the things you don't enjoy doing. Hell, I don't enjoy pluming or carpentry so it would be worth it for me to work a day of Overtime vs doing a day of work on my house.

Keith

People will drive across town burning a quart of fuel and half an hour of time to save $.05 a gallon... most people can't do basic math. If you make 50K a year your time is worth $0.40 PER MINUTE, if 100K (obviously) $0.80 PER MIN. One of the reasons I value my time off vs Overtime money is I know how much my time off is worth :) It is worth a hell of a lot more than the money I save by sitting in line to save a few cents.

If you ENJOY mowing your own lawn, or working on cars (like I do) it makes sense to do it yourself... if you don't enjoy it and make a good income pay someone else to do the things you don't enjoy doing. Hell, I don't enjoy pluming or carpentry so it would be worth it for me to work a day of Overtime vs doing a day of work on my house.

Keith
A lot of truth here. We used to go to Costco to get gas for the car. We lived 10 minutes away so not a deal breaker. Now we are 20-25 minutes away so getting fuel there just isn’t worth it as it feels like the energy and time it takes burns half the day. Now I pay the price premium to get it at local station.

The kicker is “time is money but I have more time than money” which is the motto I grew up under. I’ve adjusted this a little but doing everything I can to prevent cost of labor and spending that money on things I can tangibly own/use. That’s one way that we were able to afford a mortgage and Tesla in the Bay Area (granted we are still living check to check in some respect). We are trying to maintain a standard of living and any increases are put towards college fund, money market, or 401k.

I take my Model X to BJ’s gas (similar to Costco) to fill the gas can all the time. One of these days I’ll get an electric riding mower.
I regret not getting the larger battery pack in my Ryobi electric riding mower. They had two battery options and the smaller one was rated for 1.5 acres... I have 7/8 acre and figured this would be fine... but mulching takes more power than side discharge. When the batteries were NEW I could mow the entire lawn and have power left, now after a few years I have to stop 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through and charge up the mower again, or use my EGO electric push mower to finish up the job.

Keith

• Informative
Reactions: Trip McNealy
I regret not getting the larger battery pack in my Ryobi electric riding mower. They had two battery options and the smaller one was rated for 1.5 acres... I have 7/8 acre and figured this would be fine... but mulching takes more power than side discharge. When the batteries were NEW I could mow the entire lawn and have power left, now after a few years I have to stop 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through and charge up the mower again, or use my EGO electric push mower to finish up the job.

Keith
Yeah, I considered that riding Ryobi. It uses lead acid batteries. I would have elected the larger battery (always go for max range). I think it was 2 vs 4 batteries. Maybe you can install the larger pack configuration when you replace them. I figured we should see some lithium based riding lawnmowers soon, if not already. I own a golf cart and just replaced the lead acid batteries (6 8V batteries). $800.00 !! Good for about 6 years. I didn’t want another lead acid machine. The gas riding mower I have is as loud as hell, but works perfect unfortunately.

Yeah, I considered that riding Ryobi. It uses lead acid batteries. I would have elected the larger battery (always go for max range). I think it was 2 vs 4 batteries. Maybe you can install the larger pack configuration when you replace them. I figured we should see some lithium based riding lawnmowers soon, if not already. I own a golf cart and just replaced the lead acid batteries (6 8V batteries). $800.00 !! Good for about 6 years. I didn’t want another lead acid machine. The gas riding mower I have is as loud as hell, but works perfect unfortunately.

The small pack is 3 cells and the large is 4 cells, and if I remember correctly they are different amp hour cells as well as being a different number of cells. When it gets to where I can't do half the lawn on one charge I will replace the battery, and I will upgrade at that point to the larger pack.

EGO now has a 42" deck zero turn riding mower, pretty expensive but if you are already in the "EGO" universe it is a sweet setup.

Keith

Reactions: mswlogo
I really debated getting an electric riding mower this summer but the Cub Cadet zero turn EM (electricmower) was $2k more than the same model that was gas powered, plus I saw too many reviews with problems. I really wanted get rid of all gas powered machines but I will wait until the next gen of electric power powers comes out.

When I'm in LA County I stay about 3 min away from a Costco. Filling the 24 gallon tank in my weekend car (I end up putting around 20 gallons or so and its 0.75c a gallon less at Costco. It's a free $15. I do enjoy my time off as well but using that hourly calculation is a fallacy as I'd probably be playing video games or doing other nonproductive things.

When I'm in LA County I stay about 3 min away from a Costco. Filling the 24 gallon tank in my weekend car (I end up putting around 20 gallons or so and its 0.75c a gallon less at Costco. It's a free $15. I do enjoy my time off as well but using that hourly calculation is a fallacy as I'd probably be playing video games or doing other nonproductive things.

A 3 min drive to save $15 is fine. My point is my free time laying in the sun doing nothing is worth more to me than saving a few cents on fuel... playing video games is a bonus :)

Keith

Reactions: Daniel L
I have always find it so funny how people are so insane about the price of gas. I can understand when it jumps $1.50 a gallon in a month but there is so much time effort spent on saving a few cents per gallon. Example, I was going to visit my brother in PA this past weekend, coming from southern VA. He called me a day before the trip to tell me, "You better fill up before you get to PA because the prices are crazy here." Considering I was driving a 60ish mpg hybrid, I would arrive with over half a tank. Fill up would take about 6 gallons. Difference in price between PA and VA is about 30 cents per gallon. So filling up in PA would cost me about $1.80 more. Why would I invest any mental energy and time into doing an extra stop on the trip for $1.80? But that's the way his brain works and so it does for many people. The price of gas is seen as an overall gauge of the cost of living so they stress over it even though in practice 10 or 20 cents more or less doesn't really impact their wallet much. I do feel for businesses that have fleets of low MPG vehicles because that what their businesses require to function. A few cents does make a big difference but for the average person driving a 35 MPG car or small CUV, not so much. With that said, I have no sympathy for someone whose daily driver is a 15 MPG Escalade or F-250.