Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Auto Pilot Within Three Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? Reduce accidents and you reduce energy use. Steer perfectly and you reduce energy use. Avoid unnecessary braking and you reduce energy use. Avoid unnecessary acceleration and you reduce energy use. Park smoothly back into a spot and you reduce energy use. Precise computer control can and does increase efficiency. It's dumb computer control like basic cruise that doesn't.
Removing the humans reduces energy use as well....

As much as I respect Mr.Musk and what he has achieved: The idea of autopiloting is absolute rubbish. People WANT to drive their cars.
Out of curiosity, have you read the series of Forbes articles? I personally think when these features eventually become the norm, people will wonder how on earth they managed without a car with auto pilot.

Ask anyone that has a commute of over 20 minutes (which is a meaningful portion of America), and I think you would find that most people would love to be able to use auto pilot to get to and from work every day.

- - - Updated - - -

If Tesla is hiring to do the development of the AP all in house, it makes me wonder if a potential partnership with Google went bad? Potenatial disagreements over the technology and such.
This wouldn't surprise me at all given Elon's previous comments about Google's approach to driverless cars.

As much as I respect Mr.Musk and what he has achieved: The idea of autopiloting is absolute rubbish. People WANT to drive their cars. The freedom a car provides is one of the great feats of this invention.

Yeah, just like the silly cruise control and automatic transmissions ideas. Boy those never became popular. :wink: I definitely agree with Musk that talking about driverless cars puts people off and seems like science fiction. But extending adaptive cruise control to also do the steering is something people can understand.

I disagree Devil. Auto enthusiasts want to drive their car, and enjoy doing so. But a lot of people just want to get their mini van to school and the grocery store. Those people will use an autopiloted car. If/when it becomes safe and affordable.

I think the Auto-pilot thing may get the market confused on priorities...Elon can discuss it but needs to keep it low-profile. I see 3 tweets from him today on the auto-pilot subject.
Focus should be on margins, new products, production, superchargers, etc... the basics first.

Commuters are going to love autopilot. Enthusiasts will just switch it off. People who like to drink wine at dinner are going to love autopilot as well.

I think now that Hyperloop has been published Elon has some free time on his hands to head up the autopilot project. Affordable autopilot is going to be HUGE!!!!!!

Elon Musk has put out three tweets in the last hour, all about autonomous driving. He must really have a bee under his bonnet about it!

The latest one appears to indicate they have narrowed their investigations down to a solution. So it's not just "trying to develop it."

I think this automatic driving stuff is cool, and could improve safety, but as a shareholder I'd rather see their immediate energy focused on the supply chain, and specifically batteries. Would like to see an announcement of a megagigawhatever factory. Increased battery supply and lower battery cost are probably the two biggest issues standing in the way of great execution in the years ahead. A battery deal would probably send shares up 10-15% in minutes. Automatic driving is a nice to have, but batteries are a need to have.

I think this automatic driving stuff is cool, and could improve safety, but as a shareholder I'd rather see their immediate energy focused on the supply chain, and specifically batteries. Would like to see an announcement of a megagigawhatever factory. Increased battery supply and lower battery cost are probably the two biggest issues standing in the way of great execution in the years ahead. A battery deal would probably send shares up 10-15% in minutes. Automatic driving is a nice to have, but batteries are a need to have.

Totally agree!

Agree completely. Seems very much like a gimmick, and one that personally just doesn't excite me that much. On the other hand Tesla talking about it probably gives the stock a little bump.

Agree completely. Seems very much like a gimmick, and one that personally just doesn't excite me that much. On the other hand Tesla talking about it probably gives the stock a little bump.
Maybe I'm too geeky but auto driving cars are super amazing and how much time could be saved? Imagine being able to work or read while stuck in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. That wasted hour spent driving could become productive. What about the possibilities of 10-20 years down the road, am auto drive lane like the HOV lanes now, only going 100mph.

If Tesla Motors nails this and patents it! Look out! The value of the company will go to Mars!

Maybe I'm too geeky but auto driving cars are super amazing and how much time could be saved? Imagine being able to work or read while stuck in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic. That wasted hour spent driving could become productive.
I can understand your point, but that type of driving simply is not part of my life, by design. I'd probably go postal :cursing:

I can understand your point, but that type of driving simply is not part of my life, by design. I'd probably go postal :cursing:
Sometimes I have to drive 3 hours on the highway one way, work for 5, then drive home 3 hours. Sometimes the drive home includes a half hour nap because I'm drowsy, I would love to keep on heading home and take a quick nap, then after my snooze, pull out my laptop and do some work.

I love driving too and can understand what you are saying, but there are times I would love autopilot just like I love cruise control now. And to have the patent to this technology. That is extremely valuable. Think long haul truckers, UPS, USPS, and FedEx delivery drivers, they could prep their next delivery while the truck backs down the driveway. The list is endless of people that could use this technology to cut costs and increase productivity.

Ps: this should probably be in another thread, I went ot again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea, and to be able to have two or three glasses of wine at dinner instead of one. :)

So is the list of lawsuits if anything goes wrong ever (or someone fakes a failure well).

Yeah. People will start blaming every crash they get into on it, just like they were when Toyota had their "sudden acceleration" recall. All of a sudden, there was a rash of Toyota owners having the issue (even when they weren't). Unfortunately, I think we'll see self driving cars about the same time we are going to see flying cars. Neither will happen and for the same reasons. Too much potential for disaster. If there IS a self driving car, I don't see it being fully automatic and would probably require some form of interaction from the driver to make it work. I don't think we'll be able to take naps and read... Just my guess...

Think about what driverless technology will do for an entire new market ... we will no longer need to take the car keys away from aging parents. Instead, we will be giving them keys to a Tesla with driverless technology. Anything we can do to allow people to age with dignity is a good thing ... and driverless technology is one of those things. And it's a double win, since it also happens to open up a new market. :)

To be clear, I'm not talking about a car that acts as a taxi (though that would be useful). I'm talking about a car that provides assistance to a driver who may not be as sharp as they once were, to allow them to safely navigate the roads without putting themselves or others at risk.

Sometimes it's not about what WE want. Sometimes it's about what others need.