Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Auto Pilot Within Three Years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot cars on roadways full of non-Autopilot cars seems dangerous. I think autopilot works when all cars are working concurrently under autopilot.
And this is partly why some of us don't want autopilot cars:
Well, we have to make everyone use auto-suck-mode or nobody gets it. We've chosen auto-suck-mode for you. For you that want 'old style' driving (where you actually drive), our apologies - the government has chosen.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it wryly amusing that Elon is talking about auto-pilot when the Model S doesn't even have parking sensors!
Yes it does...

I find it wryly amusing that Elon is talking about auto-pilot when the Model S doesn't even have parking sensors!

I think he meant "MY Model S doesn't even have parking sensors!"

I for one am looking forward to the day when I can get onto highway 5 and take a nap while the car takes me to the next supercharger. Or read a book while slogging through the 405. I'm very encouraged with what Mercedes has on the new S class and Volvo's road-train demos.

I don't relish the idea of autopilot. I don't want to relinquish that much control to the car or to the company. And even if it is 99.99% reliable, if I drive 12000 miles a year, that means it works properly only 11,998.8 miles out of those 12000. Not good enough. I may be an early adopter with the Model S, but I am a staunch Luddite when it comes to autopilot or self-driving cars.

Tess..... Wake me when we arrive in Las Vegas at a good place for breakfast.

"I will Lloyd. What would you prefer for Breakfast? I show a great buffet with good ratings for Eggs Bennedict. I know you like that!"

That will do fine Tess.

"Good night Lloyd. Would you like me to play some music while you go to sleep?"

Thank you Tess....... Music trails........

I disagree with you, brian. I don't care to use the autopilot myself, but I am looking forward to the day that others will have autopilot. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have limited sight and limited mobility and yet are forced to take command of the car in order to drive. Imagine if you took all those drivers who are slow to respond or slow to react and you made them all predictable autopilot drivers? You and I could still cruise the highway, and do so in even more safety, until we decide we aren't confident enough in our driving ability.

Imagine if you could take all the drunk drivers off the roads, too.

I disagree with you, brian. I don't care to use the autopilot myself, but I am looking forward to the day that others will have autopilot. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who have limited sight and limited mobility and yet are forced to take command of the car in order to drive. Imagine if you took all those drivers who are slow to respond or slow to react and you made them all predictable autopilot drivers? You and I could still cruise the highway, and do so in even more safety, until we decide we aren't confident enough in our driving ability.

Technology innovations all come at a price. ICEs brought mobility to millions, but covered the earth in pavement and snarled traffic, and filled the air with pollution. Cellphones brought communications to millions, but as we have learned, at the price of every shred of personal privacy. Autopilots and self-driving cars, like the existing Model S and devices like the Kindle, will undoubtedly "phone home," track one's every movement, which again, most will argue the old chestnut, "I've nothing to hide" which is not the point. Autopilot/self-driving cars are one more removal of privacy and individual control. There will be good aspects, like a bad guy stealing car, well, call the authorities and, presto, the car gets disabled remotely. But there will be bad aspects too, like authorities unlawfully deciding to detain you and utilizing a "back-door" that the car company had to install allowing the govt to override the car's ability to move forward, or, worse, override the destination you programmed into the car, and instead it takes you to, oh, some undisclosed location. :)

Sure, claim tinfoil hat rebuttals all you want. But we live in the post-Snowden era, and all bets are off, including with cars, in my opinion.

Tess..... Wake me when we arrive in Las Vegas at a good place for breakfast.

"I will Lloyd. What would you prefer for Breakfast? I show a great buffet with good ratings for Eggs Bennedict. I know you like that!"

That will do fine Tess.

"Good night Lloyd. Would you like me to play some music while you go to sleep?"

Thank you Tess....... Music trails........
"Lloyd?"
"Lloyd, are you there?"
"Crap. I'm never going to hear the end of this from the neighbor's car."
"Hello, Tesla roadside? Yes, this is Lloyd's car. We got hit by a BMW."
"Yes, yes. We're fine. Lloyd's a bit sleepy though, and that BMW was shredded."

- - - Updated - - -

Shall we talk about low-flow toilets? And forced transitions to different light bulb technologies? Don't even get me started on healthcare and religion. Government loves to do things "for" you.

As much as I respect Mr.Musk and what he has achieved: The idea of autopiloting is absolute rubbish. People WANT to drive their cars. The freedom a car provides is one of
the great feats of this invention. I can understand that autopiloting is considered. But it is a major mistake to believe people want it and it is a major design error to pursuit
this goal NOW with priority. But Mr.Musk isn't the only one...looks like a form of superflous design fever (Morbus Fisker) running through the auto industry right now.

Ask ANYONE around You: People want to control their own car. If You want to design a fully automatic car, the automobile itself has to be completely redesigned, like with
a bathroom and a bed, You know ? Why design an automatic vehicle and still forcing the driver to sit (uncomfortably) in the drivers seat all the time... :)

Strongly recommend against priorising this now for Tesla...

As much as I respect Mr.Musk and what he has achieved: The idea of autopiloting is absolute rubbish. People WANT to drive their cars. The freedom a car provides is one of
the great feats of this invention. I can understand that autopiloting is considered. But it is a major mistake to believe people want it and it is a major design error to pursuit
this goal NOW with priority. But Mr.Musk isn't the only one...looks like a form of superflous design fever (Morbus Fisker) running through the auto industry right now.

Ask ANYONE around You: People want to control their own car. If You want to design a fully automatic car, the automobile itself has to be completely redesigned, like with
a bathroom and a bed, You know ? Why design an automatic vehicle and still forcing the driver to sit (uncomfortably) in the drivers seat all the time... :)

I'm sure that the "autopilot" will be an option that is user selectable. For those who want to drive, this option isn't going to stop them.

T-Dev, I agree, but then again I don't drink coffee and yet it's a crazy big industry. Some people will want this and governments will eventually mandate it for safety considerations. I don't understand how this fits in with 'sustainable transportation' and I really hope this doesn't take away from my new Model X and E that I want to buy.

As much as I respect Mr.Musk and what he has achieved: The idea of autopiloting is absolute rubbish. People WANT to drive their cars.
Ask ANYONE around You: People want to control their own car.

Totally agreed.

Except. When I make a 400 mile drive up the 5 to visit family. Driving at 65mph for >45min in a sitting is _not_ fun. I'd much rather have autopilot take over the controls.

In ordinary daily life, no autopilot for me.

T-Dev, I agree, but then again I don't drink coffee and yet it's a crazy big industry. Some people will want this and governments will eventually mandate it for safety considerations. I don't understand how this fits in with 'sustainable transportation' and I really hope this doesn't take away from my new Model X and E that I want to buy.

Huh? Reduce accidents and you reduce energy use. Steer perfectly and you reduce energy use. Avoid unnecessary braking and you reduce energy use. Avoid unnecessary acceleration and you reduce energy use. Park smoothly back into a spot and you reduce energy use. Precise computer control can and does increase efficiency. It's dumb computer control like basic cruise that doesn't.