Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, it can tell the roo is in mid jump, but how does it tell if it is a big roo jumping far away, or a small roo closer?
With a 25 + foot horizontal, 6 foot vertical, and 35MPH top speed, there may not be many frames to use.
Same goes for deer jumping in front of (on into the side of) one's car....

Easy... by measuring how long it takes for a laser pulse to reflect off the roo and return to the lidar.

Oh, wait...

In my fantasy world of MCU1 / AP2 and pre-purchased FSD in 2017, I'm curious if my wife's foot heater experience will change if our car is ever upgraded to HW3 AP.

It's my understanding that the S/X are air cooled while the 3s are liquid cooled. If the new AP3 NN chip runs at a lower CPU utilization, one might assume it's using less energy and generating less heat? Does that mean the foot heater goes away?

In my fantasy world of MCU1 / AP2 and pre-purchased FSD in 2017, I'm curious if my wife's foot heater experience will change if our car is ever upgraded to HW3 AP.

It's my understanding that the S/X are air cooled while the 3s are liquid cooled. If the new AP3 NN chip runs at a lower CPU utilization, one might assume it's using less energy and generating less heat? Does that mean the foot heater goes away?
It is a lower percentage of a higher capacity. However, the real question is peak power usage. With a newer die, it is likely smaller lithography and more power efficient, but may have more gates. So I suggest getting a small 12V heater just in case.

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Oh, that is just a reversed Michigan left!
Don't forget the Jersey Jughandle
376ytg9gvtf01.png

Reactions: GSP
I wonder if all of these special turn types (in the wild) have adequate signage for a computer to interpret correctly, or if there will be a dependency on accurate maps. Of course, both parsing the signs correctly and having accurate maps is good. The former seems to be more a technical challenge and the latter more a logistical one.

It is a lower percentage of a higher capacity. However, the real question is peak power usage. With a newer die, it is likely smaller lithography and more power efficient, but may have more gates. So I suggest getting a small 12V heater just in case.

It's a different manufacturer and chip design, so I don't think there's any guarantee it'll be made with a smaller die. I understand the nVidia chip is based on the Pascal architecture, which is 14nm or 16nm.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
Honestly, it's a situation like that makes me skeptical of true L4 autonomy. Navigating that roundabout with no cars around would be doable but add in a dozen other cars that might break the rules or act stupid, it becomes a nightmare scenario for FSD.
I have driven the magic roundabout in the uk and even for my wet human brain there was a overload and a definite nightmare scenario!!

Reactions: diplomat33
Honestly, it's a situation like that makes me skeptical of true L4 autonomy. Navigating that roundabout with no cars around would be doable but add in a dozen other cars that might break the rules or act stupid, it becomes a nightmare scenario for FSD.

L4 doesn't need to operate on all roads and handle all intersections. That would be L5.

I have driven the magic roundabout in the uk and even for my wet human brain there was a overload and a definite nightmare scenario!!
Which illustrates one advantage of "intelligent" machines over our brains, namely, once something is learned, that knowledge can be easily downloaded to other artificial brains (e.g., a fleet of cars). The rules of that roundabout are not actually that complicated, but it is intimidating to those who haven't seen it. It has actually improved traffic flow over the old, more traditional (but big) roundabout. The locals get it. People frequently have trouble with new traffic patterns and with tracking large numbers of objects going in different directions. Heck, people around here can't even figure out normal roundabouts (signal on the way out, not the way in! :mad:).

This reminds me of the ridiculous trope you see in every space movie/show, where the "pilot" has to take manual control to navigate the minefield or whatever. As if computers 500 years from now will be worse than a human (or Klingon, or ...) at tracking 10,000 objects moving in 3D space at different rates and plotting a high-speed, safe path through them. Oh, and those same computers can instantly translate from any language in the universe to any other. Yeah, that sounds plausible.