Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe in the presentation, it was said they already have redundant power and network feeds. I do not think it would be very feasible to retrofit that.

If you look at the high res shot on the left side are the redundant power and canbus on the blue and white connectors. This connectors exist on ap 2.0 and ap 2.5. So it would appear that yes, there is full redundancy in the harness for comma and power to the apu.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
If you look at the high res shot on the left side are the redundant power and canbus on the blue and white connectors. This connectors exist on ap 2.0 and ap 2.5. So it would appear that yes, there is full redundancy in the harness for comma and power to the apu.
no redundant power on the blue connector on hw2.0 in the wiring diagrams.

I think not on hw2.5 either but don't have that handy. I know you can power the whole thing (both nodes) from one pin on the blue connector.

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
no redundant power on the blue connector on hw2.0 in the wiring diagrams.

I think not on hw2.5 either but don't have that handy. I know you can power the whole thing (both nodes) from one pin on the blue connector.

Blue is primary power and coms. White is secondary power and coms according to the ap3 high res board shot. Both blue and white connectors exist on ap 2.0 and ap 2.5.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Blue is primary power and coms. White is secondary power and coms according to the ap3 high res board shot. Both blue and white connectors exist on ap 2.0 and ap 2.5.
you ar correct that there is secondary power on the white connector. But it's 1/4 the wire thickness, so a lot lower power. I suspect you cannot power the actual compute node at full power usage through it.

The unit works just fine even if you don't supply any power to that pin, so I am not really sure what's the purpose of it.

you ar correct that there is secondary power on the white connector. But it's 1/4 the wire thickness, so a lot lower power. I suspect you cannot power the actual compute node at full power usage through it.

The unit works just fine even if you don't supply any power to that pin, so I am not really sure what's the purpose of it.

I'd expect dual power feeds to the module that then get (ideal/ protected)diode ORed to create two dual sourced power feeds to the DC-DC converters that then each feed half the module.

Lose one power wire, full module still works. Get a short on one half, other half stays powered.

As to wire gauge, 72W is only 6 amps (at worst casre 12V), so 18 gauge could work. With the onboard buck converters, a little drop in the harness only hurts efficency. Could be a lower power backup feed though.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'd expect dual power feeds to the module that then get (ideal/ protected)diode ORed to create two dual sourced power feeds to the DC-DC converters that then each feed half the module.

Lose one power wire, full module still works. Get a short on one half, other half stays powered.

As to wire gauge, 72W is only 6 amps (at worst casre 12V), so 18 gauge could work. With the onboard buck converters, a little drop in the harness only hurts efficency. Could be a lower power backup feed though.

Wouldn't backup power have to be the same as primary in case of the "order of magnitude"(TM) less failure rate?

Wouldn't backup power have to be the same as primary in case of the "order of magnitude"(TM) less failure rate?

They both need to be capable of supplying the 72W. The larger wire is more power efficient, but the smaller could still be capable. Especially in a fault mode where the car reports loss of power redundancy and you get it serviced soon. No need to design it with both feeds sized for maximum efficiency if it normally runs off one. So maybe primary/ backup versus dual primary.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
I believe in the presentation, it was said they already have redundant power and network feeds. I do not think it would be very feasible to retrofit that.
I agree. Elon said that all Teslas built since 2016 were designed as robotaxis, meaning that they all had redundant and emergency power supplies for critical systems as well as redundant steering motors and brake functionality.

I agree. Elon said that all Teslas built since 2016 were designed as robotaxis, meaning that they all had redundant and emergency power supplies for critical systems as well as redundant steering motors and brake functionality.

Except we know that they were not. HW2.5 in 2017 added additional redundancy in wiring harnesses and maybe some other stuff? Others know the details better than I do. I would be shocked if HW2.0 had redundant power steering and brakes, but maybe somebody with definitive information can speak up.

Reactions: jvonbokel
Except we know that they were not. HW2.5 in 2017 added additional redundancy in wiring harnesses and maybe some other stuff? Others know the details better than I do. I would be shocked if HW2.0 had redundant power steering and brakes, but maybe somebody with definitive information can speak up.
redundant steering rack was only added in hw2.5

not sure about brakes.

We know no such thing. You really ought to stop listening to the voices in your head. Just because 2.5 is better than 2.0, that does not mean that 2.0 is inadequate for robotaxi use.

I wonder more about the lack of an internal camera on S & X. Seems necessary to me.