Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it doesn’t convey that to me. :) It talks of ”VIN rollout” which is standard language for recall type of situations that happen by VIN batches, VIN ranges. The message in no way defines what those ranges are.

Maybe I’ve also been following Tesla’s comments on this one too closely but chronological order is not the sentiment I got here. The VIN here is the determining factor on whether or not your car is eligible at the SC. That is what the SC is trying to convey again in my view. VIN rollout, like any recall, means the ”recall” event becomes available to cars based on VIN batches. For example: when parts for that batch become available.

And, look, I’m trying to be fair on Tesla here too. So this is not just me saying ”even if Tesla said that, one shouldn’t read it literally because it rarely if ever is true like that”. I just really don’t think the message claims any old car / old VIN priority at all. The VIN here refers to the fact that the VIN determines when you get the upgrade, but it does not specify any order of priority for VINs.

If you asked me to rollout some change by VIN I'd assume chronological order, and that's how the work orders would go out. Along with also corresponding them to location.

Now I do agree that there are other ways to interpret it like VIN batches.

It certainty didn't clarify the HW2 situation or the MCU1 situation as it pertains to HW3. It was only intended to inform a Model 3 owner of the process.

If I was the person that received the message I'd ask them to clarify the situation with HW2, and with MCU1.

I think @diplomat33 posted a falsehood when he claimed Tesla’s message somehow portrays older Model S/X cars as having retrofit priority. The message simply does no such thing.

I think @diplomat33 posted an interpretation of Tesla's message that was typical of the average Tesla owner.

Where your interpretation was one where you knew the answer already (which of course they're going to do it based on batches of the same configurations), and you worked backwards from that.

If I was a linguistic person I'd probably find the conversation fascinating.

If I was the person that received the message I'd ask them to clarify the situation with HW2, and with MCU1.

Believe me, I never anticipated this level of controversy when I originally posted the screenshot of the text message I received from the SC, otherwise I would have done exactly that.

That being said, I responded to their text just now, but unfortunately I got that text on Monday, so I don't even know if they'll bother to respond so long after I closed out the service request.

I'll post the update if/when I hear back.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
Just a guess but I think Tesla will do Model S AP2.5 first, then Model S AP2 then Model 3.
@diplomat33, as a person I like you, but as a poster on TMC almost all of your posts are, I Guess, I Think, I Hope and are not backed by facts.

As an early adopter that spent over $48,000 to trade in my S85D on a S90D AP2 Model S, I have been lied to so many times that I do not believe anything in print from Tesla and Elon. Just because it is in print, you believe everything that Tesla is saying.

I believe that @electronblue is right. Tesla will upgrade Tesla Model S AP2.5 cars first, then Model 3 AP2.5 cars next, and then much later will update Model S AP2 cars if they can create a solution that works.

@diplomat33, as a person I like you, but as a poster on TMC almost all of your posts are, I Guess, I Think, I Hope and are not backed by facts.

In the past, it has been pointed out to me that I sometimes sounded very definitive in my opinions which led people to believe I had inside information or was sharing facts when I was actually just trying to express my opinion with confidence. I am trying to do better. I just want to make it clear when I am sharing a personal opinion so that people don't confuse my opinions for facts. When I post a fact, I say it is a fact. When it is an opinion, I say it is an opinion. And a forum is a place to share opinions too.

And I simply shared the message from Tesla so that people can see it for themselves. Just like I share Elon's tweets so that people can see them for themselves.

Reactions: jebinc
You guys want facts? Ok. It is a fact that Tesla wrote the following message:

screenshot_20191113-094800_voice-jpg.476529

I am not making any claims about whether Tesla will do it. But it is a fact that Tesla said it. And the message does not say anything about AP2 or AP2.5. So saying that AP2.5 will be done first is conjecture. It might a reasonable conjecture based on other facts we have, but it is still conjecture at this point until we actually see mass upgrades happen.

I believe that @electronblue is right. Tesla will upgrade Tesla Model S AP2.5 cars first, then Model 3 AP2.5 cars next, and then much later will update Model S AP2 cars if they can create a solution that works.

That is not consistent with what Tesla has said:

"Model S/X will get the upgrade first, again by vin. Then, Model 3 will start getting rolled out."

The way it is worded certainly seems to imply to me that ALL Model S/X will be upgraded BEFORE they even start upgrading Model 3's.

Just had the yellowing removed on the MCU of my 2018 MS 75D (9/2018 build date). I was told my car was slated for the HW3 update and they would be upgrading during that visit.

I honestly didn't think I would be receiving that upgrade anytime soon. Figured the older versions would be the first to be upgraded.

Unfortunately it didn't fix my cars tendency to slam on the brakes when traffic crosses 5-600' ahead of me. I know autopilot/cruise ctrl. is Beta but dang, talk about over reacting. Was really hoping HW3 would fix that.

Matt

You guys want facts? Ok. It is a fact that Tesla wrote the following message:

screenshot_20191113-094800_voice-jpg.476529

I am not making any claims about whether Tesla will do it. But it is a fact that Tesla said it. And the message does not say anything about AP2 or AP2.5. So saying that AP2.5 will be done first is conjecture. It might a reasonable conjecture based on other facts we have, but it is still conjecture at this point until we actually see mass upgrades happen.
LOL, funny. "Testa" said.... someone at a service center, if that, and we all know how much to trust those guys. The only "fact" is that this is a screenshot - that's it, that's a fact, the rest is open to your imagination

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
LOL, funny. "Testa" said.... someone at a service center, if that, and we all know how much to trust those guys. The only "fact" is that this is a screenshot - that's it, that's a fact, the rest is open to your imagination
And as I've said before, in my experience, the service centre personnel are even less informed than we are.

Just had the yellowing removed on the MCU of my 2018 MS 75D (9/2018 build date). I was told my car was slated for the HW3 update and they would be upgrading during that visit.
I honestly didn't think I would be receiving that upgrade anytime soon. Figured the older versions would be the first to be upgraded.
Unfortunately it didn't fix my cars tendency to slam on the brakes when traffic crosses 5-600' ahead of me. I know autopilot/cruise ctrl. is Beta but dang, talk about over reacting. Was really hoping HW3 would fix that.
Matt
Not sure why you think HW3 would change that. AFAIK there is not custom software/NNs for HW3 yet. Did you think/read there is a difference yet for HW3? Cones have been talked about. But elon tweeted it's SW not HW and in prog.
Also would you rather it error on the side of caution or brake at 5'-6' :) -- just hover your foot over the accel if you see this scenerio and press a little to override.
I had it brake twice today for cars crossing in front of me. Probably 3-400 maybe 500'. No big deal. I appreciate it being extra safe especially in winter with wet road and possibly snow/ice.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
I thought that based on what the Tesla service tech. told me. He said this upgrade will probably fix that issue. Lol and I believed him....

I don't mind the system being cautious but slamming on the brakes almost got me rear ended doing 55 on the highway which could have caused a multi car pileup. This has happened 4 times now, I can't even use my cruise ctrl.

Matt

That is not consistent with what Tesla has said:

"Model S/X will get the upgrade first, again by vin. Then, Model 3 will start getting rolled out."

The way it is worded certainly seems to imply to me that ALL Model S/X will be upgraded BEFORE they even start upgrading Model 3's.
Again, you are reading what you think into what Tesla said. They said that Model S/X will be upgraded first. This does not mean all Model S/Xs will be upgraded before Model 3s.

If Elon/Tesla does not give AP2 owners an upgrade path to MCU2, new updates will give fewer and fewer features to AP2 cars. I installed 2019.36.2.1 yesterday and the only new features that I got were Departure Charge Scheduling and the Automatic Navigation.

I have heard the first report on Reddit of a Model 3 getting a HW3 retrofit. SF Bay Area.

Not my car, but he is currently in service and not yet completed, but just wanted to throw this information out there. I'm not sure if there have been previous reports of model 3's having the HW3 swap done.

PSA: My Model 3 is getting the HW3 computer installed right now, apparently. : teslamotors

Relevant details: 1/18 build date, low-4000s VIN, FSD at delivery. Not a member of the Early Access program. Located in the SF Bay Area.

• Helpful
Reactions: NHK X and scottf200