Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla batteries designed last to 10 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say.... I'm still shaking my head in disbelief that batteries can be made to last this long, and serve this hard, and still keep going. Eveready Battery Bunny on steroids, that's what Tesla has developed. Simply amazing. And they keep improving them to be even better.
FWIW, my 85D at two years and 47,000 miles seems to have no drop in Max range.

For what it's worth, my Roadster has also lost about 13%, but I'm at over 7 years and 42k miles. Different battery chemistry, yes, but yours should be better. No?
I agree that mine should be better on a three year old car with 29k miles. Whether or not I can convince Tesla service of that remains to be seen. I have been asked to jump through some hoops to ensure that the numbers I am getting are real before they will agree to take a look at it, which I consider a reasonable request.

Where is it hiding?

Doesn't need to hide. BMS measures a level, gets multiplied by a value, gets displayed on your dash as rated miles. I've seen my car do step changes in capacity values before.

Also from a few people that have run very high mileage, the car will likely shut down long before it gets to 0 when the capacity loss is high enough. So as long as you don't test the low end of energy, you'll never know.

Doesn't need to hide. BMS measures a level, gets multiplied by a value, gets displayed on your dash as rated miles. I've seen my car do step changes in capacity values before.

Also from a few people that have run very high mileage, the car will likely shut down long before it gets to 0 when the capacity loss is high enough. So as long as you don't test the low end of energy, you'll never know.

I disagree completely with this. We have ran it to 5 rated miles or less many times. We've ran it to zero 3 times. Our car has never shut down on us. This is on a Classic S85 though so your mileage may vary.

I've been down to 7 RM with no problems.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Any guarantee??

You have a 8 year warranty. I wouldn't be concerned about the battery because of the warranty. Tesla will fix it. No one has yet reported severe degradation like other EVs (Nissan Leaf) suffer from so if your worry is not being able to go long distances then your worry is unfounded. This coming from a guy who has had two battery failures in his Classic S and drives 40k miles a year.