Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla begins HD map development (collecting short camera videos) as i predicted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured. I guess I just don't share this jaded pessimism that some here seem to have when it comes to Tesla.

That's okay. Spend a quarter-million dollars based in part upon promises and timelines that don't hold up to even basic validation and you'll find that realism will enter your world. Nothing jaded or pessimistic about it.

As a coping method in the meantime, many of we multiple Tesla owners and shareholders employ one or more of the following techniques:

1. When a new thingamabob is reported in the press, confirm who said it.

2. Whoever said it, follow up for a date estimate for delivery.

3. If Elon said it, be happy that whatever it is *will* probably happen - just not necessarily with the car you own or are about to buy now, and then triple the estimated timeframe.

You may not like it, but it is what it is. Now imagine if you didn't own or are about to own the best car on earth. Try getting a software update from *twitch* BMW. And so forth.

So the two cases can co-exist. Love the direction of the company, and for damn sure hold them accountable when you're paying the depreciation and getting less than what you were promised/led to believe in the first place.

That's not what I am talking about. I am talking about Musk's tweet today that there is a new nav engine that is almost ready for release that Musk says will be "light years ahead" of the current maps. So according to Musk, there is something new coming that is even better than the new maps being used now.

No, your incorrect I assure you. It’s Valhalla, it’s been Valhalla for a very long time now. I don’t care what Musk says, I care what the code says, it’s far more reliable then Elon.

Reactions: croman
No, your incorrect I assure you. It’s Valhalla, it’s been Valhalla for a very long time now. I don’t care what Musk says, I care what the code says, it’s far more reliable then Elon.

What?! So the CEO of the company is wrong? Are you really suggesting that the CEO of the company tweeted that a new update is coming when the update was already released months ago? That makes no sense. Maybe the maps are new based on the current code but clearly there is some newer nav engine coming soon since Musk tweeted about it.

What?! So the CEO of the company is wrong? Are you really suggesting that the CEO of the company tweeted that a new update is coming when the update was already released months ago? That makes no sense.

Sure, let’s do this. Yes, I’m saying the CEO is not revealing the entire truth. I’ll elaborate, the new map code has been on the s/x for at least 9 if not more months now. I’d have to go dig through a bunch to find when it emerged, but frankly it doesn’t matter currently It’s just being used on dev cars, but it’s been around for a long time. It’s also the current maps for the m3.

I’ll let you in on a little secret, take anything the CEO says with a huge grain of salt, take any timelines he gives you and at least double if not triple it.

Reactions: FlyF4 and croman
Sure, let’s do this. Yes, I’m saying the CEO is not revealing the entire truth. I’ll elaborate, the new map code has been on the s/x for at least 9 if not more months now. I’d have to go dig through a bunch to find when it emerged, but frankly it doesn’t matter currently It’s just being used on dev cars, but it’s been around for a long time. It’s also the current maps for the m3.

And my point is that the new map code may be out already but clearly Tesla is testing something new or Musk would not have tweeted what he did. It would make no sense for him to tweet that a new map engine is coming soon, if the code is already installed in cars.

And my point is that the new map code may be out already but clearly Tesla is testing something new or Musk would not have tweeted what he did. It would make no sense for him to tweet that a new map engine is coming soon, if the code is already installed in cars.

You know nothing Jon Snow...

Elon is tweeting about features that all of our cars have they are just not enabled. They might be doing other things but Elon's tweets and reality are not in coexistence. For example, he tweeted that the NN was working great on Dec 22, 2016 and it didn't even exist at that time (and he also said AP1 parity about 5 different times and we still don't have that (well not all of us, some of the more enterprising and lucky individuals have 99% AP1 parity)).

Just do some reading and trust those who have seen the Wizard of Oz behind the curtain.

Wait wait wait! So, where’s my EAP features he promised was coming in thee months maybe six months definitely back on Jan 23, 2017 ?????

Again, I don't think anyone denies that Musk has been very late on his autopilot timeline. But Tesla will deliver.

Here's your maps that don't exist yet... Obviously, there is more then this, but you get the point I'm sure.

tesla-maps.png