Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a long time I have predicted that the first major victim for this transition to BEV will be Fiat-Chrysler. Well, the Italian government will probably save Fiat, but I don't know how it will go with Chrysler. And that saddens me...

The Pacifica Hybrid seems like a really solid PHEV, and a great choice of markets for it. Only one car, and sold in small numbers so far - but a better effort than anything Ford or Toyota has put on the table so far.

VW seems like they're doing the transition for real. Wow.

My next car may be a VW, if Tesla continues its record of breaking things in software and never fixing them, or still has no service center anywhere near me. When VW gets an EV into showrooms, I'll bring in my USB stick and see if they're doing better than Tesla...

My next car may be a VW, if Tesla continues its record of breaking things in software and never fixing them, or still has no service center anywhere near me. When VW gets an EV into showrooms, I'll bring in my USB stick and see if they're doing better than Tesla...

We all know that VW is the master of hidden software functionality.

Don’t forget to bring your portable lie detector too. :rolleyes: VW has an extraordinary amount of atoning to do before I would ever give them a penny. I’m still struggling with what it would take for me to vote for them with my wallet. USB music isn’t in the top 1000 for me! LOL

Serious question: how old are you?

I haven't used a USB key since 2011 and I'm in my early 30's and worked at multiple software editing company as PM / sales / marketing manager. I also don't use cloud services (neither for music, movies or files except for work) as I much prefer the simplicity and ubiquity of Syncthing to have my data synced in real time between all my devices.

Who plug things for data, nowadays?

It might be a bit far fetched to say that trains are competition for Tesla, but somehow they are and I didn’t know where else to stick this. Only 20% of Germany’s high-speed trains are fully operational:

Nur 20 Prozent der ICE "voll funktionsfähig"

Google Translate

Many in my peer group think that public transport is a good solution to stop pollution by transport. I dislike public transport and think cheap EVs + autonomy are a much better solution.

Edition 25 of my favorite loved and hated car magazine “auto motor und sport” came out. As always, they try to ignore Tesla or spit FUD... It’s understandable, it’s obvious who pays their ads. They include this production forecast for light electric vehicles in 2021:

Audi 138000
BMW 89000
Mercedes 183000
VW 249000.

This compares to my estimate for Tesla’s production of 1.2 to 1.8 million EVs in 2021.

Reactions: replicant
Edition 25 of my favorite loved and hated car magazine “auto motor und sport” came out. As always, they try to ignore Tesla or spit FUD... It’s understandable, it’s obvious who pays their ads. They include this production forecast for light electric vehicles in 2021:

Audi 138000
BMW 89000
Mercedes 183000
VW 249000.

This compares to my estimate for Tesla’s production of 1.2 to 1.8 million EVs in 2021.
Did anyone made a selection of predictions from media publications regarding EV production by the competition?

I could only find this one World's 10 Biggest Automakers & Their EV Plans | CleanTechnica (quite recent) but I'd also like forecasts of global EV sales (absolute numbers and relative to auto sales), so we can compare them with our own and track them over time.

I guess this BEV competition thread is best for that, or the oil one: Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla. Or a new one, that does not focus on EV models or non-car issues?

Many in my peer group think that public transport is a good solution to stop pollution by transport. I dislike public transport and think cheap EVs + autonomy are a much better solution.

Why? What do you dislike in public transportation?

Also, what kind of EV alternative do you expect? Autonomous electric mini-bus operated by the public could work, non? Public transport can also be smart, to pick and drop you from start to destination (with other passengers, based on demand in real time).

Hub model. Oh, limited operating hours.

Also, what kind of EV alternative do you expect? Autonomous electric mini-bus operated by the public could work, non? Public transport can also be smart, to pick and drop you from start to destination (with other passengers, based on demand in real time).

In effect, autonomous taxi/rental cars would form a public transportation system. We can only hope it happens.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden
Don’t forget to bring your portable lie detector too. :rolleyes: VW has an extraordinary amount of atoning to do before I would ever give them a penny. I’m still struggling with what it would take for me to vote for them with my wallet. USB music isn’t in the top 1000 for me! LOL

Nothing. I don't want to sit in my car and think "evil murderous scum".

Reactions: skitown

I should clarify: I dislike mass transport. Automated taxis will be great! And affordable for everyone. I don’t live in a big city, where mass transport is a necessity.

Reactions: neroden