Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What’s going on with the Model 3 range data? Doesn’t look correct to me.

909C95C4-DDB8-4CB8-A4D6-86C8C2F1D526.jpeg

Reactions: Jovian and JRP3
Not originally planned that way. They only went to S/W locked 60Kwh packs when the take up rate (< 4% IIRC) was so low that the cost to build/stock an separate part made no sense.

Which doesn't disagree with your point, I suspect you are correct that they lost money on them... just pointing out they did initially plan a real 40KWh pack.

Sorry I left that detail out, I had read that they chose to software limit the 60 because sales were low.

I think any Ford executive with an IQ above 100 would rather buy the Rivian skateboard or Rivian itself.

MEB for the popularly priced midsize CUV with 300 mile range that is supposed to debut in 2020 and the Lincoln luxury version a year or two later ? Yes.

I've been thinking for a while a good approach by Ford, at least when it comes to upscale EVs, would be to acquire stakes in both Lucid [for Lincoln] and Rivian, with a view to later sole ownership. Provided they managed to keep their classic car hierarchy very carefully contained. Money well spent now. Lucid looks like an excellent match product wise, seeing how Lincoln's character is meant to ev-olve. While Rivian's team probably is closest to compatibility with conventional industry procedures.

so they made a mini-frunk.
"Frunkini".

If anyone is seriously thinking about mass producing a vehicle with more than a 100 KWh battery better have a GigaFactory or two in their backyard before they start.
Or else it's just "GagaFUDdery".

Keep em coming.

haha, within the first two minutes he already gave two examples of things that were not useful.....and that was just in the digital "cockpit"

Yea, interesting to watch. Audi seems awesome in the noise insulation, suck on the energy consumption and be a mix with regards to pretty much all other aspects (I'm not doing the 1 hour video justice - everyone should watch it themselves- the car seems to still be pretty buggy in terms of software...)

Last edited:
Reactions: ggies07
haha, within the first two minutes he already gave two examples of things that were not useful.....and that was just in the digital "cockpit"
Seems like a favorable review overall, but to quote Bjorn, "it's soooo thirsty" that I think it will disappoint many first time EV buyers here in the US, where we drive fast for long distances, with cars full of stuff. Especially in the west (non CA) where there are large gaps in charging infrastructure. I have friends up where I live that are interested in it and I don't believe they understand the realities of the eTron's range. And the moment they encounter a charging hassle like Bjorn did they won't have the patience for it. It will be relegated to a "glorified AWD Nissan Leaf city car" for them. They simply don't understand how much of an asset the Supercharging network is for long distance travel.

Didn't focus on the lower versions of M3, but long range looked correct to me.

Thing that stood out were the last 3 columns.
Wish it also had data about the battery warranty. (miles & years) .. cheers!!
The LR did an OK job with the M/kWh column, but it used the 35k price from the base model to determine the cost per M/kWh so it lost there. None of the results for the Model 3 in the last column were correct.

It sounds like you're pulling numbers out of thin air. We have battery pack cost estimates for Tesla and that's about it. There's a reason no one has undercut Tesla and it's exactly for the reasons I stated. It's all about batteries and no one is investing in their improvement and production as much as Tesla has, as far as I can see.

During the last cc, Elon was asked specifically about the price differential between ice and EV powertrains.

This was his answer, " The - that said, in terms of initial cost of acquisition, I think it's probably - this is just off the top of my head, not a calculated number, probably on the order of 7k but trending towards 4k or 5k. It's off the top of my head."

Considering that a current ev Niro has a $15k difference with its hybrid version this makes sense. Tesla has about an $8k cost advantage in powertrain prices. Using elons estimates for scaled ev powertrain prices puts a scaled ev Niro at about $25k. A lean Chinese manufacturer could probably do something similar for about $20k.

I think it's only a few years until we start seeing those prices.

Reactions: guidooo
It is bad form to put range numbers on different measuring systems in the same table.

Should be... Audi E-tron, 220 (est)
Taycan 225 (est)

Furthermore, Taycan is likely starting closer to $90k.
I rated you funny because I think you're making fun of the estimated range of the Taycan. Is there anything know about the Taycan's efficiency yet?

Even if they would share the same powertrain (which I don't think), I don't think the eTron's and Taycan's efficiency are similar.

I have long thought about whether non-Tesla cars are fundamentally much worse in efficiency or not. I think no. Look at these numbers (consumption in kWh/100km at 120km/h which is ~75mph):

Ioniq: 14.4
Model 3: 14.7
e-Golf: 15
Kona: 16.6
Leaf: 17.1
Zoe: 17.3
Model S: 25?
Model X: ??
e-tron: 35?

The Hyundais seem to have an efficient powertrain. The Jaguar (unfortunately I don't have a number) is said to have very bad efficiency.

I believe the e-tron just has bad aerodynamics and a large frontal area, probably in addition to an inefficient powertrain. The Taycan will certainly have a smaller frontal area and better Cd value, which alone will make it's consumption much better.

I do believe it's range will be not great: They're avoiding the topic so far, preferring to talk about charging speed.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I rated you funny because I think you're making fun of the estimated range of the Taycan. Is there anything know about the Taycan's efficiency yet?

Even if they would share the same powertrain (which I don't think), I don't think the eTron's and Taycan's efficiency are similar.

I have long thought about whether non-Tesla cars are fundamentally much worse in efficiency or not. I think no. Look at these numbers (consumption in kWh/100km at 120km/h which is ~75mph):

Ioniq: 14.4
Model 3: 14.7
e-Golf: 15
Kona: 16.6
Leaf: 17.1
Zoe: 17.3
Model S: 25?
Model X: ??
e-tron: 35?

The Hyundais seem to have an efficient powertrain. The Jaguar (unfortunately I don't have a number) is said to have very bad efficiency.

I believe the e-tron just has bad aerodynamics and a large frontal area, probably in addition to an inefficient powertrain. The Taycan will certainly have a smaller frontal area and better Cd value, which alone will make it's consumption much better.

I do believe it's range will be not great: They're avoiding the topic so far, preferring to talk about charging speed.

Most of the cars on that list are a fair bit smaller than any of Tesla's offerings. In the US the EPA comes up with efficiencies that are obtainable if you're careful. I can get EPA range with my S 90D during warmer parts of the year.

They have tested the i-Pace, but not the eTron or Taycan.

Compare Side-by-Side

• Informative
Reactions: jbih