Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this is true, does this mark the first time an existing production car makes the switch from ICE to BEV?

Given that they're doing it during the regular product refresh, it's almost more that the name is transitioning than anything else, but I think it is the first.

(I'm expecting it to be mostly e-tron under the skin when it happens...)

Several EVs are built on platforms of existing ICE cars, several recent platforms were designed for multiple powertrain types, usually under the same name.

We need to look seriously at the Chinese competition for Tesla.

Kandi is moving into the US; their cars are all short-range, though they're working their way into the long-range market; I think they're moving into the US because they're getting outcompeted in China.

When BAIC moves into the US market, it will be a big deal. And I think it will happen.

I agree.

While the recent price cuts have caused quite a bit of teeth gnashing on this board, I was really happy with the move. My biggest worry for Tesla organizationally was that they wouldn't be willing to disrupt themselves, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. Very difficult decision to make, but it was the right one. They've chosen to compete.

I tried looking it up, but failed - does anyone know the relative size of the global(or even u.s.) auto-market by price segment?

I agree.

While the recent price cuts have caused quite a bit of teeth gnashing on this board, I was really happy with the move. My biggest worry for Tesla organizationally was that they wouldn't be willing to disrupt themselves, but that hasn't turned out to be the case. Very difficult decision to make, but it was the right one. They've chosen to compete.

I tried looking it up, but failed - does anyone know the relative size of the global(or even u.s.) auto-market by price segment?

I thought I had come across something before, but can't find it now. There is this which requires some digging to get all the data you want together:
US car sales data by segment - Left-Lane.com

There are some other sites with similar data buried in multiple articles.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Tim
Any news about the Tesla Bus that Musk announced in Master Plan, Part Deux?

In addition to consumer vehicles, there are two other types of electric vehicle needed: heavy-duty trucks and high passenger-density urban transport. Both are in the early stages of development at Tesla and should be ready for unveiling next year.

Could it be the "one more thing" of the Model Y/Truck unveil?

I'm asking because Alstom is getting orders for the Aptis and I'd love Tesla to do something for overground public transportation

Aptis: a new experience of electro-mobility

• 6 hours of autonomy in operation
  • low-floor throughout the entire length of the vehicle
  • panoramic view
  • four steerable wheels
  • 95 passenger capacity
  • 12 meters in length
I live in a big European city where people suffocate in mopped and diesel buses' fumes. We need electric mass transit options *now* and I can't wait for Tesla to accelerate the transition. My city is all talk about getting electric buses so far, and half a million people die of air pollution every ****ing year in Europe...

Last edited:
FWIW, i would place alibaba and baidu as Tesla's prime future competitors.
Breakdown of self-driving car industry in China

upload_2019-3-19_21-35-12.png

the obvious small carmakers are Nio and xpeng, but somehow I feel that baidu's open alliance for autonomous vehicles reminds me of google's android...

PSA Group (Peugeot, Citroen, DS, Opel, and Vauxhall) will only develop autonomous driving up to level 3 for private vehicles: Premiers coups de frein sur la voiture autonome

They can't afford it. I guess they just realize they'll have to pay for the transition to BEV…
the mayors of Paris and London have promised to ban private ownership of autonomous EVs.
Paris deputy mayor questions London's approach to public space

"In say 2025 you will have mayors, not only in Paris, that we don't want to have privately owned vehicles in the city. They will be forbidden. The idea is not to get rid of all vehicles, but making sure that what we call 'zombie cars' [autonomous vehicles with nobody inside] are not driving in Paris."

pretty good motivation to not develop, if your main markets will simply ban it.

"Today a car is driving during five per cent of its life and parking during 95 per cent of its life," he said. "So if you keep the same system of people owning autonomous vehicles, it's totally crazy. We will have autonomous vehicles empty 95 per cent of the time. So you need a total revolution of the way vehicles are sold."

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Paris is not a market for cars already. No one drives a private car here.

PS: I've been living and working there for years. We take the metro, the bus, a bike (private or Vélib'), some ride Ubers, some kills their neighbors with mopeds, but we don't casually drive in cars except a few old, rich people (who don't make a market anyway).

Reactions: renim and neroden
BMW to launch i2 EV on joint platform with Daimler, report says

BMW-Daimler are merging all their efforts in
What will be left of the "independent" companies by 2025?

Why don't they merge already?

Would the UE blocks the operation? Or does the management need more time to convince the labor unions?

• Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G
The buyer is Myongshin (sometimes spelled Myoungshin). From searching they are best known for making controls for arcade games. There is a lot of talk on forums about a Fanta joystick from Myongshin. The car parts they make may be some kind of user controls in the cabin, or possibly some control part down in the guts of the car somewhere.

I've been predicting that other electronic manufacturers with some machine manufacturing experience might jump into the EV market within the next decade and between Tesla and these new players, the traditional car makers will be pushed to the edge of extinction.

I started suspecting LG Chem was planning on this when they made the killer deal with GM to make most of the Bolt. It looks to me like a move for a company to round out its expertise making cars on someone elses dime before jumping in themselves. Myongshin might be partnered with other South Korean companies to make cars in that plant. From what I can see in a quick search Myongshin itself seems a bit small to be making cars by itself.

Just saw this, Myongshin is part of a consortium:
General Motors Sells South Korean Plant to EV Maker | TheDetroitBureau.com