Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Build Quality Video du jour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is already being discussed, but an auto detailer did a TikTok video review of Tesla build quality that's gone viral today. I was wondering how real these concerns are or how this squares with Tesla's current quality levels. I don't know that I'd notice or care about minor variations in panel gap, but things like the loose panels she rocks back and forth on the window casing would be concerning. I've had my heart set on a Y for a while now and am finally in a position to think about buying one in the next 4-8 months. But after watching this it kind of feels like a mistake.

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I said what I thought about basically "anything" on tiktok, in another thread. I will link it here since you ask for "thoughts?"
Also, OP, of all the online places that have information on stuff, tesla or otherwise, TickTok is probably near the bottom of the list as far as "accurate info".

Yes, TickTok is near the bottom, but Facebook is as low as you can go. So many lies there. So much misinformation, and not just about Teslas either

Regardless of what ones opinion is on this stuff, getting opinions from tiktok, which exists basically just to give bite sized video content for people who have short attention spans, is not something I would ever pay any attention to.

You have been on TMC since 2016, so this will not be the first time you have heard anything about tesla build quality questions, whether you are a current owner or not. How you choose to get your information is up to you, but for me "tiktok" is not relevant in the slightest.

and am finally in a position to think about buying one in the next 4-8 months. But after watching this it kind of feels like a mistake.

"buying one" in the next 4-8 months, or getting your hands on one in that time frame?

If it's the former, then good luck and I hope they don't go up another $1,000

If it's the latter, then probably best to get your order in today!

I've recently come to the conclusion that this car isn't a collectible art piece but rather a replaceable electronic device more akin to an iPhone you get rid of once it's obsolete. A lot of cars have build quality issues and as long as mine isn't rattling/squeaking/falling apart while continuing to drive well, the build quality stuff is very easy to overlook. I've had multiple mobile visits for small issues since delivery several weeks ago and just having the mobile service makes it significantly better than having to wait in a dealership. I never even met the tech while he worked on the car in the parking lot where I work.

Regardless of what ones opinion is on this stuff, getting opinions from tiktok, which exists basically just to give bite sized video content for people who have short attention spans, is not something I would ever pay any attention to.

You have been on TMC since 2016, so this will not be the first time you have heard anything about tesla build quality questions, whether you are a current owner or not. How you choose to get your information is up to you, but for me "tiktok" is not relevant in the slightest.

Well, that's fine. I'm not suggesting getting news from there. But whether that particular video is posted on TikTok or CNN, it's still clearly documenting issues that range in my mind from "who cares" to "yikes". If I'm spending $60k on a car I expect a $60k car.

"buying one" in the next 4-8 months, or getting your hands on one in that time frame?

If it's the former, then good luck and I hope they don't go up another $1,000

If it's the latter, then probably best to get your order in today!

Heh, fair point. I'd buy one now but we are moving into a condo next month and I need to get with the condo board to either approve me putting in a wall connector or put in a charging solution for the whole building. Once that's done, I'll see if I get on a project at work where I need to be driving somewhere. If both of those happen then I will buy a new car. I don't want to buy a Tesla now and then find out I can't put charging in, or I get staffed on a project where I can just take the train downtown to get to work.

I've recently come to the conclusion that this car isn't a collectible art piece but rather a replaceable electronic device more akin to an iPhone you get rid of once it's obsolete. A lot of cars have build quality issues and as long as mine isn't rattling/squeaking/falling apart while continuing to drive well, the build quality stuff is very easy to overlook. I've had multiple mobile visits for small issues since delivery several weeks ago and just having the mobile service makes it significantly better than having to wait in a dealership. I never even met the tech while he worked on the car in the parking lot where I work.
Yeah, I'm trying to get myself there but it's hard. Our current car is a 2015 Honda CR-V and it is...fine. It certainly has some quality issues (like a rough idle that my adorable husband did not get fixed when the car was under warranty). But other than that it has not had any issues. I suppose the things that set me off in the video were the loose door housing around the window and the fact that they can't even bother to align the steering wheel. I don't think of it as a collectible art piece, but it is a lot more than a disposable piece of electronics. I intend to keep it for 5-7 years.

And of course my dad keeps hounding me to wait because "electric cars are getting better day by day" (true) and "once the big car makers get into the EV game it will be game over for Tesla" (maybe).

Well, I could do a TikTok for you that would show a basically perfect Model Y with 500 miles on it. At first I thought it had a tire vibration, but it was the road surface.

All panel gaps are great. Super quiet, tight car, smooooooth as butter, oh man, I had no idea how smooth a car could be.

As for a $60k car: I don't look at it that way. It's cheaper to own for 8 years than a brand new Outback 6 cylinder, the equivalent was about $38k out the door, plus oil and gas and maintenance for 8 years is insane.

So I'm calling it an average $35k car that I paid for fuel and maintenance up front. Helps keep me grounded. This is not a piece of jewelry.

I don't want to buy a Tesla now and then find out I can't put charging in, or I get staffed on a project where I can just take the train downtown to get to work.

You might consider buying it anyway, then when it finally gets delivered, if you don't want it, sell it ... maybe even at a profit!

And of course my dad keeps hounding me to wait because "electric cars are getting better day by day" (true) and "once the big car makers get into the EV game it will be game over for Tesla" (maybe).

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

The old fashioned car makers will never "get into" the EV market. They will (are) finally be dragged kicking and screaming into it, then pretend they were at the forefront all along

This car is a "luxury" item, meaning it's not a necessity. Your CRV can serve the same purpose and so can a Toyota Prius/RAV4 Prime at a lower price point. The sooner you get it the more time you will have to enjoy it. For a point of reference, my wife after one drive in the Model Y, wants to get rid of her 1 year old Mercedes and take my Model Y.

Reactions: cusetownusa
This car is a "luxury" item, meaning it's not a necessity. Your CRV can serve the same purpose and so can a Toyota Prius/RAV4 Prime at a lower price point. The sooner you get it the more time you will have to enjoy it. For a point of reference, my wife after one drive in the Model Y, wants to get rid of her 1 year old Mercedes and take my Model Y.

On that same note - as I shopped for a fresh car, my first stop was at the toyota dealer, considering their RAV4 Prime with the substantial plug-in range plus a conventional gas motor. It had a nice drivetrain, the rest of the car was built to $30k quality standards (which is what a base RAV4 would cost). The shock was when the dealer asked for $65k for the Prime. What? Yep, $55k list, and a $10k markup because "chip shortages, limited supplies".

This made the decision to go with a Model Y Tesla trivial. Yes, the Tesla is essentially a $100k electric drivetrain in a modern-styled $30k car, but it's just awesome to drive, you get access to the supercharger network, they hold their value really really well, and Tesla is asking $0.00 over MSRP.

Reactions: OxBrew
One thing to consider, while fretting over that video: the car featured is a not-current Model 3 (chrome trim, vs current black trim). Not really a direct comparison to Model Y units rolling off the assembly line today.

It is true that waiting will likely get you a better car. The one in the video had chrome which was dropped over a year ago. Build quality and features have both incrementally improved since then. Likely another year will bring another 5-10% range improvement too.

As to the big companies, the closest right now is Ford. They plan to produce literally hundreds of thousands of EVs per year by 2025. Tesla is already close to 1 million per year at their current run rate and is growing fast.

The days of Tesla not being one of "the big car makers" are nearly over.