Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla called and needs to replace my battery ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick backstory- I’ve had my Model 3 for 2.5 months now. I received a voicemail from my service center and this was the transcript word for word (copy/pasted from my iPhone). Has anyone heard of this happening before? I’m honestly a bit concerned.

“Hello this is ____ calling from Tesla Portland it's about 1:15 on Thursday I wanted to let you know that uh we have a smart alert program that we're constantly reviewing. It flagged your battery as potentially having an issue so we'd like to get you scheduled. We have a battery here that would like to swap with the one in your vehicle if you wouldn't mind giving us a call to set up an appointment” ...(the voicemail continues from here with the typical wrap-up)

Quick backstory- I’ve had my Model 3 for 2.5 months now. I received a voicemail from my service center and this was the transcript word for word (copy/pasted from my iPhone). Has anyone heard of this happening before? I’m honestly a bit concerned.
I would be concerned if they flagged your battery as potentially having issues and did not call you and replace it for free...

I would be concerned if they flagged you battery as potentially having issues and did not call you and replace it for free...
And I would be disappointed if they waited for your car to break, call them, and have to bring it in before knowing the battery has an issue.

It sucks that you’ve got a problem but this is virtually telepathic automotive service and that’s unheard of in the industry.

I would be concerned if they flagged you battery as potentially having issues and did not call you and replace it for free...

My thoughts, exactly. I'm glad to see that they are being proactive, and not let something horrible happen to you like other companies that know of things potentially happening (e.g. exploding air bags, transmissions engaging while in park, etc.)

I think when they say “issue” they just mean they don’t want to risk you suddenly having a fault while driving that reduces power, disabled the car, or restricts your charging while you are on a trip. Call them back for details.

I’m guessing your mind jumped to a sensationalized inferno of some sort?

I asked what was flagged specifically and they said they don’t have any transparency into that. He told me that the engineers from California are occasionally monitoring all batteries on the road and they call the local service center if they notice one that needs to be replaced. So the service center doesn’t know- all they know is that they were told to swap it out.

I just haven’t heard of anyone else getting this call before. Can someone tell me it’s happened before to them?

• Informative
Reactions: James K
Were it me, I'd immediately contact them by looking up the phone number online (i.e., not blindly calling the number included with the voicemail) and asking for confirmation. Then I'd make sure that I park the car far away from anything.
I'd put a birthday cake with tens of unlit candles next to the thermal runaway vents ;)

This is nothing new. In 2014 I got a call from Tesla saying the 12V battery in my late 2013 Model S needed to be replaced. The voltage level had dropped below the acceptable range and that caused an alert to be sent to Tesla Service. They came out and replaced the battery at my house. At that time Tesla had gotten a bad batch of 12V batteries that didn’t last. They replaced them all.

You will just have to get used to the idea of owning a car that sometimes can diagnose a problem and alert Tesla Service before you even know there is a problem. :p

“Hello this is ____ calling from Tesla Portland it's about 1:15 on Thursday I wanted to let you know that uh we have a smart alert program that we're constantly reviewing. It flagged your battery as potentially having an issue so we'd like to get you scheduled. We have a battery here that would like to swap with the one in your vehicle if you wouldn't mind giving us a call to set up an appointment” ...(the voicemail continues from here with the typical wrap-up)

This is nothing new. In 2014 I got a call from Tesla saying the 12V battery in my late 2013 Model S needed to be replaced. The voltage level had dropped below the acceptable range and that caused an alert to be sent to Tesla Service. They came out and replaced the battery at my house. At that time Tesla had gotten a bad batch of 12V batteries that didn’t last. They replaced them all.

You will just have to get used to the idea of owning a car that sometimes can diagnose a problem and alert Tesla Service before you even know there is a problem. :p

It’s definitely an adjustment. Very good to know, thank you!

Why are you concerned? They identified a problem proactively and will work on resolving the issue. If anything, you should feel safer because they'll ensure the battery is 100% perfect after installation.

The more I think about it the better I feel, you are correct. Also, I have put over 6k miles on this battery in only 10 weeks, it’ll be nice to have a fresh one

am I the only one who`d be incredibly interested in tesla`s internal statistics about the failure rates of various parts, especiall drivetrain components.
Stuff like this makes me think how often break-downs get averted by an early call of the monitoring program and hence never show up in any official defect-statistics.