Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla canceling my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MrSlowEv @afadeev <- LOL, I see the haters already.
It's not like Telsa has 32 trims and 10 different interior colors. Pretty easy to see the price difference.
You signed, you paid, you agreed to the terms. Not sure why the whine ? By the looks of it, he check all the boxes online, not at the SC. Where is the Tesla fault here? You entered a contract the second you clicked submit !
PS: LOL'ing on how the OP pays $2000 for red on a $45.000 car, but suddenly a $250 mistake is a tragedy.

The OP did make an error. But I believe in good customer service and that Tesla should help them sort out their issue.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, lol. Peel back the curtains behind the fancy showrooms of any legacy auto dealership and what you see will horrify anyone. I sold Lexus for a stint and shafting customers was considered a sport

Having said that, I agree that Tesla should have procedures in place to help people like the OP

Not in my experience. Years ago, I placed a factory order for a specific Ford Mustang. I gave the dealership a $1,000 deposit. Ten weeks later when the car was delivered to the dealership, I changed my mind and decided not to purchase the car. Without even asking, the dealership cut me a check for $1,000 to refund my deposit. That's just one example, but it's the only time I've ever been in a situation like that.

Not in my experience. Years ago, I placed a factory order for a specific Ford Mustang. I gave the dealership a $1,000 deposit. Ten weeks later when the car was delivered to the dealership, I changed my mind and decided not to purchase the car. Without even asking, the dealership cut me a check for $1,000 to refund my deposit. That's just one example, but it's the only time I've ever been in a situation like that.

The dealership had to (deposits are refundable if the purchase isnt consumated). Thats why tesla is very very careful to call this a $250 order fee, not a deposit, and include specific language in the MVPA about how they incur costs when you place an order and thus feel that fee is earned whether you purchase or not.

A traditional dealer wont bother anyone about an ordered car not being purchased, unless the person ordered it in some really strange set of colors or some or options that makes it very difficult for them to sell.

A popular car ordered in a normal (or normal ish) color? easy to sell, regular dealaerships dont have order fees (they have deposits) and its a legal fight to keep a deposit (but not an order fee).

Yeah, dealers never give money back unless there's an immediate and greater financial benefit. They most likely had other buyers already lined up and willing to pay more for the same car. What did you end up getting?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Years ago, I placed a factory order for a specific Ford Mustang. I gave the dealership a $1,000 deposit. Ten weeks later when the car was delivered to the dealership, I changed my mind and decided not to purchase the car. Without even asking, the dealership cut me a check for $1,000 to refund my deposit. That's just one example, but it's the only time I've ever been in a situation like that.

Wait, what are you really saying?
That a service organization that is not owned by the manufacturer of goods its selling might care about its customers and side with them (e.g.: a car dealer)?
vs. an organization that is owned by a good manufacturer would blindly follow said manufacturer's greedy rules and policies, regardless of impact on customer relations (e.g.: Tesla-owned SC)?
images

A traditional dealer wont bother anyone about an ordered car not being purchased, unless the person ordered it in some really strange set of colors or some or options that makes it very difficult for them to sell.
A popular car ordered in a normal (or normal ish) color? easy to sell, regular dealaerships dont have order fees (they have deposits) and its a legal fight to keep a deposit (but not an order fee).

Same logic applies to Tesla, 100%.
Not sure why yo'all are making excuses for Tesla, while looking down on other OEMs.

Yeah, dealers never give money back unless there's an immediate and greater financial benefit. They most likely had other buyers already lined up and willing to pay more for the same car. What did you end up getting?

I think that depends on state laws. Here in Texas, dealers absolutely can not keep a deposit if you don't take delivery of the car regardless of any documents signed. So they may drag their feet, but you are getting your deposit back. Which is probably why Tesla switched from a deposit to a non-refundable, not-applied-to-the-purchase order fee. I have tested this out more than one time, and every time I got my deposit back.

When I privately sell a car, I tell potential buyers that I do not do deposits and it's the first person with the money to show up that gets the car. I explain to them that there is no way I am keeping their deposit if they back out, so deposits are a waste of time for everyone.

• Informative
Same logic applies to Tesla, 100%.
Not sure why yo'all are making excuses for Tesla, while looking down on other OEMs.

It actually doesnt, because its not a deposit, its an order fee. Im not making excuses, I am simply saying what tesla calls the $250, and the language they have around it.

It actually doesnt, because its not a deposit, its an order fee. Im not making excuses, I am simply saying what tesla calls the $250, and the language they have around it.
While it's effectively a way for Tesla to get an extra $250 for the car, the fact that they call it a fee means that it doesn't get included in the total when calculating the car's purchase price for tax credit purposes. I ordered an M3P in MSM, so $53,990 + $1,000 = $54,990. $250 more would have put it over the limit for claiming the tax credit. :)

I'm sure there is a lawyer somewhere in the bowels of Tesla HQ rubbing his palms in glee and giggling silly: "We'll call it a fee, not a deposit, you see. The fools will never know what hit them!"

For the rest of us, Tesla owners, it's money out of our picket. Full stop.
Call it a fee (BTDT), call it a refundable deposit (BTDT), call it a non-refundable deposit (BTDT), call it a donation, or call it a voluntary contribution to Elon's retirement fund.

Regardless of what you call it, the OP's point was that he found himself cornered to either loose that $250, or accept delivery of a car with wrong interior color. And whether that's right, or not, and what to do about it.
I'm not sure yow yo'all decided to side-track this discussion into a legalistic debate on the name for that $250 charge.

Last edited:

I can see your point, but it's borderline semantics. I mean, legally it does make sense, But Tesla shouldn't be so rigid as to not take care of customers for something as silly as the OP described in this thread. In my opinion, that can do more harm than good to the company. Seems silly, but people get turned off to companies for lesser things....

I ended up getting an Audi. The Mustang I ordered sat on their lot for quite a while before it finally disappeared. I know that because I pass the dealership every day on my way to work and they had it out front. The car was a manual transmission and there seems to be fewer buyers. Then again, the Audi I purchased was also manual transmission and they don't even make Audi manuals anymore, at least not in the U.S.

• Informative
I ended up getting an Audi. The Mustang I ordered sat on their lot for quite a while before it finally disappeared. I know that because I pass the dealership every day on my way to work and they had it out front. The car was a manual transmission and there seems to be fewer buyers. Then again, the Audi I purchased was also manual transmission and they don't even make Audi manuals anymore, at least not in the U.S.
Nice. Can't go wrong with an Audi. Good luck with it!

FWIW a family member has a Model Y on order and had no end of difficulties with the online folks regarding some details requested by the app; the "fix" was to ignore everything said by the various online contacts and go to the nearby delivery/service center and talk to a live human. It took a week or so but that person was able to get around the apparent inability of anyone to make required accounts changes and the issue is resolved. Car is schedule for March4 - March 31 delivery (which is pretty much what it said on initial order)

Might be worth a try, good luck

Tesla doesn’t care. They know we jumped on the bandwagon. If you want electric vehicle, they know they are the only option and we all will get on our knees and beg for grace.

Until EV cars from other manufacturers are being delivered, they will sell us sub par quality cars for $55k +, but look on the plus side, it’s an EV…

I have a model y, no autopilot. Paid $55k for it. If it was a ICE vehicle, IMHO, it’s about a 40-45k car.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
Tesla doesn’t care. They know we jumped on the bandwagon. If you want electric vehicle, they know they are the only option and we all will get on our knees and beg for grace.

Until EV cars from other manufacturers are being delivered, they will sell us sub par quality cars for $55k +, but look on the plus side, it’s an EV…

I have a model y, no autopilot. Paid $55k for it. If it was a ICE vehicle, IMHO, it’s about a 40-45k car.
Every Model Y made has come with autopilot.

You definitely (100000000%) have autopilot, as according to you in another thread, you took delivery in the last week or so of a model Y. As mentioned, every single model Y ever made in the US has autopilot, so you could not have one without it.

Blue/white. Ordered our about 2 weeks after new years when the price dropped to $52500 and tax credit came out. Got ours last Saturday, 2/18.

Perhaps you dont have FSD since thats a separate purchase, but you have autopilot.

Reactions: Pkmmte