Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla canceling my order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to pick up my new red Model 3 this past weekend. However it had a rock chip on the hood and I was told the hood would need to be repainted. So I declined delivery and they put my order on hold.
Just yesterday I saw they had another red Model 3 in inventory so I took my order off hold and selected that vehicle. Well stupid me didn’t notice that it had white interior and I wanted a black interior car. I immediately texted Tesla and was told that they cannot remove that vin from my profile and if they do it will auto cancel my order and I will lose my $250 order fee. WTF?
Someone tell me again why am I putting myself through this horrible customer service?

I went to pick up my new red Model 3 this past weekend. However it had a rock chip on the hood and I was told the hood would need to be repainted. So I declined delivery and they put my order on hold.
Just yesterday I saw they had another red Model 3 in inventory so I took my order off hold and selected that vehicle. Well stupid me didn’t notice that it had white interior and I wanted a black interior car. I immediately texted Tesla and was told that they cannot remove that vin from my profile and if they do it will auto cancel my order and I will lose my $250 order fee. WTF?
Someone tell me again why am I putting myself through this horrible customer service?

I agree that is crappy customer service. You obviously made a simple error and tried to get it corrected right away. No other car manufacturer would take your money like that for making an honest mistake. I guess that's Tesla for you....

You've neglected to read the "infallibility" clause in the purchase contract – Tesla demands that the customer make no mistake and have a complete working knowledge of their arcane and undocumented purchase process.
As the "Tesla" person amongst my friends, having purchased 3 Teslas and helped several people, I still find the process as if designed to be offensively one-sided. The abrupt changes in delivery window, the incessant automated messages, the inflexible logistics, unreliable initial build quality, and "take it or leave it" delivery with no test drive … more than a few times, especially in 2022, friends just said "keep the $250" and it has proven to be the shrewd decision. (btw. in my experience, saying "no thanks" does not result in a cancelled order, just repeated threats of cancelling the order. My Model Y 4680 order is still sitting there. I'm just waiting to see what Tesla announces for 2023 on March 1st.)
Tesla really needs to focus on quality and service, not just price and promises.

I agree that is crappy customer service. You obviously made a simple error and tried to get it corrected right away. No other car manufacturer would take your money like that for making an honest mistake. I guess that's Tesla for you....
I wouldn't be too sure about that, lol. Peel back the curtains behind the fancy showrooms of any legacy auto dealership and what you see will horrify anyone. I sold Lexus for a stint and shafting customers was considered a sport

Having said that, I agree that Tesla should have procedures in place to help people like the OP

Easy to buy a seat cover and install black. Costs less than the cancellation fee.

Thats kind of beside the point for what should be a simple change for someone at a showroom to make for the OP though. Yes, self inflicted, however the change they are asking for seems reasonable so it feels like there is something else going on here.

I have no idea what that "something else" is.... clueless new employee at tesla who doesnt know (or have IT rights) to change something and doesnt want to escalate? .... Some other stipulation put on the OPs order for some reason because of interactions? Tesla District the OP is ordering from having too many "decline this orders" and cracking down? I have no idea. It just seems like a reasonable request from this OP on its face, so it feels like there must be some extenuating circumstance here.

Thats kind of beside the point for what should be a simple change for someone at a showroom to make for the OP though. Yes, self inflicted, however the change they are asking for seems reasonable so it feels like there is something else going on here.

I have no idea what that "something else" is.... clueless new employee at tesla who doesnt know (or have IT rights) to change something and doesnt want to escalate? .... Some other stipulation put on the OPs order for some reason because of interactions? Tesla District the OP is ordering from having too many "decline this orders" and cracking down? I have no idea. It just seems like a reasonable request from this OP on its face, so it feels like there must be some extenuating circumstance here.
Agreed, but might save you a headache fighting them.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, lol. Peel back the curtains behind the fancy showrooms of any legacy auto dealership and what you see will horrify anyone. I sold Lexus for a stint and shafting customers was considered a sport

Having said that, I agree that Tesla should have procedures in place to help people like the OP
That’s what I was thinking. Fair that this seems pretty silly for Tesla to openly lose a customer over what is surely a few button clicks.

But, this country is full of car salesman who will happily look you in the eye, shake your hand, and trick you out of $10,000 so they can buy tickets to Disney.

Reactions: WyoDude
It would seem that OP doesn't want to cancel, just wants a black interior. Just tell SA that is what you wanted, not to cancel and see if a vin with black can be found. If OP shows that they aren't just playing games to delay further or trying to cancel order in a roundabout way while avoiding the fee, then I think the request should be able to be accommodated.

Reactions: DocHolliday
@MrSlowEv @afadeev <- LOL, I see the haters already.
It's not like Telsa has 32 trims and 10 different interior colors. Pretty easy to see the price difference.
You signed, you paid, you agreed to the terms. Not sure why the whine ? By the looks of it, he check all the boxes online, not at the SC. Where is the Tesla fault here? You entered a contract the second you clicked submit !
PS: LOL'ing on how the OP pays $2000 for red on a $45.000 car, but suddenly a $250 mistake is a tragedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ratch and afadeev
@MrSlowEv @afadeev <- LOL, I see the haters already.

LOL, nice try.

You signed, you paid, you agreed to the terms. Not sure why the whine ? By the looks of it, he check all the boxes online, not at the SC. Where is the Tesla fault here? You entered a contract the second you clicked submit !

There are no contractual obligations incurred by filling out a web form. None.
Anyone can overlook a word in a description on a bling-y web site.
Helping a buyer get exactly what he wants would be a natural course of action for any company that values its customers. An average Tesla SC just doesn't make the grade, and few are trying.

If you are still up for trying to buy a Tesla, consider going to one of the stores in person (maybe a different SC?), and asking a rep to help you out.
Don't bother calling or texting - most SCs don't have external phone lines, and the rep whom you've been texting clearly doesn't want to help.
See if you can find another one, in person!

PS: LOL'ing on how the OP pays $2000 for red on a $45.000 car, but suddenly a $250 mistake is a tragedy.

No need to be a **** to a fellow perspective Tesla owner who just wants to get his order right.

Last edited by a moderator:
@afadeev
see the tesla website when ordering a vehicle, it specifies non-refundable order deposit

1675356796551.png

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056