Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancels contract with Model 3 supplier = delayed launch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The updated car will be called the Model T3 or in software update parlance, Model 3.132785479.
Um, 3.14159265358979323846, or thereabouts. I forget the rest :).

The contract cancellation, as I see it, is good news on two points. One, it shows that Tesla is seriously and actively monitoring their supply chain and weeding out any weak spots before they can become problems. Also, it delivers a very clear signal to the other suppliers that they are seriously and actively monitoring their performance, and that they had better deliver or succumb to the same fate. Together they give me an increased confidence that Tesla will meet their targets for this (2017) calendar year deliveries.

Tesla Confirms Cancellation Of Model 3 Supply Order Due To Supplier's Inability To Meet Technical Standards

Discuss. Can't be good news for Model 3 launch timing though. The Bolt's head start may have just grown.

Nobody is perfect, and one of Elon's very few faults is chrono-optimism. He expects things to happen on schedule, and they generally don't. I never expect Tesla to deliver a car on schedule. OTOH, one of Elon's strong points is his dedication to quality. I expect the Model 3 to come out six months to a year late, and I expect the car to be absolutely outstanding and well worth the wait. As much as I want mine NOW, I will wait as long as I must. (Of course, in the mean time I'm driving the most fun car I've ever driven, my 2.5 very orange non-sport Roadster.)

Reactions: 1 person
Back handed comments.... plenty of people on here do that to the Bolt without any prodding.

This is a serious issue for the Model 3. I don't think $100 million contracts are handed out like candy, and can be replaced simply with a trip to Suppliers R Us.

I hereby challenge you to a 1,500 mile Cannonball Run style race. Model 3 vs. Bolt.

And no, not just "road time"....charging time will be included.

Over a 1,500 mile journey, a Model 3 should beat a Bolt by....well....a day or so?

to charge a 60kWh pack from almost 0% every "238 miles" is going to be very time consuming.

• Funny
Reactions: Falkirk and MP3Mike
I hereby challenge you to a 1,500 mile Cannonball Run style race. Model 3 vs. Bolt.

And no, not just "road time"....charging time will be included.

Over a 1,500 mile journey, a Model 3 should beat a Bolt by....well....a day or so?

to charge a 60kWh pack from almost 0% every "238 miles" is going to be very time consuming.

Ready Set Go! Any EV sold today might win by about 11 months, best guess. But I'd beat all of them. I fly over flyover states.

Or I could use any gasoline or diesel vehicle in good enough shape to make the trip and win. Motorcycles can have a range as short as 100 miles, and they would STILL win.

But I assume you are pushing the race back a year. What will the CCS infrastructure and 2018 Bolt's range and DCFC ability be 1 year from now? It would be interesting no matter what.

Ready Set Go! Any EV sold today might win by about 11 months, best guess. But I'd beat all of them. I fly over flyover states.

Or I could use any gasoline or diesel vehicle in good enough shape to make the trip and win. Motorcycles can have a range as short as 100 miles, and they would STILL win.

But I assume you are pushing the race back a year. What will the CCS infrastructure and 2018 Bolt's range and DCFC ability be 1 year from now? It would be interesting no matter what.

Well, for one....you weren't challenged. Second, flying over flyover states is cool and all, but I'm in MA...and again, the race would be between 2 EVs, the Model 3 and the Bolt. So your plane, motorcycle, or diesel would disqualify you.

I want to hear the Bolt fanboy explain to me how a car with 238 miles of range that recharges at 7.2kW is going to make it "an interesting race" against a big-battery Model 3 that will likely recharge at or above 120kW,

Tesla Confirms Cancellation Of Model 3 Supply Order Due To Supplier's Inability To Meet Technical Standards

Discuss. Can't be good news for Model 3 launch timing though. The Bolt's head start may have just grown.

I see this as a positive outcome. Basically, it shows that Tesla has the processes in place to rigorously manage supplier quality. There is absolutely no way Tesla would have made this decision if it did not affect the final product quality. I have a feeling the Model 3 will be top notch quality wise.

The comment about Bolt head start is irrelevant as it seems to indirectly suggest that the Bolt is a Model 3 alternative but it is not. Not even close.

Well, for one....you weren't challenged. Second, flying over flyover states is cool and all, but I'm in MA...and again, the race would be between 2 EVs, the Model 3 and the Bolt. So your plane, motorcycle, or diesel would disqualify you.

I want to hear the Bolt fanboy explain to me how a car with 238 miles of range that recharges at 7.2kW is going to make it "an interesting race" against a big-battery Model 3 that will likely recharge at or above 120kW,

Don't get your hopes up. 120kW for any length of time is going to require a much bigger battery than you will probably find in a $38k Model 3. You need a big battery with today's tech to allow high Miles per Minute charging rates.

The winner will probably be the MS 100D with 19" wheels.

• Disagree
Reactions: alseTrick
Rather then speculate on why ,who and when. Why not just make it a positive situation , as this shows me that Tesla is not going to compromise on their standard and further doesn't want a media mess on their hands in the future if they proceeded with some poor part failure just to hit a target date. Id rather get it perfect then rush to get to the market with a substandard component.

Reactions: Mark C
Don't get your hopes up. 120kW for any length of time is going to require a much bigger battery than you will probably find in a $38k Model 3. You need a big battery with today's tech to allow high Miles per Minute charging rates.

The winner will probably be the MS 100D with 19" wheels.
and there you go with your assumptions again.

Who ever said I was getting a $38K Model 3?

And not only are you assuming...you're interjecting.

The premise was simple....Model 3 vs Bolt.

The Model S wouldn't "win", because it's not invited. Simple concept, really. Take a knee....and a few deep breaths, and when you feel like you're ready to get back in the game, come on in, ok?

Reactions: 1 person
This is a serious issue for the Model 3. I don't think $100 million contracts are handed out like candy, and can be replaced simply with a trip to Suppliers R Us.

Serious issue? No, it isn't. It's for a pump for Pete's sake. There are LOTS of automotive suppliers that make pumps. And we are six months away from suppliers being asked to be ready for volume production. Plenty of time for another manufacturer to spin up.

Actually, this should help Model 3 procurement issues - it puts all the other suppliers on notice that Tesla will pull the plug if they don't perform.

Reactions: Mark C and EinSV
read above.

the premise was never to compare the Model S to anything. just stop. you're embarrassing yourself.

I received my a box from my bank in the mail, and it was full of Reality Checks.

Let me guess, you just have an ATM card and forgot the PIN?

I'll write you one. The big range EV a year from now will likely be a Tesla, but it won't be a Model 3.

The range of the 2018 Bolt or other mid priced EV's released for 2018 is totally unknown.

The status of the CCS and CHAdeMO flyover routes is unknown as is the miles per minute.

If I could go 300 miles in a $50k Model 3, then why would I seriously consider a Model S?

I received my a box from my bank in the mail, and it was full of Reality Checks.

Let me guess, you just have an ATM card and forgot the PIN?

I'll write you one. The big range EV a year from now will likely be a Tesla, but it won't be a Model 3.

The range of the 2018 Bolt or other mid priced EV's released for 2018 is totally unknown.

The status of the CCS and CHAdeMO flyover routes is unknown as is the miles per minute.

If I could go 300 miles in a $50k Model 3, then why would I seriously consider a Model S?

The ultimate reality check:

THE MODEL S AND THE BOLT AREN'T COMPETITORS. IT'S BOLT VS MODEL 3.

again....stop. we're not comparing S to 3 or Bolt. we're just not. different target demos.