Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla charging extension cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whatever you decide to do, have a licensed electrician do it for you.
Sounds like either an electrician, or someone who doesn't understand electricity.

Licensed electricians can screw it up, too. If you have experience and understanding, you can do it yourself.

I went to The Home Depot and bought the plug that fit my dryer outlet (actually my brother-in-law's outlet) and wired it to 25 feet of some 6-3 w/ ground on one end and a 14-50 outlet on the other. If you know how to wire a 110 volt outlet, it's about the same, only bigger wire, and you just have to make sure the connections are tight and the wires connect to the same pin or hole in both. It's not hard, and you don't have to be an electrician to figure it out.

I built mine several Teslas ago when there were few superchargers and lots of RV parks with 50 amp outlets. I used it on several long road trips for charging, and the drag was that RV outlets take forever to fill a Tesla. And a few times I was charged $10 to charge.

And if you wire it up wrong, well, that's what circuit breakers were made for. Try not to look at the connection when you plug it in, because an arc is AWFUL bright!

Sounds like either an electrician, or someone who doesn't understand electricity.

Licensed electricians can screw it up, too. If you have experience and understanding, you can do it yourself.

I went to The Home Depot and bought the plug that fit my dryer outlet (actually my brother-in-law's outlet) and wired it to 25 feet of some 6-3 w/ ground on one end and a 14-50 outlet on the other. If you know how to wire a 110 volt outlet, it's about the same, only bigger wire, and you just have to make sure the connections are tight and the wires connect to the same pin or hole in both. It's not hard, and you don't have to be an electrician to figure it out.

I built mine several Teslas ago when there were few superchargers and lots of RV parks with 50 amp outlets. I used it on several long road trips for charging, and the drag was that RV outlets take forever to fill a Tesla. And a few times I was charged $10 to charge.

And if you wire it up wrong, well, that's what circuit breakers were made for. Try not to look at the connection when you plug it in, because an arc is AWFUL bright!
Wrong. I am not a licensed electrician, and I do have a better than average understanding of electricity. BUT, I would not trust myself, or the average homeowner to install a 240 volt, 50 amp line. Frankly, I just didn't feel safe about opening up a circuit box and installing a new 50 amp breaker, then running the cable to the exterior of the house where the plug needed to be; and that required drilling a hole thru the 12x12 oak sill on my 137 year old house. Also, in Massachusetts, where I live, this kind of work MUST be performed by a licensed electrician. Having said that, yes the electrician did make a mistake, but he caught it and fixed it before the 240v plug went hot. And the cost? $225. Sure beats burning down the house.