Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Least expensive charging option better than 110

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know why you both got on a Romex kick. I was just saying that home charging at 3.6 kw (15a/240v) works well under normal circumstances for me.
Not sure about the electricians in your area, but in my area they all prefer to use Romex for the Tesla Wall Connector installs. I almost came to blows with my guy when he was going to use 6 gauge romex for my 60 amp run. I made him go get 4 gauge romex and use that. Before he left after he was done he said that’s a waste of money…… some guys just don’t get the continuous EV charging issues I guess.

IF the 120v outlet is dedicated, and there is nothing else on the circuit, you can convert it to 240v. You will need to replace the outlet with a NEMA 6-15 outlet, purhcase the Tesla 6-15 adapter and replace the single-pole breaker with a dual-pole 15A GFIC breaker. This wiill more than double the charging speed.

If the existing breaker is 20A instead of 15A, just use a 6-20 outlet, adapter and 20A GFIC breaker.
I have exactly this…works great and cost almost nothing for install.

I've learned in the last couple days that electricians here are booked 6 months out. So far none of the 3 contractors I've contacted have returned the call. The other complication is this house was not built by a contractor and was not inspected as is common in rural parts of the Live-Free-Or-Die state. What that means is that I can't trust the wiring to the 120v, 20A outlet I found. I can't trust the integrity of the dryer outlet or the oven outlet. I've been watching videos and have seen the melting of "big box" 14-30 outlets (same risk with 14-50 ??).

I think my best bet might be to make sure the 20A outlet wiring is correctly rated (which I need to find out how to do) and go with that outlet for now. It's closest to the driveway. I still need an extension cord. Or use 15A, 120v with extension cord and go back to plan A and use whatever public charger I can find. At least I wouldn't need to spend $ on a 5-20 adapter.

The other issue is weather - I'm assuming all connections need to be protected from water (except the direct plug into the car which must surely be weather proof). My Model S is in a garage in San Diego. So the NH adventure is just that.

I've learned in the last couple days that electricians here are booked 6 months out. So far none of the 3 contractors I've contacted have returned the call. The other complication is this house was not built by a contractor and was not inspected as is common in rural parts of the Live-Free-Or-Die state. What that means is that I can't trust the wiring to the 120v, 20A outlet I found. I can't trust the integrity of the dryer outlet or the oven outlet. I've been watching videos and have seen the melting of "big box" 14-30 outlets (same risk with 14-50 ??).

I think my best bet might be to make sure the 20A outlet wiring is correctly rated (which I need to find out how to do) and go with that outlet for now. It's closest to the driveway. I still need an extension cord. Or use 15A, 120v with extension cord and go back to plan A and use whatever public charger I can find. At least I wouldn't need to spend $ on a 5-20 adapter.

The other issue is weather - I'm assuming all connections need to be protected from water (except the direct plug into the car which must surely be weather proof). My Model S is in a garage in San Diego. So the NH adventure is just that.
All you really need to do is check the gauge and material of the wire if you don’t trust the original install. Past that point, converting the plug to 240v should be relatively trivial for an electrician since you won’t have to run new wire.

All you really need to do is check the gauge and material of the wire if you don’t trust the original install. Past that point, converting the plug to 240v should be relatively trivial for an electrician since you won’t have to run new wire.
Yes, that I'll do. I think "electricians booked 6 months out" was optimistic. None have even returned my calls. Getting to be a dire situation for me regarding charging this car.

Yes, that I'll do. I think "electricians booked 6 months out" was optimistic. None have even returned my calls. Getting to be a dire situation for me regarding charging this car.
Just run an extension cord to your dryer outlet! Easy temporary solution. I also use it at AirBNBs and the in-laws on occasion, so it can come in handy to have the cord around when needed too.
50 amp extension cord. You'll need a 6-50 adapter on the car side and a dryer outlet (14-30 or 10-30) to 6-50 adapter on the dryer side. Dryer outlets are typically 30 amps, so you'll want to crank the amperage on the car side down to 24 amps maximum.

You could also use a 30 amp rated extension cord, but it's harder to find those with compatible plug ends. something along these lines. Then you'd use the 10-30 adapter on the Tesla side as well. This is a little bit safer because the car won't physically let you select more than 24 amps.

Just keep an eye on the dryer-outlet side for any signs of failure (melting). It would typically be the dryer plug itself that would fail. To be extra safe, charge at 20 amps instead of the full 24.

Extension cords aren't recommended for permanent use, but if this is a few months to a year while you sell your house, it shouldn't be a problem if you keep an eye on it. Careful about damaging the cord (eg repeated slamming of a door on it), and pull the dryer outlet side and look for signs of failure every so often.

As to an extension cord, first determine if the dryer outlet is a 10-30 (3-prong) versus a 14-30 (4-prong). You should be able to find a 50-foot extension cord, just make sure it is approved for outside use. And make sure it is NOT an L10-30 or L14-30 - this is the locking version. BTW, a 10-30P / 14-30P is the plug and a 10-30R / 14-30R is the outlet. I would think a 50-foot version combined with the mobile connector’s 20’ reach should work. You will of course need to buy the appropriate Tesla adapter.

Reactions: bwilliams
If you're looking for the least expensive option and have a bike, find the free plugshare near by. Put car on charge, pedal back.
All joking, I don't think the 110 is a bad option. The reason for some of the efficiency concerns are time vs charge rate. Since it takes longer to charge over time, the vehicle may use some power to operate while it's not sleeping.

Reactions: bwilliams
One suggestion is to download the PlugShare app PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge

You can then use it to find charges near you. Ths will give you options as you continue to work the problem.
My original post talked about this non-option. Closest plugshare is 15+ miles away and how long can a person hang out in a grocery store multiple times per week? I thought I'd bike home then back but not so fun in rainy weather.

• Funny
Reactions: ATPMSD
As to an extension cord, first determine if the dryer outlet is a 10-30 (3-prong) versus a 14-30 (4-prong). You should be able to find a 50-foot extension cord, just make sure it is approved for outside use. And make sure it is NOT an L10-30 or L14-30 - this is the locking version. BTW, a 10-30P / 14-30P is the plug and a 10-30R / 14-30R is the outlet. I would think a 50-foot version combined with the mobile connector’s 20’ reach should work. You will of course need to buy the appropriate Tesla adapter.
OK, worth a try. It's 3 prong, 10-30. 50' should do it. It'll be outdoors. No garage here.

Feels hard to give advice without more information.

Did you say how much you drive during the week?
Where is the closest 120V outlet you mentioned?
Are you trying to run something outdoors and exposed to weather?
Longish thread but yes, answered.

I've contacted the whopping 3 other Tesla owners that I could find here (note on windshield, knocking on doors) I might have found someone who will do the electrical work. After speaking with him I realized I am absolutely out of me element as a DIY electrician. I'm opting for a 14-50 for fairly quick charge and the fact that the mobile connector includes this adapter.

Car delivery delayed due to weather issues across the country so fingers crossed the timing works out.

Reactions: Darmie
I would not be concerned running an extension cord and charging. The cool thing is you can watch for voltage drop on your screen in the Tesla while it's charging, and pick whatever amperage you're comfortable running to charge. If you have lots of voltage drop you're putting a strain on the circuit.

L8d

I found this extension cord on amazon - any thoughts on running a 75' or 100' nema 14-50 extension cord? I would connect to my oven's outlet. Ideally find a splitter as I would like to use the oven on occasion and I would need to pull out the oven every time to switch it without a splitter.

You never stated how many miles you plan to drive daily, i.e. for your commute. Level 1 charging using a 5-15 receptacle at 120V and 12 amps is a good fit for someone who drives ~30 miles per day.

All of the other options you have, i.e. dryer receptacle or oven receptacle are too far away to be practical for regular use. Repeated plugging and unplugging from dryer outlets, 14-50 oven receptacles is not recommended as these receptacles are not designed for this type of repeated use.

The cost of those heavy gauge extension cords would be better spent on installing a 240V charging circuit and the Tesla Wall Connector outdoors on the side of the home. (This does not have to be a 50A or 60A 240V circuit. A 20A, 30A or 40A, 240V circuit would work just as well for most EV home charging needs.) You would be able to add the cost of the charging circuit to the cost basis of your home when you decide to sell the home.

Last edited:
You never stated how many miles you plan to drive daily, i.e. for your commute. Level 1 charging using a 5-15 receptacle at 120V and 12 amps is a good fit for someone who drives ~30 miles per day.

All of the other options you have, i.e. dryer receptacle or oven receptacle are too far away to be practical for regular use. The cost of those heavy gauge extension cords would be better spent on installing a 240V charging circuit and the Tesla Wall Connector on the outside side of the home. You would be able to add the cost of the charging circuit to the cost basis of your home when you decide to sell the home.
I found this extension cord on amazon - any thoughts on running a 75' or 100' nema 14-50 extension cord? I would connect to my oven's outlet. Ideally find a splitter as I would like to use the oven on occasion and I would need to pull out the oven every time to switch it without a splitter.

Update on options: I spent the morning following wiring from electrical panel to various outlets in the house and found a 6-20 unused outlet (to steam oven that came with the house with 6-15 plug; never used). Attached are images at the electrical panel and the outlet itself that I removed. The wiring is easy to move to outside the house therefore not needing to run an extension cord through a window which wouldn't work well in winter, obviously. The wire cable says 12 gauge, so 20A max, I believe. I have essentially no electrical experience but I think this is something I can manage. I will run the cable through conduit under my deck and install a waterproof box connected to decking post. Any advice appreciated.

Daily mileage is difficult to answer as I'm retired. Long commutes here to several recreational activities I do.

IMG_1390.jpeg
breaker.png

Update on options: I spent the morning following wiring from electrical panel to various outlets in the house and found a 6-20 unused outlet (to steam oven that came with the house with 6-15 plug; never used). Attached are images at the electrical panel and the outlet itself that I removed. The wiring is easy to move to outside the house therefore not needing to run an extension cord through a window which wouldn't work well in winter, obviously. The wire cable says 12 gauge, so 20A max, I believe. I have essentially no electrical experience but I think this is something I can manage. I will run the cable through conduit under my deck and install a waterproof box connected to decking post. Any advice appreciated.

Daily mileage is difficult to answer as I'm retired. Long commutes here to several recreational activities I do.

View attachment 957691View attachment 957692
Sounds doable. However, if you have no experience whatsoever, I encourage you to get some kind of knowlegable help. You should also know that in most jurisdictions, such work needs a permit, and since you're going to put putting in a new outlet, it'll require a GFCI breaker.

Also, assuming you're planning on keeping a Tesla mobile connector outside, you may want to give some thought to giving the body of the connector weather protection. It's not rated for outdoor installation in the same way as the wall connector.