Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Least expensive charging option better than 110

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you purchase the Tesla Wall Connector then you won't need to use a GFCI circuit breaker (you can use the existing 20A double pole breaker).You won't need a water proof housing for the receptacle. The Wall Connector is rated for use indoor and outdoors.
You would in my area. Codes vary greatly by location. For instance, only metal conduit is allowed to carry anything over 6' by me. My sister who lives 100 miles down state, has Romex throughout her house.

You would in my area. Codes vary greatly by location. For instance, only metal conduit is allowed to carry anything over 6' by me. My sister who lives 100 miles down state, has Romex throughout her house.
Separate from conduit requirement, when you install the Tesla Wall Connector there is no receptacle as the Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sounds doable. However, if you have no experience whatsoever, I encourage you to get some kind of knowlegable help. You should also know that in most jurisdictions, such work needs a permit, and since you're going to put putting in a new outlet, it'll require a GFCI breaker.

Also, assuming you're planning on keeping a Tesla mobile connector outside, you may want to give some thought to giving the body of the connector weather protection. It's not rated for outdoor installation in the same way as the wall connector.
Thanks - yes, would really like to find help with this. 3 electrical contractors have actually returned my call - all too busy to do the work. So far no luck finding the 6-20 adapter only - don't want to pay for the entire collection of adapters that I will never use. I will plan to weather protect the connector and visit an electrical supply house to get the best available.

Not sure, but I think we were fellow Nissan Leaf owners and met long ago via Leaf owner group ...

Thanks - yes, would really like to find help with this. 3 electrical contractors have actually returned my call - all too busy to do the work. So far no luck finding the 6-20 adapter only - don't want to pay for the entire collection of adapters that I will never use. I will plan to weather protect the connector and visit an electrical supply house to get the best available.

Not sure, but I think we were fellow Nissan Leaf owners and met long ago via Leaf owner group ...
The 6-20 power plug is very common on entry level Level 2 EVSE rated for 3.8kW; 240V/16A. You would use the Tesla J1772 charging connector adapter that comes with every new Tesla vehicle. These EVSE cost in the same range or less than the Tesla Mobile Connector. Some of these EVSE have much longer charging cords than the ~18.5 foot charging cord that comes with theTesla Mobile Connector, some are even longer than 25 feet.

Last edited:

It's possible. I had a 2011 LEAF, and was pretty active in the MyNissanLEAF forum at the time. I didn't do much in person, but did attend a LEAF event or two.

Update on options: I spent the morning following wiring from electrical panel to various outlets in the house and found a 6-20 unused outlet (to steam oven that came with the house with 6-15 plug; never used). Attached are images at the electrical panel and the outlet itself that I removed. The wiring is easy to move to outside the house therefore not needing to run an extension cord through a window which wouldn't work well in winter, obviously. The wire cable says 12 gauge, so 20A max, I believe. I have essentially no electrical experience but I think this is something I can manage. I will run the cable through conduit under my deck and install a waterproof box connected to decking post. Any advice appreciated.

Daily mileage is difficult to answer as I'm retired. Long commutes here to several recreational activities I do.

View attachment 957691View attachment 957692
Nice find. 6-20 will give you plenty of range.

As others have said, if you don't have electrical experience, make sure to watch some YouTube videos and be overly cautious. Call a professional if you have any hesitancy. I personally don't love running continuous current through wire nuts, but it's to code. Just make sure you have a secure connection. Also be sure to tighten down the screw terminals on the outlet very tightly (DO NOT USE THE STAB TERMINALS!).

You are probably supposed to have a GFCI on that breaker if you run it to an outdoor outlet. Swapping a breaker is a little more involved. If this is temporary, I wouldn't worry too much. Just be aware that you aren't protected from electrical shock when plugging and unplugging the mobile connector itself, although the car side will be protected by the mobile connector. You will probably get flagged by an inspector for this when you go to sell the house too FYI.

Wall connector set to 16 amps would avoid the GFCI issue and be a little more robust outdoors (mobile connector should be kept out of the rain), so that's another option.

Reactions: bwilliams
Separate from conduit requirement, when you install the Tesla Wall Connector there is no receptacle as the Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired into the circuit.
Sorry, I know the wall connector is hardwired. It seemed you were referring to a GFCI circuit breaker, which I'm sure you know, is at the panel. We need that in the absence of a GFCI outlet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sorry, I know the wall connector is hardwired. It seemed you were referring to a GFCI circuit breaker, which I'm sure you know, is at the panel. We need that in the absence of a GFCI outlet.
Not unless this is something new * or specific to IL code. The Wall Connector has built GFCI that protects the user when plugging or unplugging the Tesla charging connector from the Tesla vehicle's charge port. The GFCI breaker would protect the user when plugging or unplugging the power plug from the receptacle. As previously noted, there would be no receptacle since the Wall Connector is hard wired.

* There is a new requirement in the latest revision of the NEC to have a GFCI for outdoor 120V/240V equipment (including hard wired equipment of most types such as water pumps with more equipment to be included in the coming years, i.e. HVAC compressors.)

Reactions: Mike728
Nice find. 6-20 will give you plenty of range.

As others have said, if you don't have electrical experience, make sure to watch some YouTube videos and be overly cautious. Call a professional if you have any hesitancy. I personally don't love running continuous current through wire nuts, but it's to code. Just make sure you have a secure connection. Also be sure to tighten down the screw terminals on the outlet very tightly (DO NOT USE THE STAB TERMINALS!).

You are probably supposed to have a GFCI on that breaker if you run it to an outdoor outlet. Swapping a breaker is a little more involved. If this is temporary, I wouldn't worry too much. Just be aware that you aren't protected from electrical shock when plugging and unplugging the mobile connector itself, although the car side will be protected by the mobile connector. You will probably get flagged by an inspector for this when you go to sell the house too FYI.

Wall connector set to 16 amps would avoid the GFCI issue and be a little more robust outdoors (mobile connector should be kept out of the rain), so that's another option.
Thanks for this info.

Here's what I'm considering and have learned at this point. This might be beyond the scope of this forum but would appreciate your input. I've watched (low bit rate) youtube videos on breakers; the most helpful has been The Spruce with articles and good videos.

This is what I've read:
  • Romex is not for outdoor use which is what I have (my situation is to run 20' under covered deck - mice are my biggest concern)
  • Don't run romex in conduit due to heat build up.
  • GFCI/AFCI is a must as far as I'm concerned
A few possible options on this project:
  1. Replace the 20 amp double pole breaker with a 50 amp double pole breaker, install new 50 amp wiring and conduit, install a 14-50 exterior outlet.
  2. Keep the existing wiring, install exterior 6-20 outlet, buy Tesla 6-20 adapter included in expensive adapter package.
  3. Keep the existing wiring, install exterior 14-50 outlet (to be run at 16 amps max) so I don't have to buy the 6-20 adapter.
What I'd like to know is what limits the current to 80% on 20A outlet - the adapter? I'm guessing I would need to manually limit the current to 16 amps if I use the 14-50 adapter with 20 amp circuit via car software - which isn't terribly reliable I've learned in my 10 years with the MS.

Here's what I'm considering and have learned at this point. This might be beyond the scope of this forum but would appreciate your input. I've watched (low bit rate) youtube videos on breakers; the most helpful has been The Spruce with articles and good videos.

This is what I've read:
  • Romex is not for outdoor use which is what I have (my situation is to run 20' under covered deck - mice are my biggest concern)
  1. Replace the 20 amp double pole breaker with a 50 amp double pole breaker, install new 50 amp wiring and conduit, install a 14-50 exterior outlet.
  2. Keep the existing wiring, install exterior 6-20 outlet, buy Tesla 6-20 adapter included in expensive adapter package.
  3. Keep the existing wiring, install exterior 14-50 outlet (to be run at 16 amps max) so I don't have to buy the 6-20 adapter.
What I'd like to know is what limits the current to 80% on 20A outlet - the adapter? I'm guessing I would need to manually limit the current to 16 amps if I use the 14-50 adapter with 20 amp circuit via car software - which isn't terribly reliable I've learned in my 10 years with the MS.
Since I can buy the individual 6-20 adapter this is what I plan to do. Upgrade to 50 amp at later date.

This is what I've read:
Number 3 is not an option. The 6-20 adapter is what limits the amperage to the correct level.

Reactions: bwilliams
Correct, no romex outside nor in conduit. Just buy individual THHN wires from Home Depot and run in conduit.

Dual pole combined GCFI & AFCI breaker will be potentially hard to find and expensive & requires swapping your breaker out. Make sure you are confident in that task (don't just buy any old breaker -- it needs to be listed for use in your panel to pass inspection). Also to be clear, GCFI and AFCI are two different things with different functions. AFCI prevents fires due to bad wiring. GFCI prevents humans from getting shocked. How old is your house? Are other outdoor outlets GFCI protected? Are other breakers AFCI protected?