Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Least expensive charging option better than 110

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, no romex outside nor in conduit. Just buy individual THHN wires from Home Depot and run in conduit.

Dual pole combined GCFI & AFCI breaker will be potentially hard to find and expensive & requires swapping your breaker out. Make sure you are confident in that task (don't just buy any old breaker -- it needs to be listed for use in your panel to pass inspection). Also to be clear, GCFI and AFCI are two different things with different functions. AFCI prevents fires due to bad wiring. GFCI prevents humans from getting shocked. How old is your house? Are other outdoor outlets GFCI protected? Are other breakers AFCI protected?
got it on all those points from lots of reading about this. The Spruce is a fantastic resource. House built by "homeowner" rather than contractor in 2003. Building codes rather lax here in the woods.

Update should anyone be interested: I have now used the 6-20 outlet for over a month and it is plenty fast enough for my needs (as others suggested). Very glad I went this route as the cost was only the mobile charger plus 6-20 adapter. I built a box and sealed it at the outlet - weatherstrip needs redoing so not pretty but works great.

IMG_0085.jpgIMG_0086.jpgIMG_0087.jpg

Looks like yellow Romex, which is 12 gauge, and is the right value for a 20A circuit.
Yes, I simply re-routed the existing 12 gauge romex that was already there to the defunct 240v oven outlet. I didn't bother with the GFCI as my neighbor stated "we never needed that in the past". He's a retired linesman so I went with his comment. I will not be standing in any water when I plug and unplug at the outlet which is rare anyway. I made the box from scrap wood and the back is solid wood (no seam) also stained with sealant - the sealant remained tacky for days and that's why the weatherstrip stuck and tore. The box is under cover though small amounts of water with driving rain can and does get on it. I also did not use any conduit and hoping my resident mice don't chew it. I'm hoping the folded extra romex isn't a problem - the romex does not get hot while charging. So, I did cut corners and will need to revisit in the future but it's working great now.

Oh. Yes, quite correct, that it's not being used properly, being exposed like that.
fwiw, the romex is under cover and it's on the to-do list to go with proper wiring in conduit soon. I really just needed to convince myself that this is really all I needed to charge my car without spending $$ and finding out it wouldn't work. My MS in California has fast charging and now I know that is just not necessary though more cost effective in CA for sure. No time-of-use break here in the woods.

edit update: right now I have had many issues with this car - steering very serious - that charging is the least of my worries. I was more likely to get killed with the steering problem than electrocuted charging. but that's another thread already addressed ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Knob-and-tube wiring was state of the art for a while, too. I don't understand why we got away from it. /s
😆. ya, not saying I agree with the guy 'cause the ones who needed it aren't around to voice their opinion. still, I knew probably I didn't need to shell out for it immediately and I was not gonna electrocute myself.

This car is likely heading to CA because 6 hour round-trip drives to the closest service center is a bit much.

GFCI isn't a big deal if you are careful IMO. Exposed ROMEX on an outdoor deck seems pretty sketch though lol.

Does the car really need to be serviced enough that the lack of a service center is an issue? If it's new you might just be hitting some early failures due to crappy Tesla quality control and once you get past those issues you'll be fine for a while.

GFCI isn't a big deal if you are careful IMO. Exposed ROMEX on an outdoor deck seems pretty sketch though lol.

Does the car really need to be serviced enough that the lack of a service center is an issue? If it's new you might just be hitting some early failures due to crappy Tesla quality control and once you get past those issues you'll be fine for a while.
Just curious - what's the concern about romex run under a covered deck? I really don't know the issue but I do know it's done a lot here.

The service center bit was definitely not fun costing me 2 full days (4 trips) including a long trip with the tow truck driver. Ya, maybe no more crises but still windshield wipers that run on clear, sunny days in AP and the fact that AP scares the daylights out of me and just isn't meant for these rural roads, best guess (meaning TACC). I'm leaning toward another basic ICE vehicle with ordinary cruise control, sell my MS and keep the MY in California where the SC is 20 minutes away. I simply do not trust this car. There are few cell towers here so breakdowns away from home are serious concerns. Driving home with a "broken" steering rack? Geez. My MS worked nearly flawlessly for 10 years so I was caught off guard with this car. Jury is out.

Romex isnt designed for outdoor conditions. It has a bare copper ground wire in it that is not adequately protected by the sheath. You could run the Romex through conduit for the part that's outside. A lot of people will try to say you can't, but you certainly can.

Romex isnt designed for outdoor conditions. It has a bare copper ground wire in it that is not adequately protected by the sheath. You could run the Romex through conduit for the part that's outside. A lot of people will try to say you can't, but you certainly can.

OK, thanks for this information.