Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went to my usual crowded super charging station that always has a wait. And some guy I met there told me he saw 2 old guys fighting each other, or arguing about who was next. He said they were on their phones and they all forgot who was next so they started arguing who was next to charge.

But I guess that both being two old guys, maybe grandparent age say like 70+ years, I guess they don't really understand how EV charging works or maybe were not prepared for the entire life change from gas. And maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere. I usually see a camaraderie among Tesla owners, especially millennial aged people or those who are slightly older than millennial. Sometimes I will find other Tesla people who are knowledgeable and you always learn something new.

Like for example, I learned its best to charge at empty two stalls. Like if 8A & 8B are both open, go to that one because you get the faster charge since you're not sharing with another stall. And another guy told me to look if the supercharging is 72W or 120W, and choose highest number for fastest charging.

Well, this one has an attendant so nobody can cut in front of each other. And you only go when your name is called.

So I went to my usual crowded super charging station that always has a wait. And some guy I met there told me he saw 2 old guys fighting each other, or arguing about who was next. He said they were on their phones and they all forgot who was next so they started arguing who was next to charge.

But I guess that both being two old guys, maybe grandparent age say like 70+ years, I guess they don't really understand how EV charging works or maybe were not prepared for the entire life change from gas. And maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere. I usually see a camaraderie among Tesla owners, especially millennial aged people or those who are slightly older than millennial. Sometimes I will find other Tesla people who are knowledgeable and you always learn something new.

Like for example, I learned its best to charge at empty two stalls. Like if 8A & 8B are both open, go to that one because you get the faster charge since you're not sharing with another stall. And another guy told me to look if the supercharging is 72W or 120W, and choose highest number for fastest charging.

Well, this one has an attendant so nobody can cut in front of each other. And you only go when your name is called.

Speaking as an 'old guy', I would say you're using a pretty broad brush here. Doubt if their age is at all relevant.
Also, FYI, there are no paired 72kW superchargers (the smaller pedestals). Those are urban chargers with no sharing.

So I went to my usual crowded super charging station that always has a wait.

Since you're in OC, I'm going to guess Fountain Valley?

I've never charged there, but I have heard of people having arguments there (one involved a person who knowingly cut in front of everyone but claimed to need it for an emergency.. and another where a person was in line, left their car to go to Taco Bell, came back but realized they were skipped because they were not in their car and then proceeded to make a fuss about other people not following etiquette)

• Disagree
Reactions: KerryOH
Tesla ought to do a queue system like Uber/Lyft do for drivers at airports.

When Uber/Lyft drivers pull into the designated airport staging lots they are placed into a queue, and the system assigns everyone a rider in order of their arrival. It shouldn't be difficult to do something like that with superchargers. Once it is your turn it can say go to charger X, and if someone else tries to cut you off the system won't let them charge.

It seems like a handful of superchargers could benefit from this.

Maybe being older as you say (70s) they value the time waiting to charge more than younger people and are willing to fight over it? I have noticed that as one ages the patience for waiting for things wears thinner...even saw this in my mom and I know I use to be more patient. Sure there are impatient people in all age ranges though. Haven’t done that much charging at SCs and can’t say I’ve ever seen a fight or disagreement amongst owners before. Only encountered lines a few times. I think parking garage charging situations might be more frustrating with other cars trying to get parking spaces too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Big City
These people are not capable of charging at home? I find it hard to believe that they were all on long trips and needed to charge because they were too far from home. And let's be realistic, if you bought an EV with no means to charge it where you live or work, you probably deserve to sit in a long line on a regular basis.

Charging at home costs money, especially with California electricity rates. If I had a S or X I would go charge for free.

I've seen a few fights at superchargers, usually by seemingly very entitled people who "have somewhere to be" and somehow assume that their time/business is more important than everyone else's. One guy even made demeaning statements about "those Model 3 types," as if they were peasants and he was a lord. I've been asked by one owner to wait until their car finishes before I move into the stall next to them because they don't want to split the load with me and get reduced charge rates. I've charged all across the country in my 100k miles and frequent road trips and this behavior does not seem to be isolated to just one region.

Rich people in a hurry do neat things.

Charging at home costs money, especially with California electricity rates. If I had a S or X I would go charge for free.

That’s the most ridiculous argument. Gas/diesel costs money too (and more than electricity rates, even in California), whether the gas station is in your garage or down the street.

You are one of the people being discussed here. Glad you don’t own an S or X.

Ageist comments. Thought the Millenials had evolved past discrimination. Diversity and all that.

Also posting based on hearsay. Not cool

I was at a Supercharger last week, that had need vandalized. Someone had messed with some of the connectors. Everyone pulled together to sort it all out. One guy handled the staging line, another brought drivers into one suspect stall after another to see which ones were working. This kept people in line from pulling into a dead stall. Another walked down the line to inform everyone what was happening, and gathering information from line waiters on the phone to Tesla to determine what they saw and to inform Tesla of the situation.

Never a short word. People of all different ages, sexes, wealth and political leanings worked it all out. There were Model 3/S/X. All shared the Brotherhood of Tesla.

I went by the next day and all but one of the stalls was back in service. Evidently Tesla sent someone out that night and attended to the issue.

Totally different experience than what the OP claims.