Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging fights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad we don't have these problems on the east coast. In almost 4 years, I have waited for a supercharger exactly twice. Once was in Connecticut at a location that only had 2 stalls at the time, and the other was in a temporary location at a shopping mall that isn't even there anymore. It seems to be getting a little more crowded with the introduction of the Model 3, but still not really an issue.

I disagree. Congested superchargers are a sign of tesla success. Hopefully we will see more of it spreading to the rest of the country. Expiration of free supercharging and network expansion will slowly take care of the problem anyway

Also, if chargers were set up more like gas stations, where you have to get in line
and then pull forward to go past the pump/charger, there would be a natural que.
In Europe, in general the EV charger are located next to gas stations and food stores.
This help also, especially if you have passengers, as there are restrooms facilities.

the problem with SC is when they are crowded, there is no natural way for everyone to agree on a que,
and it is frequently not obvious visually. Leads to arguments when not everyone is paying attention,
and when some decide they are more important than others in the world.

I look like that you have to stop your car in the middle of a lane, blocking other cars parked next to the chargers.
Best would be to register to a waiting list and park your car in an empty spot until your turn arrives.
At least when the Super Chargers at located on the back of a parking zone area, there is less problem with other cars.

My employer always had a ton of Tesla's, and since the launch of the model 3 you'd swear our parking lot was the delivery center. We're also lucky enough to get free charging, but the problem is we have Tesla's sucking on them all day long. This one douche has a 25-mile commute but still charges to 85% on his long-range M3. I can't imagine how many others do that. Some people just have no manners.

Reactions: Donz_S
I disagree. Congested superchargers are a sign of tesla success. Hopefully we will see more of it spreading to the rest of the country. Expiration of free supercharging and network expansion will slowly take care of the problem anyway

I considered this, but I think long waits at SCs may signal “success” for Tesla in the short term, but in the long run would discourage people from adopting EVs. So, we’ll have to agree to disagree:)

Right now, I am surviving off my low end 110W iphone style charger. I don't have a big commute and usually commute one city distance for work, so round trip starting with 90%, I come back round trip with about 75-80%. And I don't have to worry about skimping on doing errands or making another outta the way stop.

I think I would only have to be concerned is if I did an OC to LA commute, something that could put a 90% battery to 40-50% round trip.

I just bought the Elon Musk siganture edition wall connector off Craigslist, off another Model 3 owner for $425. The $100 savings was alright, but the special edition makes the going outta the way worth it. I'm waiting to get it installed, but once I do, what is the lowest percent you can be at to be at full 90% charge in 12 hours?

Right now, I always plug it in because that 110W is super slow, so every minute counts for it to be plugged in when doing nothing. But I know I can have a full 90% charge in 12 hours if the battery was around 75-80%

Since you're in OC, I'm going to guess Fountain Valley?

I've never charged there, but I have heard of people having arguments there (one involved a person who knowingly cut in front of everyone but claimed to need it for an emergency.. and another where a person was in line, left their car to go to Taco Bell, came back but realized they were skipped because they were not in their car and then proceeded to make a fuss about other people not following etiquette)

It's mainly San Clemente Mall or Main Place Orange. Main Place always has a wait during awake hours. San Clemente has more and never had to wait there. I live in Lake Forest / work Irvine so I'm waiting for the Irvine & Mission Viejo SuperChargers to open up, which would definitely more on my way for commuting in any direction, and would come home with more charge since less distance to travel.

I did Fountain Valley today, my first time today, but at like 12am. I'm sure that one fills up since it's next to the freeway and has shopping. Which is now why I try charging during sleeping hours if I am on the road, just to take advantage of not having to wait.

Wow, I guess your problems are because you live in that other state of California. I have never seen any fighting at a supercharger. I’m one of those old people and I do not think this issue has anything to do with age. If you are an idiot at 70+ you were an idiot at 20.
I live there too...against my will. But I also charge at home, so this isn’t an issue for me.

Right now, I am surviving off my low end 110W iphone style charger. I don't have a big commute and usually commute one city distance for work, so round trip starting with 90%, I come back round trip with about 75-80%. And I don't have to worry about skimping on doing errands or making another outta the way stop.

I think I would only have to be concerned is if I did an OC to LA commute, something that could put a 90% battery to 40-50% round trip.

I just bought the Elon Musk siganture edition wall connector off Craigslist, off another Model 3 owner for $425. The $100 savings was alright, but the special edition makes the going outta the way worth it. I'm waiting to get it installed, but once I do, what is the lowest percent you can be at to be at full 90% charge in 12 hours?

Right now, I always plug it in because that 110W is super slow, so every minute counts for it to be plugged in when doing nothing. But I know I can have a full 90% charge in 12 hours if the battery was around 75-80%
It should charge at 30mph...so should easily get to 90% over night

So I went to my usual crowded super charging station that always has a wait. And some guy I met there told me he saw 2 old guys fighting each other, or arguing about who was next. He said they were on their phones and they all forgot who was next so they started arguing who was next to charge.

But I guess that both being two old guys, maybe grandparent age say like 70+ years, I guess they don't really understand how EV charging works or maybe were not prepared for the entire life change from gas. And maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere. I usually see a camaraderie among Tesla owners, especially millennial aged people or those who are slightly older than millennial. Sometimes I will find other Tesla people who are knowledgeable and you always learn something new.

Like for example, I learned its best to charge at empty two stalls. Like if 8A & 8B are both open, go to that one because you get the faster charge since you're not sharing with another stall. And another guy told me to look if the supercharging is 72W or 120W, and choose highest number for fastest charging.

Well, this one has an attendant so nobody can cut in front of each other. And you only go when your name is called.

I hate threads like this.

One incident does not deserve a thread.

You could/should have kept this to yourself.

These poor nerds lay the cart before the horse. Getting a Tesla while renting in a condo and supercharging daily. Not a good life for either the owner or the battery pack, 4 sure.
To be very fair to us city dwellers (at least on the east coast), most houses in our cities don't have garages or even driveways. It's street parking only, or simply you don't own a car. So if you want to have an EV, you have to make compromises...

(worth noting that those houses that don't have garages, they still cost in the millions...it's insane)

Last edited:
So I went to my usual crowded super charging station that always has a wait. And some guy I met there told me he saw 2 old guys fighting each other, or arguing about who was next. He said they were on their phones and they all forgot who was next so they started arguing who was next to charge.

But I guess that both being two old guys, maybe grandparent age say like 70+ years, I guess they don't really understand how EV charging works or maybe were not prepared for the entire life change from gas. And maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere. I usually see a camaraderie among Tesla owners, especially millennial aged people or those who are slightly older than millennial. Sometimes I will find other Tesla people who are knowledgeable and you always learn something new.

Like for example, I learned its best to charge at empty two stalls. Like if 8A & 8B are both open, go to that one because you get the faster charge since you're not sharing with another stall. And another guy told me to look if the supercharging is 72W or 120W, and choose highest number for fastest charging.

Well, this one has an attendant so nobody can cut in front of each other. And you only go when your name is called.
There's a whole lot of ageism in this post. It might get pulled simply for that reason. As someone who is a grandparent and who actually has to educate Millennials about Tesla and EV charging technology, this seems particularly inappropriate. And as for the condescending tone, condescension is one of the things that leads to this kind of combat over limited resources. The whole idea behind Tesla is that we have to think about what's good not just for us but for the planet and for that strange person next door who we may not even like that much and whose views are very different from ours. Your comment while complaining about fighting and squabbling paradoxically doesn't seem to capture a whole lot of that Spirit of Tolerance and Brotherhood

• Informative
Reactions: Dmagyar
maybe they think waiting is like a huge nuisance to them, and probably don't care about the whole vision of trying to be sustainable, and just wanna get somewhere .

Waiting IS a huge nuisance, and I do just want to get somewhere. I didn't buy this car to save the world, or impress strangers.

That said, I charge at home because I value my time (and if I couldn't charge at home, I'd have bought another car powered by explosions), and superchargers outside of urban areas don't seem to ever be particularly full. In the year-and-a-bit since I got the car, I've never had to wait to charge.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ